Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Do you charge for babies? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Do you charge for babies?
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-04-2006 03:23 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...We currently let anyone under age 3 in free, but I'm wondering about others. My wife thinks we should charge for EVERYONE even if they're 1 day old, since babies cause such disruption. I'm thinking of compromising by lowering the age to 2.

What is your policy on this?

|  IP: Logged

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2006 03:29 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If there big enough to occupy a seat, they pay. If they are small enough to require them to be held by mothers/fathers, they are free.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2006 03:59 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Child 2-11

Cinemark charges at 1 for that very reason - they do not wish to encourage the bringing of children that small to the theatre.

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2006 05:41 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That free child can disturb a whole audience and add to their reasons to give up cinema visits in favour of home theatre. Good value!
Parents of littlies become ferocious when they are asked to pay for them to see a kids’ film. “No other theatre charges,” they insist.
You have to stand up to a lot of abuse to enforce the policy of charging for 2 and up.
We do explain that, in case of emergency, it is our duty to account for every body and every body must have a ticket.
Babes in arms are an exception because they remain attached to the parent.
We do request that any upset child must be taken out to the foyer.

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2006 07:15 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they can walk or talk they pay. It amazing me how many parents will try to get their kids in for free to a Disney or any other animated film.

Christopher Crouch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2006 08:27 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch       Edit/Delete Post 
The theatres I've worked at have tried to go with 2 and up. Of course, enforcing this has often proved problematic. Parents tend to automatically omit small children from ticket purchases, claim the child is under the required ticket age, and/or try saying the child will sit on their lap.

I've always been amazed by how many parents are angered with having to pay for their small children; especially when they are attending a childrens' film (ie. they don't want to pay for the very individuals that are the reason they are attending the film in question).

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2006 08:29 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Infants are charged at the child price, for the disruption reasons previously cited. Everyone needs a ticket to get past the ticket taker- no exceptions. The "they'll sit on my lap" doesn't cut it.

Listen to your wife, Mike. [Wink]

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2006 11:55 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We let children 3 and under (or is it 2 and under? I don't work box much and don't remember) in for free, of course since I work for a major chain, you know that's company policy rather than a house rule. Oh well, we don't seem to have a problem with it though, si it's one I won't complain about.

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2006 12:29 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For us, it's 2 and under that get in free. Other than that, the parents have to pay the child's price. No exceptions! Of course, luckily, I haven't worked box office since June, so I don't have to deal with the upset parents who don't want to pay the child's price since I am now working booth 100% of the time.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-05-2006 02:32 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the outdoor cinema we do 4 and under free. it's a big part of our business..families who can't afford (or don't want to subject others) to have their kids at a hard top.

We welcome them...but they can make a lot of noise and still not disturb the others too much.

If it's a big issue, why not advertise a matinee per weekend as kids 6 and under free? They'd most likely come to that and leave the other shows free of little 'uns making noise.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 12-05-2006 02:59 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, we give them away free. [Smile]

Seriously, I've seen several cinemas recently that have special 'Babes in arms' shows, usually up to one year old.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2006 05:20 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The mother and baby screenings are becoming more common in the UK. Some distinguish between babes in arms and toddlers. I think that most put the sound down and have half lights on for the feature.

The chain I worked for had a policy that if the parent wanted a separate seat for their child they had to pay for it.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-05-2006 06:26 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stephen Furley
No, we give them away free.
Yeah yeah yeah, I thought about that after I posted it but figured someone would make that joke, so decided to leave it. I'm just surprised it took this long! [Big Grin]

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2006 10:18 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
The mother and baby screenings are becoming more common in the UK. Some distinguish between babes in arms and toddlers.
Dejavu, the feeling you've read this thread before.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2006 10:38 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Were 2 and under is free.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: