Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Can you tell a fake ID from a real one? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Can you tell a fake ID from a real one?
Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2006 01:15 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious how many people can actually tell a real ID from a fake. If you THINK an ID is fake, do you deny admittance? I came across a questionable ID, out of state, all taped up. At what point do we turn someone away because we THINK the ID might be fake? Is there a resource for fake ID's? I don't want to be fooled by a fake ID, but then, I don't want to turn someone away for showing a valid ID that I am simply not familiar with. Does your theater have a policy on this issue?

|  IP: Logged

Edwin Sheldon
Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2006 05:56 AM      Profile for Edwin Sheldon   Email Edwin Sheldon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My employer, by policy, only accepts government-issued photo IDs. Not that it really matters. I doubt a single one of my employees could tell a fake out-of-state license from a real one, let alone a mil ID or any of a number of less common ID types.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 10-24-2006 07:10 AM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know there is a book you can get with pictures and details of licences/State IDs from all 50 states. Don't ask me where to get it though, I see it a lot in convienence stores. Haha, I'm not much of a help.

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2006 08:41 AM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rachel is 100% on the money.

-

Get the book

At my "day job" we keep one handy.

Hope this helps.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-24-2006 01:13 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Umm...does it really matter? It's not like it is really the end of the world if some kid with a fake ID happens to get into an R- or NC-17-rated film.

Obviously, this is a completely different issue (and one which needs to be taken very seriously) for theatres which serve alcoholic beverages and are subject to licenses and fines for serving underage customers.

Edwin Sheldon
Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2006 04:36 PM      Profile for Edwin Sheldon   Email Edwin Sheldon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a big deal if half your customers are suburbanite housewives just looking for a reason to complain. The second one finds out her little Timmy got into Saw III, you'll never hear the end of it. [puke]

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2006 06:12 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, and in Australia there are severe penalties for cinemas that allow under-age admissions to MA15+ (must be accompanied) and R18+ (no admission.

It is difficult to tell a 14 year old girl/woman or a 17 year old 6 foot boy.

Add to this the technology available to kids that make possible the production of perfect fakes and we have a problem.

Unfortunately, our authorities have lumped the problem on the theatre operator.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2006 06:59 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
Umm...does it really matter? It's not like it is really the end of the world if some kid with a fake ID happens to get into an R- or NC-17-rated film.
Yes..it does really matter. Everything you do at work SHOULD matter. If a parent found out that their child bought a ticket and went into a NC-17 movie because the ticket seller just didn't care, your opening yourself up to a lot of problems. Glad you dont work in a bar...

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2006 07:09 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the point Scott was making is that at a bar its the law and at a theatre (at least in the US) its not.

While I would agree an obvious fake would need to be turned away-how many 'good' fake ID's could you honestly expect to see at a theatre? I mean, people get fakes when their 18 to show their 21 so they can get into a bar. I don't see a kid dropping $80 plus on a 'good' fake ID just to see a movie.

The real 'fake' problem you'd have is people using someone else's ID that is older than them but looks close enough to pass.

I guess it comes down to that policies do need to be enforced but to what extent. Do you really want to treat your customers like criminals?

PS-For what its worth in our area the problem is exactly the opposite-I've had parents get quite nasty at me because I WOULDN'T let their teenage kids go to a movie unless they accompanied them.

Opening weekend of Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning I had a lady get quite pissed at me after I was called to box because I wouldn't let her buy the tickets for her kids. Her kids ended up buying for Accepted and predictibly sneaking into Texas. While doing my routine pre-show auditorium check I spotted them and told them they had to see the movie they had bought tickets for. They opted to leave-not very happy, sarcastically yelling 'Have a nice day' to me over their shoulder as they exited the theatre.

The next set I walked by the same two kids-waiting with their movie to get into the movie. The mother remarked with a sneer, 'There's your friend.'

Sometimes I don't know why I even fucking try.

Edwin Sheldon
Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2006 02:41 AM      Profile for Edwin Sheldon   Email Edwin Sheldon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I've had those people, too. I also once had an unaccompanied 16-year-old girl who asked to see a manager at box office because she got carded. (I don't know what she expected to accomplish, being 16 and unaccompanied by an adult!) She then complained that she got carded and said that she was only carded because she wasn't as ugly as my box office cashier! Oh, the NERVE of some people! [fu]

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2006 01:44 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone knows that if the rating system was enforced the way it should be, we wouldn't have any school shootings or any other problems at all, and the world would be a perfect place.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 10-25-2006 04:18 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jesse Skeen
Everyone knows that if the rating system was enforced the way it should be, we wouldn't have any school shootings or any other problems at all, and the world would be a perfect place.

I really hope that was sarcasm...

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2006 06:03 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dustin Mitchell
Opening weekend of Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning I had a lady get quite pissed at me after I was called to box because I wouldn't let her buy the tickets for her kids.
If a parent buys the tickets for her kids, we accept that as parental approval. Like you said, the rating system isn't law, its just a system to inform people and parents of the movie content. We, in the business, put the restiction on children going to R rated movies. If the parents see the rating, know about the content, but will make the effort to come in and buy the tickets for the kids, who are we to say NO to that? I must admit that I've NEVER carded anyone for a PG-13 movie, nor will deny admittance to a 12 year old...I mean, how can that be enforced? 13 year olds dont have ID. Its definately an imperfect system, but we have to as much as we can...and just make the best of it.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 10-25-2006 06:19 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Va. movie ratings/admissions are not law, strictly voluntary for ratings less than NC-17 or X, we don't card for anything less than those ratings.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2006 06:57 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't card for rated R movies? Even if an 8 year old wanted to buy a ticket?? Thats....not good.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: