Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Does anyone know about Bowtie Cinemas?

Author Topic: Does anyone know about Bowtie Cinemas?
Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2006 05:22 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Putting the feelers out there.

Looking for information on Bowtie Partners, Criterion Cinemas, or the Movieworld Corporation.

Found their websites and everything. I am looking for anyone who has worked or are working for them. Looking for that 'personal perspective' on the companies.

Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-10-2006 06:15 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam and I met Joe Masher over the summer during the THS tour. He was a nice guy who seemed to care about quality.

I haven't actually seen any of their theatres and thus can't comment on them.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 11-10-2006 07:53 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Photos of their New Haven, CT, location

Tom Doyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2006 09:54 PM      Profile for Tom Doyle   Email Tom Doyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never been to any of their theaters, but I hear nice things about them. Bowtie is buying out Crown, so there'll be more of them in this area soon.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2006 06:46 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tom Doyle
I've never been to any of their theaters, but I hear nice things about them. Bowtie is buying out Crown, so there'll be more of them in this area soon.

Hence the reason I asked. I did not want to be the one who said it.....

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2006 02:38 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From Boxoffice.com:

quote:
Crown Theatres Sells 95 Screens in Maryland and Connecticut
11/10/2006

South Norwalk, Conn.-based Crown Theatres has sold 12 sites for an undisclosed sum to exhibition-industry investors Bow Tie Partners.

Formed in 1998 by father-and-son team Charles and Ben Boss, New York-based Bow Tie specializes in redeveloping “historic and architecturally significant properties.”

The company’s acquisition from Crown comprises 95 screens throughout Connecticut and Maryland, bringing Bow Tie’s total theatrical holdings to 137 screens at 17 locations. --Francesca Dinglasan

John Joseph Fink
Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2006 06:19 AM      Profile for John Joseph Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John Joseph Fink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This doesn't shock me, I had thought that Crown would be on its way out the way they've been selling off theaters (Neonopolis and the Florida arm of its opperation). I have been to two Crown sites in Hartford, CT - they were pretty decent. Now in CT, it seems almost certain that Cinema City will close when Criterion Cinemas opens its Blue Back Square art house in West Hartford.

I have been to the Criterion in New Haven, it's a nice theater with quality projection (and great popcorn). I wonder if Crown's Movie Madness (during the week tickets are 6.00 and 4.00) will stick around at the Palace in Hartford (I don't know if its been successful). The Palace also offers hot foods like chicken fingers and (awful) pizza. I would have thought though that some of the newer Crown sites, like the Palace would have been aquired by someone larger, like AMC or Regal. But I sensed the chain was on the selling block (they inhanced their value by starting to invest in upgrading their theaters and opperations got better). Will they keep the Crown name or rebrand the sites?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: