Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » The Road Show is back!!

Author Topic: The Road Show is back!!
Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2006 08:20 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Ziegfeld in NYC is playing Dreamgirls in a reserved seat, twice per day, exclusive showing at $25 per ticket, which includes a souvenir book. The next three or four days are already completely sold out. The Ziegfeld has about 1150 seats, which means they're grossing over $57,000 a day not counting candy counter sales in only two shows. The Ziegfeld, like most NYC theatres, usually schedules at least four to five shows a day, sometimes more.

I imagine they'll do this until the film goes to wider release when other theaters in NYC will also be playing the film.

I can't decide whether this is a good thing or a bad thing. On the one hand, it harkens back to the days of first-run showings of films like West Side Story, Lawrence of Arabia, etc., which used to play on Broadway for a year before moving out to other theaters. It makes going to the movies a special event and at those prices, you would presumably get a classier crowd. And if theaters can really get $25 per ticket, it seems to me that 70mm or some other advanced technology could once again be viable.

On the other hand, I like picking out my own seat and who wants to pay $25 for a movie that got mixed reviews (or almost any movie for that matter.)

Thoughts?

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-15-2006 08:46 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's another thread about that here.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: