Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Server Popcorn Warmers

Author Topic: Server Popcorn Warmers
Paul Van Dusen
Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2006 03:30 PM      Profile for Paul Van Dusen   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Van Dusen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, my district manager decided to replace our warmers that are circa 1976 with the server popcorn warmers with the movable platform to raise the popcorn level. So here's my question, does anyone know how to disassemble these things for cleaning, or maybe even have a manual they can scan and send to me. We got them from another theatre so they're in pretty crappy condition and we're planning a cleaning day and it'd be nice to know how to actually remove some parts to get them cleaned better.

|  IP: Logged

Jarryd Beard
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2006 04:25 PM      Profile for Jarryd Beard   Email Jarryd Beard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just go to their website. They're still around. Documentation is available for download. Below is a link for the warmer with butter dispenser built it. They have the model without the dispenser as well. Just go back to the main concession page.

http://www.server-products.com/en/DS_04400.htm

We have one of these. Does anybody out there know a good way of putting butter on larger bags of popcorn (135oz +)? The divider wall between the two bins doesn't allow for centering of a large bag under the butter pump. You have to go all the way around the edge of the popcorn. It is very easy to get butter down the sides of the bag by doing this.

Paul Van Dusen
Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2006 06:37 PM      Profile for Paul Van Dusen   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Van Dusen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was my first thought too, but the file on the website is corrupted.

Jarryd Beard
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2006 07:28 PM      Profile for Jarryd Beard   Email Jarryd Beard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can pull up the files just fine. Don't click on the actual "Manual" link, but rather the numbers 1 and 2 to the right of the link. They are PDF files.

Paul Van Dusen
Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2006 09:05 PM      Profile for Paul Van Dusen   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Van Dusen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that's what i did and it said manual 1 was corrupted.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-21-2006 09:08 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you have an old version of Acrobat Reader?

Paul Van Dusen
Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2006 10:55 PM      Profile for Paul Van Dusen   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Van Dusen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought of that, updated, still no go. I'm going to try again when I get off work, it may be my laptop.

Bill Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2006 07:20 PM      Profile for Bill Carter   Email Bill Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody got a source for the Glo-Coils that heat these bins? I'm told they are new-old-stock, not made for some time. Surely there is some edison base equivalent for these 600-watt heater coils.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-28-2006 12:30 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bill Carter
Anybody got a source for the Glo-Coils that heat these bins
...chek on your local appliance store for these Glo-Coils, or one can also chek into www.proctorco.com for coils as well.. - Some Glo-Coils do come in either cone or straight porcelian shell for the 660w varieties, but there are some 1000w cone varieties as well.

But, if you're thinking on using the 1kw cone ones, better replace the socket to a much heavier duty porcelian ones that can handle that much wattage..and make sure that your using nichrome wire as well - not the copper based variety due to copper hates heat and breaks down easily.

Also, if you trade out to nichome wire, use stainless steel crimp connectors instead of the nickelplate copper ones..for the same reason due to copper breaks down due to the heat..

quote: Jarryd Beard
Does anybody out there know a good way of putting butter on larger bags of popcorn (135oz +)? The divider wall between the two bins doesn't allow for centering of a large bag under the butter pump. You have to go all the way around the edge of the popcorn. It is very easy to get butter down the sides of the bag by doing this.

..that's an easy fix - so easy you'll feel so bad..

Put the warmer at the edge of the counter so that the spout is actually over the floor. This way even 170oz bags or tubs can be filled with ease and not on the edge either.

(In as much as I do projection technical jazz, I also do concession technican junk as well...)

-Monte

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2006 01:48 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte, the despenser Jayrd is talking about is built into the warmer. It kind of blows to be honest, but gotta work with what you have I suppose.

Paul Van Dusen
Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2006 04:20 PM      Profile for Paul Van Dusen   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Van Dusen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was talking to the manager of the theatre i got these things from, he was saying he hates the hand pump and prefers the automatics ones that are built into the bins. We personally hate the way the new ones look. That and the ones we have are designed for pre-pop bags, and since our popcorn popper isn't behind the concession stand, we kind of have to per-pop.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2006 05:51 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have counter top butter warmers Paul I'd just keep using those and not even bother with the butter pumps built into the warmers.

Paul Van Dusen
Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2006 01:01 AM      Profile for Paul Van Dusen   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Van Dusen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well we kind of have to now considering the heating element is shot in both of the butter warmers. lol

Brian Jupp
Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2007 02:43 PM      Profile for Brian Jupp   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Jupp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glo-coils or Ceramic Cone Heaters can be purchased from Akinsun Heat Co.: http://www.akinsun.com/

I just purchased some of the 500w ones and can't imagine going any hotter. I have older Server popcorn warmers with the nonadjustable bin level.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: