Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Parents taking kiddies to watch Jackass (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Parents taking kiddies to watch Jackass
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 09-27-2006 02:10 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I don't get the humor in Jackass, I understand that it has its place with a lot of folks. That said, I REALLY do NOT understand parents who bring their 12, 10, 8 year old kids in to see this movie. Then they somehow manage to sit there with them through the entire thing without getting up and leaving. Nor do I understand the adults who drop off about six or seven kids so they can go in by themselves and watch it.

Worse I think are the random adults who try to bring in random kids whom we've told can't come in because their parents aren't with them. These kids go out and solicit a total stranger to take them in, and the adults try to do it. One guy came to me saying that he bought tickets for the 14 teeny-boppers behind him. When I asked him what the first kid's name was, he just looked at me for a second, blinked, and said, "I don't know his fuckin name!" Nice. So, I told the kids they couldn't come in. Then the guy got in my face about it, so I asked him for his ticket. Guess what... he didn't have one. He wasn't even watching the movie! What the hell? So, I explained that first of all, the adult has to go into the theater and sit with the children. And since he's not going in, they're definitely not going in. He continued to get irritated and wanted to see where that was written, so I directed him to the manager, who directed him to the movie's poster, and then sent him and the teeny-boppers on their way.

I really don't get this determination to bring kids into this movie. I have cousins that age. I can't see myself sitting there, watching these guys "milk a horse" and then throw it on each other while he's sitting next to me in the theater.

Am I a complete fuddy-duddy on this? I really don't have anything against college dudes watching this, or whoever is over 17 watching it, but kids have no place watching this in my opinion. Am I getting too old for this business?

|  IP: Logged

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2006 03:41 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with you, Mark. And, I don't think you are getting too old for this business. Anyway, in my opinion as well, kids don't need to see this movie. My floor staff has had to kick out alot of those kids (under 17 who aren't with a parent or legal guardian & those without an ID).

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 09-28-2006 02:37 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will disagree with you both and argue that kids should be seeing this movie. I have my 10 year old daughter watch this stuff all the time. And I watch it with her... allow me to explain...

First, I did much of these things and many more when I was younger, and suffered the multiple injuries and near death experiences that accompany them. By watching this stuff with my daughter, she and I not only have good bonding time, she also sees what kind of a person I was when I was younger, before the all the disabilatating problems of course.

She also sees in me the result of years of stupid behavior. I am living proof as to why this stuff has long term ramifications that are never shown. She learns from me how the pain catches up after years of self torture for fun. I can barely walk to the mailbox. She knows how bad this stuff is.

She also learns from watching it happening that people do get hurt, and look entirely stupid. We laugh at their expense. We laugh at them, not with them. She learns we should pity their existence, not envy them.

Three of my four kids have avoided these self mutilating activities. My oldest decided it would be fun to play chicken with a golf card. He was on a bike, his friend on the card. They slammed into each other at full bore, and he got twisted clean nearly to hell and back. He managed to not break anything, but learned how painful behaving like an ass can be.

I think in the right context, it can be a very good learning tool.

Ciao

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-28-2006 12:54 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those Jackass movies are a disaster waiting to happen. Remember when the idiot college kids laid on the highway imitating a scene in "The Program" a few years back? Somebody was injured (or killed maybe?) so Disney cut the scene out of the movie.

As soon as somebody gets killed or permanently disabled while making one of the Jackass "stunts," they will stop making them. Meantime, I just hope no innocent kid gets killed trying to imitate those guys.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-28-2006 01:01 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark J. Marshall
Am I a complete fuddy-duddy on this? I really don't have anything against college dudes watching this, or whoever is over 17 watching it, but kids have no place watching this in my opinion. Am I getting too old for this business?

No, you're not getting too old as previously mentioned. It's just the "PARENT" in you coming out which means that you CARE!

I'm that way as well, and shoot, I've been that way many-a-times in this business on some of the junk that hits the screen and seeing youth desparately wanting to see this junk.

-Monte

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2006 08:01 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd agree, too many people trying to defeat the system. I don't nessisarily agree that no one under a certain age can see a certain movie because I acknowlege that not every kid will try those stunts, and not every kid will take it out of context. A parent should know their kid and use their hopefully good judgment. I would point out that it is those kids trying to finnagle their way in, without supervision, are the kids that need to see it the least. If they can't understand policy, and try to cheat it, it means their judgment, and maturity, are not suited for the film.

John Joseph Fink
Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2006 09:42 PM      Profile for John Joseph Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John Joseph Fink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jackass was fun, at least it gets a reaction out of an audience, it makes for great opening night/weekend viewing. As for the ratings system is anyone in agreement that the R-rating is far too broad. Should a film that uses the F-word a few times and doesn't feature any violence/sexual content get the same rating as Jackass? Would you rather teens go see a movie like Limbo (rated R for seven uses of the F-word and one that I tried to see alone when I was 16 and was turned away) or a movie like Hostel (which was wall-to-wall intense violence without any wit). The rating is far too broad for its own good. In certain cases, like Limbo, I don't see the point to the rating. Jackass is fun - and responsible, a warning apears in all ads and at the opening and closing of Jackass 2. If anyone tries what they just had fun watching they're an idiot and thats there fault.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2006 09:46 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any influence Jackass has had over people has already happened. The first show aired in April of 2000 and picked up steam quickly. Kids were sending in their own stunts shortly after in an attempt to gain fame. Now, they replay the original unedited on Comedy Central. Nothing they do from here on will convince anyone else to do dangerous stunts. Besides, their stunts haven't really gotten any crazier, only the gross factor has increased. Members of Jackass have already been permanently disabled because of stunts, but regardless I don't see them doing any more until Johnny decides his bank account is low and he needs to rally the troops to make another movie.

I agree that kids should in no way see this movie, but it's because of the language, nudity and gross stuff, not the stunts. If someone kills themselves by doing something crazy, that's called cleansing the gene pool. On the other hand, I do have a problem telling other people how to parent like I would if someone told me how to parent. I certainly don't think watching someone get rich and famous by doing those acts will discourage anyone and act as a learning tool, but if another parent feels that way, so be it. A theatre's only concern should be to make sure they are enforcing their policies evenly and doing what we need to keep the government from making the rating policy a law. We all need to be very diligent on movies like Jackass when it comes to enforcing our policies and focus on the business aspect rather than what you think of the people coming.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 09-29-2006 10:46 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Charles Greenlee
A parent should know their kid
I hear this a lot. But the problem I think is that a lot of parents think it's more important to be their child's best friend rather than their parent. I don't see how taking a 10 year old to see a bunch of guys engaging in uncensored disgusting frat boy humor benefits the 10 year old.

quote: Chad Souder
I agree that kids should in no way see this movie, but it's because of the language, nudity and gross stuff, not the stunts.
Exactly.

Now, they replay the original unedited on Comedy Central.
I don't know what that has to do with anything. It's Comedy Central, not Nickelodian. They also play South Park and a bunch of other stuff which isn't for children either.

A theatre's only concern should be ... focus on the business aspect rather than what you think of the people coming.
To an extent you're correct. But a lot of times (for me, anyway) what I think of the people coming is a big help when trying to weed out people who are there to break the rules.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-29-2006 11:06 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Remember when the idiot college kids laid on the highway imitating a scene in "The Program" a few years back? Somebody was injured (or killed maybe?) so Disney cut the scene out of the movie.
Two teenagers in Pennsylvania imitated the stunt. One was killed instantly and the other was critically injured when a car ran over them. Another teen was injured in Long Island trying to do the same thing. Naturals for the Darwin Awards.

I remember watching that show when it came out in 1993 and thinking that highway scene was pretty retarded. The only reason why I checked out that movie in the first place was because it was playing in THX-Dolby Digital at Cinemark's Hollywood USA theater in Garland and I wanted to check out the good or bad qualities of that theater's sound system. Just thought I'd point out that tidbit to show my taste in movies is not usually that shitty.

As far as Jackass goes, I might consider letting teenage kids watch it -with reservations on the individual level of maturity in each kid. If I had kids under 10, I wouldn't let them watch grown men drink horse jizz or take a beer bong enema.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-29-2006 11:22 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reason kids want to see Jackass 2 so badly is because kids really like beastiality, as does anyone who enjoys this movie.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 09-29-2006 12:32 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe you are a riot as always.

I certainly don't think watching someone get rich and famous by doing those acts will discourage anyone and act as a learning tool
It all depends on how it is approached. I did a study back in the mid 80's that focused on the effects of television and movies on children as they grew up.

My findings showed that it did not matter what was viewed, instead what was more of an impact to the development of a child was the interaction and supervision of the parents. Those that had constant interaction and supervision from the parents tended to do very well in school and with social behavior, while those that did not had many social problems.

It didn't matter if they were watching violent movies or sesame street, it was primarily how the parents were involved. The child learned from the shows watched if parents were there and able to make explanations of what was actually happening.

Ciao

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2006 02:16 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading many news stories years ago about kids and teenagers burning themselves seting themselves on fire after watching Jackass. I have no idea what this latest movie has in it, but do they have a lot of really dangerous physical stuff that kids would likely imitate? I know one thing they love to do is put someone in a shopping cart and run them into shrubbery, or have them jump from something into shrubbery. I don't get it.

So does this movie have more of the same (shrubbery encounters, setting people on fire, etc.)?

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2006 03:22 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has a couple shopping cart scenes, but no shrubbery that I recall.

I guess you guys are right. Children should not be allowed to watch anything more vulgar than Mr Rogers or Teletubbies. I don't understand the thought process behind trying to shelter kids from everything. The sooner they learn about the harsh reality of life and death the better. When sheltered kids get older they seem to not understand the consequences of their actions the way other kids who have been exposed to such things do.

Of course I am speaking in general and not trying to say that watching Jackass is important to a child's development. However, letting them see stuff like this and explaining to them that they do really get hurt could help them understand better than if they watch it over at a friends house without anyone telling them about it. Pointing out that these guys have mucho grande medical coverage would also be good.

I doubt there will be a part 3. Knoxville and Bam are making plenty of money through other sources. I would be willing to bet that they signed on for the sequel before the first one was even made.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2006 03:59 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think kids should be sheltered from everything, but if they see stuff like Jackass, they need to know what they can safely do and what they can't. Some of the physical gags that are done in movies and TV shows are OK as long as kids realize what's real and what's fake. Take the three Stooges -- I love that stuff, but many things they do would severely hurt or kill someone if a kid did it not realizing it was fake. Hit someone over the head with a hammer and they won't just say 'Oh!" and be OK. Another problem with stunts is fire is very visually attractive and mysterious to kids. The "back of the pants on fire" gag used for comedy effect coupled with all the stunts in movies and shows like Jackass gives kids ideas. They see a stuntman on fire dancing around or running -- they're put out, and they're OK. So a kid or group of kids who have never been burned with fire thinks it would be cool to try running with clothes on fire and try it and in a few seconds are screaming trying to get it out and are scarred for life. The answer isn't to shield kids from the stuff, but to make sure, as a parent, that they know what's really going on in those scenes, and that it isn't what it appears.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: