Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » One-Sheet Typos (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: One-Sheet Typos
Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 11-10-2006 12:11 AM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my staff members just pointed out a funny mistake on the Fast Food Nation one sheet. Look closely at the description box below the rating. The word should be disturbing but they left the b out. Ooops!

|  IP: Logged

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2006 07:16 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you expect considering we now live in a culture that has no respect for proofreading and displays little pride in wanting things to be correct. Mediocrity has become the new excellence.

I see typos everywhere. On signs, restaurant menus, instruction manuals, movie credits, certainly all over the Internet, and maybe even in this post if I'm not careful. The worst is when a place of business is displaying a temporary, hand-written sign. In fact, just yesterday I was in a Starbucks that positions near its cash register a hand-written sign featuring daily trivia. Naturally, it included a possessive word misspelled as a plural. Well, in classic uptight, grammar-nazi fashion, I pulled out a pen from my backpack and wrote the correction right there on the sign in front of the staff and any nearby customer. I then paid the clerk and went off to enjoy my coffee.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 11-10-2006 07:51 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
And what about The Pursuit of Happyness? Who is Happyness and why is she being chased?

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 11-10-2006 10:16 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One either side of our Grand Lobby there are very nice, backlit signs above the stairs leading to the lower level for the rest rooms. On the left end of the lobby is a sign indicating the stairs for the LADIES restroom, which is OK if they intended mean many women, but then what can be made of the sign on the right hand staircase that boldly proclaims MENS? It's been up there like that since the building was built. It's an integral part of art deco facade so no one has ever made any attempt to correct it, and until I pointed it out, no one seemed to notice or mind. I got up there with white-out and drew in an apostrophe. I have to redo it every year or so.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-10-2006 11:28 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the word "HAPPYNESS" is going to have something to do with a plot point in the movie. I don't think it's a misspelling. Either that or the kid will write a school essay or something saying his dad has given him "happyness." It'll be along those lines.

I agree typos are everywhere and they "definatly" drive me crazy.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 11-11-2006 02:50 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike just pointed out the top one that really gets to me. First runner-up ... "prolly".

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2006 04:25 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm tempted to buy the stationary cabinet advertised in a brochure.
I hate the cabinets that follow you around.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-11-2006 06:16 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't a typo, but just a stupidity thing. Once I was watching QVC and some chick was selling a tool set, and on the list of tools was:

COMB. WRENCH

Which of course means "combination wrench." She kept on calling it a "comb wrench" (rhymes with home wrench, that is) and how handy it would be to have a "comb wrench" around the house, and how there were a hundred uses for a "comb wrench" etc.

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2006 08:48 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank - re the "LADIES" and "MENS" signs:

Picture the guy in the sign shop ... "You know, I'm not particular; I likes the ladies, but every now and then I likes the mens too."

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-11-2006 11:19 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, I have ZERO SYMPATHY with any of these complaints. Get used to it. Look forward to more bullshit with movie posters. Be happy with orgasmic joy over the mistakes. That is the only option.

The graphic design industry is woefully infected with lots of wannabe talent-less hacks who think they are "artists" since they illegally downloaded hacked versions of Photoshop, Illustrator and Quark Xpress.

The United States no longer requires anyone to have any formal training, any kind of graphic design degree or any qualifications at all whatsoever -or even a decent portfolio of work. Just be willing to work for $6 an hour and have the "honor of being published" (one of the greatest jerk offs of all for any dumb-ass willing to fall for it).

Most professions require at least some proof of competence in order to gain employment in that profession. The United States has not required that of graphic design in many years. And by that measure our level of graphic design has paled stupidly in comparison to that of many European countries for a long time now. That especially goes to northern European countries like Sweden, which I believe (in my EXPERT OPINION) has been factual for at least the past several years if not longer.

The United States is sucking ass in so many areas. We love to pat ourselves on the back about how great we are. But other countries have been passing us by in many different categories while we've been too busy going on about our own stupid pride.

It all gets back to that cheap-ass "good enough to get by" ethic of our current business culture. Fuck ever doing the job right, or even competently. Sluff it off. Charge the customer double for the trouble on top of that!
[Mad]

If the United States goes down the tubes we only have ourselves to blame for it. No one else. Don't try to blame any politician either. Don't try to blame any other country for it either. It's all OUR FAULT. We don't give a shit about doing a job right at all. We are not willing to pay for it. So if our country and culture diminishes in relevance, we deserve for that to happen.

Hollywood pisses me off so much these days I feel like rooting for greater Europe to torpedo their business into the ground. It would be great really! Watch that whole Hollywood industry implode and have the movie making business center move off to London or Paris or even New Delhi! Watch all those assholes who expect to fetch $750,000 on the sale of a shitty two bedroom house in California take a bath financially! Frankly I think it will be pretty damned cool! At this point, California can fall off in the fucking ocean for all I care -those greedy fuck heads!

Those fuckers out there floating this kind of incompetence should only be flipping hamburgers for a living.
[fu] [Razz]

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2006 12:39 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a comb wrench sounds handy. I want one.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2006 01:09 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
At this point, California can fall off in the fucking ocean for all I care -those greedy fuck heads!

Bobby...not everyone in California is a greedy fuck head.

I agree with your comments in the first half of your post (the stuff on work ethic, pride, etc.) but your transition to Hollywood seems like unrelated venting. What does California falling into the sea have to do with people not knowing how to spell or communicate effectively??!!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-12-2006 12:00 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I was just having some sarcastic fun. Wasn't it obvious with the very ridiculous tone?
[Smile]

Aside from that, it's a pretty serious mistake to have a spelling error on a widely circulated one-sheet.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2006 07:16 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Actually I was just having some sarcastic fun. Wasn't it obvious with the very ridiculous tone?

No, because a good percentage of your posts have that same tone.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 11-13-2006 02:01 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm married to a writer/editor and if I don't catch a typo she will. Toronto newspapers appear to have fired their proofreaders and rely on spell-checking programs, with all there (sic) usual problems.
A business on the main street of the Beach (Toronto neighborhood) put up a new sign with quite large letters reading "Honey Bee Restautant". I have a hard time understanding how the sign maker, installer, and client all let that one go.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: