Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Best shape for a cinema?

Author Topic: Best shape for a cinema?
Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2006 11:48 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been wondering what thoughts film-techers have about auditorium shape. does anyone have an ideal?

I have suspected that the following shape would be very good as it is the typical shape of a speaker box so acousticly would be good (which is also same shape as the Egyptian bricks used in the Pyramids).

Hight 0.6
width 1
depth 1.6

variations of less than 10% seem to have little effect

This shape would also allow a for a good sized big screen. Cubes typically have a bad sound so do tunnels, seven and eleven sided shapes sound even better Any thoughts and ideas?

What shape is your favorite cinema? sound is not the biggest isue just one [Big Grin]

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-03-2006 12:42 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The very best shape is probably not going to happen again: shell shaped with the screen at the small end.

The aim is to avoid rectangular spaces, which have as their only advantage: economy. Louis

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2006 02:45 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is an excellent book by Russian film technican E.M. Goldowski about widescreen systems and theatre design that has some good design theories and propositions regarding viewing angles and room shapes. I believe there was an English translation, but I don't know the title.

Original title:
Goldovskij, Evsej Mihajlovic:
Ot nemogo kino k panoramnomu

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 12-03-2006 05:35 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
The very best shape is probably not going to happen again: shell shaped with the screen at the small end.

That works well, at least with larger auditoria, but it's not good for silver screens, and therefore no good for 3-d, if that makes a comeback in polarised form.

Is anybody even talking about making any new live action 3-D films, or is all the new digital stuff computer generated animation so far?

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2006 11:02 AM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A number of people have said that they'll make live-action 3-D movies, including James Cameron, George Lucas, Robert Zemckis, Robert Rodriguez, and Peter Jackson.

Louis, with the shape you described, would seats fill the entire auditorium? What would be the ideal seat location?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-04-2006 11:53 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phillips published a very good design book called Designing the Cinema back in the 60s

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 12-04-2006 12:42 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Phillips 32 page pamphlet I have is called "Planning a Cinema," "a publication of the Electro-acoustics Division of Philips (sic), Eindhoven, The Netherlands." ®1964. This is probably the one Gordon referred to.

It deals with the "Cinematographical part," the "Acoustical part," and the "Lighting part" of room layout and projection. It's filled with drawings, calculations and lists many "rules" one should stick to. I would say it recommends against a rectangular box auditorium, which of course, most are.

I'll check with Brad and see if we can get it scanned for the manuals section if appropriate.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-04-2006 02:59 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats the one
The screen curvature ccalculations are interesting

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: