Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Dreamworks to Deluxe/ETS as of 10/14 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dreamworks to Deluxe/ETS as of 10/14
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-29-2006 12:55 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to a fax just received, Dreamworks is switching to Deluxe/ETS for film shipping starting with playdates commencing on 10/14.

Reel replacement / "Customer Call Center" number as of 10/13: 800-734-3969.

(I wonder how much longer TES will be in the film shipping business, the way companies keep deserting them.)

|  IP: Logged

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 09-29-2006 02:00 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't Paramount buy Dreamworks? I seem to remember something about that, and if that's so, that might explain the switcheroo.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-29-2006 02:23 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, they did, and it probably does.

Ross Oba
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2006 02:56 PM      Profile for Ross Oba   Email Ross Oba   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish more companies would use TES because they have a section on their website that has a Reel ID section similar to the one on this site.

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2006 06:34 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The one thing I don't like about TES, is the policy on getting films the night before, and picking them up the morning after. Forces you to do alot of rushing if you're getting or losing alot of prints at a time.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2006 06:49 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found over the years that if you keep up the maintenance on your make-up tables and take a little extra time following a make-up to prepare for the eventual tear-down, things go very easy on Thurday nights. Tore down seven prints last night and still clocked out before 1:45 AM.

As for ETS, they have occasionally lost prints because of their laxed stance on pick-ups. Fact is: If we're not running it, I personally don't want to be responsible for it . . . even if it is in the box by the stairs ready to be shipped.

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2006 07:04 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point. And if there are better preparations to be made, I'd like to learn them. I am here, not to be a platter kiddy punk, but to learn. I'm no where near as experienced as many of the people on here, though I may offer up information I feel to be valid at time, I do enjoy reading and learning on here.

Not direct on subjet, but I would like to take the moment to thank the masters on this forum. Their input, whether direct or indirect has been an invaluable asset, and to Brad, and those that run the site. Even the goofy ones, like Phil, I do appreciate his and their posts. On subject, why does TES have the policy on next day returns, and day before shipments?

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2006 07:23 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like TES because a professional company is involved in delivering the film.

Here in Maryland - there is this really crappy company called Hi-Way Film that everyone is forced to use with ETS/Deluxe. These guys delivery film in between thier party stops on the way out to Ocean City. Seriously, a guy on a bicycle could do a better job. Every week, as I am closing the theatre for the damn night - is when the film gets here. It's quite f*cking annoying!

<RANT ON>

While we are on the subject - how come they can't get the film to me in a timely manner - yet they are wanting their damn films on Friday mornings now! This sh*t is getting out of hand with these friggin people! I am tellin ya! GRRRRRRR!

</RANT OFF>

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-29-2006 07:43 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..kinda goes like this -

· Friday, October 13, 2006 - Prints for all DREAMWORKS playdates commencing on or before 10/13/06 will be delivered and retrieved by TECH, (orange can) unless otherwise notified by Paramount.

· Saturday, October 14, 2006 - All new bookings for DREAMWORKS playdates commencing on or after 10/14/06 will be supplied by ETS, (grey can).

..another film company that ETS has to handle...as if they already have probs at time getting prints to the locations by thursday...

-Monte

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 09-30-2006 11:10 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least in my area, the service provided by both companies is becoming much more even.

Each company has its irritating quirks, but lately I've had no major problems with either.

Since I have no elevator to the booth, my biggest gripe is those single boxes that ETS is shipping their prints in... and they don't always check to make sure the DTS disks are in the cans.

TES and DHL still have coordination problems now and then, but nothing more serious than that... this year.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2006 12:13 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both services in Minneapolis have become slightly more coordinated & reliable. Far fewer late or missed pickups. Windows are usually adhered to & in the rare occasion we're doing a Thursday evening release, as with some Warner Bros. titles, lately, we can count on the print being available Wednesday (even if Snakes was a major maybe on that day).

Let's see if they can weed out the scratched, misspliced attachments...

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-30-2006 12:29 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The biggest problem we have with ETS is film ends not taped down properly. I've put notes in the cans about this but still, we get film with 1" strips of old masking tape that can't hold in transit.

And, they don't ever use a filler reel like TES has started using. (THANKS, TES!) So when 6 reels are in a 7-reel Fox box, they flop around, fall apart and create a mess. It's always an adventure opening an ETS print!

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2006 02:16 PM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thursday nights are a madhouse around my 16-plex. In the last three weeks, we have shipped out a total of 22 prints and built 24. Having to build and screen 9 prints, and then break 8 for shipout the next day is a severe drain on booth staff. Even with 3 projectionists on duty, you're still there until 3 or 4 in the morning.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 09-30-2006 02:22 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
The biggest problem we have with ETS is film ends not taped down properly. I've put notes in the cans about this but still, we get film with 1" strips of old masking tape that can't hold in transit.
Chances are they never saw the note. I've asked both companies about that. Unless the studios pay them for the incremental service, they may not even open the cans. If the last theatre put a stale cheeseburger in the can, you'll get it.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-30-2006 05:03 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our next MT Association of Theatre Owners meeting, we have the lady who runs the Montana ETS depot coming to meet with us. So I'm going to pass on all the usual concerns and see what happens. Who knows, it might filter out into some of the other depots.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: