Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Floor drains

Author Topic: Floor drains
Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2006 04:19 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy everyone,
Does anyone know if there is a cover of some kind that can be placed on a 12x12" enamel floor drain? We have one under our counter that catches popcorn and misc. garbage reguarly.
Since this is a "kitchen" area that already disqualifies anything non-stainless steel.

I don't know off the top of my head, but I'm thinking health code prohibits covering these at all?

Anyone else have this problem?

EDIT: The sole purpose of this drain is to catch the drainage from the soda fountain/ice bin.

|  IP: Logged

Daniel Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2006 04:52 PM      Profile for Daniel Wright   Email Daniel Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt you can cover it, but it there any way to install a trap inside of it. Some sort of mesh strainer perhaps?

But why should popcorn kernals be a problem, why wont they just wash down?

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2006 05:15 PM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are looking for something to keep assorted trash from cloggin up the pipe, we use these to block them. They let liquid drain away, but keep the other stuff that gets kicked in the drain through the course of the day from going down the pipe. They just sit over the drain opening.

Dome Strainer

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2006 10:55 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks good, but looking at how it'd be protruding from the floor, I can forsee a trip hazard.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2006 02:57 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charles,
the drain in question is like a tiny sink. It's about 6 inches deep.

We have one of those in it, however we want to keep paper and stuff out altogether. I'm thinking there's no simple remedy.
Oh well.
Looks like we'll just have to keep cleaning it every night.

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2006 03:59 AM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have the same type of floor sinks here, and they all have covers that have slots in them to allow liquid through, but stop trash (paper, popcorn, etc). I can't seem to find the covers anywhere online, but it it's any consolation, we still have to clean the floor sinks every night because crap still manages to get in them. The little dome thing I linked to earlier keeps it from going down the pipe and clogging anything up, but the floor sinks still manage to collect quite a bit of stuff during a day.

The covers are more for safety, as they keep people from stepping into an open hole. Since your's is under a counter, that may not be a priority. They make lift out baskets that fit into the sink, they just have to be emptied every so often. I would still empty them everyday, because weird smells can be created fast in a wet, trash occupied environment.

Christopher Neill
Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2006 12:39 PM      Profile for Christopher Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Call your local commercial plumber, they either have or can get these for you...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: