Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » New ID program at a Kerasotes Theatre

Author Topic: New ID program at a Kerasotes Theatre
Justin West
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2006 11:09 AM      Profile for Justin West   Email Justin West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a report on a new program at a Kerasotes multiplex in Cicero, IL. A New Kerasotes Theatre Is Forcing Cicero Minors To Sit Through A Lecture Before Attending Night Screenings (if they are not accompanied by parents). Some will ask if the adult patrons shouldn't go through this class as well?!

Details at:
http://cbs2chicago.com/local/local_story_307205358.html

|  IP: Logged

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2006 01:49 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GOOD ! It's about time somebody does something to these
damn kids to stop their unacceptable behaivor in theaters. That's the reason I don't go to theatres anymore. I got fed up
with loud talking, cell phone usage, and rowdy behavior compet-
ing with what's on the screen.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2006 01:52 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A step in the right direction. I always thought that it'd be cool to require all customers to pass my intelligence test before being admitted, but if that were to happen it would probably eliminate almost everyone!

Edwin Sheldon
Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2006 10:44 AM      Profile for Edwin Sheldon   Email Edwin Sheldon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They're probably doing this because Cicero is on the ghetto southside of Chicago. There was no mention of this being done at other KST locations before I left.

Edit: Article full text for the archives:

quote:
Cicero Movie Theatre Requires Special Teen IDs
A New Kerasotes Theatre Is Forcing Cicero Minors To Sit Through A Lecture Before Attending Night Screenings

Dorothy Tucker
Reporting

(CBS) CICERO, Ill. A new 14-screen movie theater opened in Cicero Friday, but teenagers under 18 can't go at night unless they're with a parent. If they want to go unaccompanied by an adult, they have to take a class and get a ''code of conduct'' ID card.

The theatre chain does not have that policy at the seven other theaters it owns in Chicago. CBS 2's Dorothy Tucker reports that some people who live in Cicero don't appreciate being singled out.

"It's due to disorderly patrons under 18," said Derrek Johnson of Kerasotes Theatres.

Kerasotes started requiring ID cards last year at its theatres in South Bend, Ind. when three teenagers were arrested for fighting. In order to get the cards here, teens and their parents have to sit through a 10 minute lecture.

Although managers here note that activity like cell phone usage and text messaging, which they are trying to eliminate, might occur at many theatres, out of its seven locations in the Chicago area Cicero is the only place where teens are required to have IDs.

"I think it's a form of discrimination. They're not doing it in the any other white neighborhood," said Erasmo Cantu, a Cicero resident.

Cicero is 80 percent Hispanic.

"It's not race related. It's based on crime activity in the demographic area where the theatre's built," said Tim Johnson, a spokesperson for Kerasotes.

Kerasotes' policy is sanctioned by the Cicero Police Department.

"My understanding is that they were doing it at all their theatres. You have to look at the fact that the other areas they might not have the crime rate or gang problem that we have here," said Supt. Anthony Iniquez of the Cicero Police Department.

Police say there have been four gang related murders this month in Cicero.

Some teens also favor the ids.

"It's safer. It's not all that safe here. I think it's actually pretty good," said Michelle Jimenez, a17-year-old student.

Cicero town officials also support the ID cards. A spokesman says the purpose is to send a message to residents that they can enjoy a movie in a safe environment.

(© MMVI, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

John Joseph Fink
Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2006 01:49 PM      Profile for John Joseph Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John Joseph Fink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's the way theaters are aproached. If more folks respected a night out at the movies as more of a cultural event they woudn't have these types of issues. It's interesting but also a form of discrimination they'd try this, even though Ritz Theatres has a policy in their New Jersey multiplex the Ritz 16 to not allow children without a parent.

I understand this but I think there is argument to made here: diffrent price points. I would like to see more luxery multiplexes like The Bridge and the Arclight for a more sophositcated audience that will price out the riff raff, and lower-end venues with cheaper prices for a general audience. But it should note noted it's not just Hispanic and other minorities or even teens in general - I've seen rude behavior by grown adults and even seniors.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: