Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Megaplex Managers question. How do you use your ushers? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Megaplex Managers question. How do you use your ushers?
Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2006 08:23 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a dilemma. I am in a megaplex 15+ screens. The problem comes mainly on the weekends. We seem to have enough ushers to do the job properly, but they always seem to miss opening and closing doors on time. They seem to each take a handful of theaters and take responsibility for them. The problem comes where they can't seem to get to all of their movies stop/start times. There is no TEAM, its a group of individuals doing the least amount of work as slowly as possible. My question is this: How do you use your ushers so they all get their work done. Is there a number of ushers per theater minimum? Do you assign ushers to specific theaters? How do you keep track of them to ensure they are doing their job? I just hate walking around and seeing doors left open, or patrons leaving and having to open the doors on their own. Anyone that has any proven working system, please let me know. I need to set something up immediately. Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2006 09:14 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ideally you want one person per screen at evenings and weekends. That way they can be in the screen at start and end and can hop out in the middle of the film to help clean other screens.

However few cinemas have the budget for this, my suggestion is four floor staff for 7 screens when busy and three, maybe two when quiet. No excuse for not closing doors, toilet checks and so on. Rota one bunch of people for screens 1-7, another for 8-14 etc and get them to stick in that specific area. You don't have to check tickets at the screen this way because it will be obvious to the staff who is jumping screens or if kids are alone in an R and so on.

Do you have screen and toilet check sheets? They are the easiest way to monitor floor staff, it is obvious when they are faked as you can match with CCTV if needed. Radios are useful too.

That is pretty much how we did things during my time on the floor, we were lucky people worked together well though and knew when to work hard and when to relax.

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2006 10:30 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could help to have an usher signal on the lights up/lights down cue on each cinema's automation.

At our single, we have a simple door chime hooked up to our automation - perhaps in a multi a light might be more practical.

As an aside, there are some customers you can't beat to the door open cue, they have mastered the Le Mans start and they are into their cars and have them started before the first cue reaches the top of the screen.

This is particularly so in a film with end scenes under the credits, where our side-lights up cue doesn't come till the scenes disappear.

While I'm at it, I HATE after-credit scenes. Most of our audience has stumbled out in the dark and abused our staff while both people who have foundthe last scene info on the net wait till the end. Then you are closing curtains on a blank screen. Do producers think that no theatres have curtains any more? [Mad]

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2006 11:08 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
four floor staff for 7 screens when busy and three, maybe two when quiet.
that would mean we'd need 8 or 9 ushers for a 15 plex? Way to impractical. 4 ushers for a Friday or Sat night is a luxury, and even then, they don't do their job. I'm looking for a good way to monitor or ensure that they are doing their job without ME needing to follow them all around and check up on them. Punishment doesnt seem to work, spot checks never work because they always have excuses (lies) as to why something wasn't done. Other than tagging each other with GPS devices, I'm at a loss. I need structure for them...then I need a way to ensure they follow the rules.

Jeff Lacey
Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2006 01:20 AM      Profile for Jeff Lacey   Email Jeff Lacey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the day at my 16 plex, the senior manager on duty assigned management personal to each work with a group of staff members. IE, one manager would take concessions, the other box and floor duties, while the other manager would work with the ushers. It seemed to work pretty well. Of course, you'd need three management on duty, but I don't think that is out of the question for a busy mega or multiplex.

If cost is of a concern or management lacking, I would consider making certain trustworthy staff members the captains or crew leaders. This way, you as a manager would have one point person in order to question where the ushers were and what they were doing.

Both examples have worked very well in all the locations that I have worked. I won't venture into the obvious fact that you should have quality staff members for your theater, but if they are lazy or telling you lies when you question them, why do you still have them on staff?

The whole issue here sounds more like a management issue than an employee issue. What happens when you're not there? Does the management let them do whatever they want? The key is to be consistent with the staff and have them well trained. The whole concept of being a manager is to manage the staff. You cannot do it all yourself and effort needs to be made on all members of management. It's been my experience that management fails the employee more often than employees fail management. Yelling or threatening them all the time will not work (as you are finding out). They need a leader of some type and someone to show them what you expect from them. Don't think that they will just get it. Someone either managment or the trainer is teaching them bad habits, and your job is to correct that.

On a side note, if its the same group of ushers working together all the time, mix up the crew. Like in hockey, if one line isn't working out, switch up the lines until it does.

Hope it helps!

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2006 04:31 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Dubrois
I'm looking for a good way to monitor or ensure that they are doing their job without ME needing to follow them all around and check up on them. Punishment doesnt seem to work, spot checks never work because they always have excuses (lies) as to why something wasn't done. Other than tagging each other with GPS devices, I'm at a loss. I need structure for them...then I need a way to ensure they follow the rules.
Jeff's recommendations are right on the mark. At some point you are going to have to jump in, Frank. YOU have to lead, guide and set the example for your people. You cannot drive them from the rear, you must lead them from the front.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2006 10:11 AM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that would mean we'd need 8 or 9 ushers for a 15 plex? Way to impractical. 4 ushers for a Friday or Sat night is a luxury, and even then, they don't do their job.
What do you do about covering breaks? Who cleans the screens? If some staff aren't even doing the floor job properly they need the sack.

I'm looking for a good way to monitor or ensure that they are doing their job without ME needing to follow them all around and check up on them. Punishment doesnt seem to work, spot checks never work because they always have excuses (lies) as to why something wasn't done. Other than tagging each other with GPS devices, I'm at a loss. I need structure for them...then I need a way to ensure they follow the rules.
Go with Jeff's ideas. A lot of staff that care would jump at just being given the role supervisor/team leader. I would have done it for no extra pay purely because it would have looked good on my CV along with (hopefully) my degree.

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2006 12:01 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank--

You have answered most of your questions yourself. Just
remember... The Answe To Any Problem Lies Within The Problem itself. [B][/B] The Door swings both ways! [thumbsup]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 11-22-2006 05:26 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As has been said, management is a matter of providing leadership. You have a staff that needs direction, yet you say you want the system to run on its own.... not likely to happen.

As our theatre got busier, we started noticing problems like what you describe. Yes, there was some laziness involved, but we also had a lot of new employees, and nobody had emerged as a staff "leader". Things didn't get done, and nobody seemed to feel responsible. Bathrooms didn't get serviced as we'd like them to be, it took way too long to close the place down at night (read: increased payroll) and after the staff was gone we'd usually find things that weren't done right, if at all.

We fixed the problem by breaking down shift responsibilities into printed lists, then assigning tasks to specific staff members. That eliminated the finger-pointing and shoulder shrugging. The employee was on our time, he/she had a specific function, and he was taught that his job, and therefore his pay was tied to his performance in his assigned area.

Start by dividing up your theatre. Assign your screens, cleanup, bathrooms and auditorium checks among your ushers. Give each a list of show start/stop times and a written breakdown of what you expect during each performance and when. If necessary, the employee signs off on the list as things get done... a big pain, yes... but a fairly positive motivator.

If something doesn't get done, you have a specific person to chat with, rather than walking into the mess and asking "who didn't get this done"? The other ushers will appreciate not being lectured, if they're actually doing their jobs... and you can focus on any problem people directly.

If/when the staff settles into the routine, you can slack off a bit on direct assignments. They might actually get to the point where they split off to various rooms themselves. If things break down, go back to the formal list. They'll get the idea.

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2006 07:51 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
I think they're good dipped in butter and fried with a few Cajun spices.

Sorry, sorry ... it's just been one of those @#$%&* days.

Bring back cute "bellboy-style" usher uniforms.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2006 07:27 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Each individual usher should have a specific job to do. The problem nowadays is the limited payroll companies have. What I have found is this: you need to have an usher supervisor(s) who can work Friday night, Saturdays and Sundays. Pay them extra (or at least more than average). Usually a college student is a good candidate. Have a team of ushers scheduled Friday night, all day Saturday and matinee Sundays (depending on your business). The key is that each usher has a specific duty once the shifts starts. When cleaning theatres - three or four should be used (maximum per theatre) and it should only take two usher supervisors less than 15 minutes to clean a dirty 300 seat auditorium (BTW) - as well as the 3 or 4 regular ushers with this system. One sweeps the aisles and one picks up the larger trash. You can have a third sweep up the piles at the end of each aisle that the 'sweeping usher" leaves (one usher uses a push broom - the other a broom and dust pan). After these tasks are completed, the small broom usher can get underneath the seats (to the best of his ability) while the other ushers head to the next auditorium. As far as 'door closing' - have an usher 'in charge' of that. If you or a supervisor find a door left open - reprimand the usher that was put in charge of it.

If you have a large multiplex (or 'mega')- you have have more than one 'team' of ushers. Each of them knowing exactly what their job function is when their shift starts. I sometimes will have a 'floating' supervisor who heads into theatres when the customers are exiting - to say goodnight to the patrons and to assess how much time will be needed to clean. There is a prep method that can be used to speed up the process too. Moving all large trash items to the end of each aisle.

I have mentioned this one before: I have a punch card system that I have successfully used at all the theatres I have managed. This system can address the 'door closing' issue as well. E-mail and I can give you specfics - or do a search on here to find my previous posts. I am thinking about patenting the damn system. It's cheat and it works VERY WELL. It basically insures that all theatres are really checked by the ushers and that all is well in each theatre. The punch card system has to be used in a specific way for it to actually work correctly.

Anyways - GOOD LUCK!

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2006 03:26 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I got my start as an usher the manager I had did a wonderful job of breaking up the ushers into teams. Usually the matinee team would work friday, saturday, sunday morning, and oposite teams for the evening. Same people most weekends. We all knew each other and worked well together. Nothing new there.
On each team was the "movie host" who was a glorified usher, like a supervisor, who would make sure everybody was where they needed to be.

What's more the enthusiasm shown by the leaders rubs off on most employees. Once the blue team is excited about kicking the read teams butt the cleaning gets more thorough and a lot faster.
Over the summer I gave incentives to our "usher superstars".
For the ones that actually enjoy these things it's a great reward and motivator for doing a good job.

I've also found getting involved, working side-by-side, with every worker when they're still green gets them accustomed to my pace.
Let the shining stars under you know they're secure and let them teach the newbies but don't take your hands off the wheel if you don't have that luxury yet.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 11-24-2006 08:19 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ron writes, "While I'm at it, I HATE after-credit scenes. Most of our audience has stumbled out in the dark and abused our staff while both people who have foundthe last scene info on the net wait till the end. Then you are closing curtains on a blank screen. Do producers think that no theatres have curtains any more?"

I guess I'm just ignorant not having grown up with curtains.
How does this work? Do you normally close the curtains over the MPAA and AFL/CIO logos? Doesn't that make them unreadable?

Anyhow, isn't the easy solution to attach some sort of appropriate snipe after the end of the film that you can close the curtains on? Seems easy enough...

--jhawk

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-24-2006 11:01 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, closing the curtains over anything makes it unreadable. When we had a curtain, I would always close it when the final thing onscreen was just beginning to fadeout. The curtain would be about 3/4 closed when the picture finished the fade.

Our curtain was manual at that time, so it was easy to open and close it at the right time.

I really want to get a curtain put back in someday...it's on my list. A nice dark green one with gold border.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 11-25-2006 03:13 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So how do you handle the rating? Or Uni?

--jhawk

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: