Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » The Opinionated Ticket Seller (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: The Opinionated Ticket Seller
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2006 11:39 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw a strange thing at a theatre. The couple in front of us were buying tickets to a film. The ticket seller told them that it was the worst film she had ever seen and they should not buy tickets to that film. They looked over the sign board and, not finding anything to their liking,left the building.

Usually, its hand over the money, get tickets and move on, but this lady was a REAL talker! She approved of our choice!

This was a chain theatre, not a small locally owned one.

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-14-2006 11:48 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they wanted to buy tickets to "The Wicker Man", the ticket seller did them a huge favor by being truthful. [Wink]

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 09-14-2006 11:58 AM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it were my theatre I'd suggest the ticket seller leave the building immediately and look for a job selling gas or as a nuclear physisist! I call someone like that a future ticket buyer.

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2006 12:16 PM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a feeling that once management learns of this cashiers "advice" to patrons, that person will not be selling tickets any longer, or working in any sales position. It is not the duty of any employee to offer their opinion on films or concession items unless asked, and if asked to limit such comments to ambiguous answers.

As an owner who often takes tickets at the door of my independent theatre, I occasionally get asked by my patrons: "How's the movie"? I will answer either with "I really enjoyed it, but I have noticed that not everyone does. It depends on what one really likes or is interested in", or if it's something I didn't like at all would say "This isn't my kind of movie, but have noticed that many people seem to really enjoy it, it depends on ones individual tastes". Those comments seem to satisfy the questioner, and have never changed anyones mind about seeing the film. Once in a while, one of those folks will say on the way out, "I guess that movie wasn't for me either", but they seem content that they weren't mislead, and had made the discision themselves.

As I book my own theatre, and have only one screen, there is enough product that I don't need to run the real stinkers. And since I'm subrun, I have the opportunity to find out about the film long before I would intend to run it. Therefore, I never end up playing films that would be disliked by most of the audience.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2006 02:29 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before I started working box years ago, I was under the assumption that people didn't go out to a theater unless the film had drawn them into there... Obviously, not so!

Working in multiplexes has the off-putting disadvantage of these casual patrons. Sometimes it's the lack of the studio's effort to draw attention to certain films; ones where you can't simply look at the poster & derive a story. Then there's the fact that you're often putting 10 or more films in front of someone just looking to be entertained; an average person shouldn't really be expected to remember all the directions Hollywood is willing to take (even if too many of them are the same ambiguous formula films).

But that aside, the product is what it is. Within the illusion of service, there lurks the selling concept. Yes, even in non-chain theaters, box staff shouldn't pander a film outright, especially if it's the only film the patron seems interested in.

I support this, while carrying the ideal that patrons ought to realize the position in which the probably below modestly paid staff member finds themselves in. That position is made slightly better when the films' synopsis are posted at the box. Then again, some patrons haven't come to a movie theatre to read, and they want a nice, spoken review of every film you're showing. Even in a 5-plex, as I am now, it can be awfully time consuming.

I guess the parade of people asking the person behind the counter, whose opinion should theoretically be biased towards sales, will never end. I just try to keep any explanations or "reviews" brief & polite. I can't make a lot of films shine any more than their dull finishes, but I try to justify why a patron ought to spend their money on any film in question.

But recently, yeah, Wicker Man should be avoided. [thumbsup]

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2006 03:04 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Way back when I sold tickets, I gave people a hard time if they wanted tickets for a showing that had already started.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2006 05:01 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always told my cashiers not to give out any kind of opinions. Because the truth is - what you like and what someone else likes are two totally different things.

I know people who hate movies I love, and vice versa.If you give out your opinion at the box office, the effects can be bad. For example, this quote from a patron: "Your box girl told me that this movie was good. It wasn't - so can I get a pass or something?". That is why my cashiers don't review movies....

[Wink]

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2006 07:36 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The film in question WAS Wicker Man.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2006 09:55 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
mmm personally this sort of behavour from the ticket seller can actually do the business some real good.
Several years ago I produced a corporate training video called "the importance of customer service." This was for a sub company of News Limited.

Statistically what surprised me was the value of return business. If the staff do make positive impressions, create feelings of trust, and successfully resolve problems that unfortunately do happen. Customers overall do tend to develop loyalty and trust for the business which does equal real money as return business.

If this couple had watched the wicker man ? how long would it take for them to come back and spend more money? Is it the cinemas fault that the movie is a waste of space? why did the cinema book it in the first place?

Is it better to get $20 tonight only or $120 this year (6 returns)?

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 09-14-2006 11:44 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Before I started working box years ago, I was under the assumption that people didn't go out to a theater unless the film had drawn them into there... Obviously, not so!

... Then there's the fact that you're often putting 10 or more films in front of someone just looking to be entertained;

I like Richards method. You don't want to send people out the door, just because YOU didn't like a film. At the same time, being too enthusiastic about a film that another might find a total dog doesn't work well, either.

Steve brings up a couple of good points... but it doesn't take a lot of films to "confuse" people.

We frequently have customers, who apparently will miss our newspaper ad, phone line and web site. They'll pass by our highway reader board and the posters in our boxoffice and ask, "what's playing tonight"?

Apparently, there really are people out there who will drive to a theatre, assuming that there's something they'll want to see.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2006 10:20 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jack Ondracek
They'll pass by our highway reader board and the posters in our boxoffice and ask, "what's playing tonight?"
I see that daily as well, Jack. We're also in a deceptive building that makes people think we're a single screen and simply, blindly ask for A Ticket. I wish more people could be so apathetic...

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2006 11:21 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard C. Wolfe
It is not the duty of any employee to offer their opinion on films or concession items unless asked
If fact, it had been expressed to me, that it is the duty of the box person, as well as all of the staff, to be familiar with each movie shown, and be able to answer quiestions about it. Unfortunaly, the comany doesn't allow the employees to preview the movie, just managers and/or projectionists, nor are the employees allowed to watch it comp. opening weekend. So, how the heack are they supposed to know? Maybe read reveiws off of a site? But that usually isn't very enlighting, and some of our employees don't have computers at home, much less internet. Now as far as relaying that a movie sucks monkey, ehh-hem, without outright saying it, or ticking off a customer can be tricky. I tell them that I've heard some negative things, like it gets a bit technical and long winded, but that I've also heard some people likeing it. Bascially, point out why is sucks, nicely, but also point out that it may be a preference thing, and that it may be a great movie depend on what they like. Most usually interpret that well, and are appreciative.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 09-15-2006 11:31 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charles,

If it is your company's policy that you be familiar with the films you show, yet they provide no obvious way for you to see the film, the easiest way to deal with it is to ask your manager how to handle customer questions. What they tell you to do might be interesting in itself.

BTW... It sounds like they're following a fairly strict interpretation of the studio master licenses, most of which specifically state that nobody gets to see their shows without paying admission during those first couple of weeks. After that, the theatre is supposed to get the studio's permission to deviate from established admission rates. There used to be an allowable error/pass rate... something like 1 or 2%... but I don't remember if that's still part of the common wording.

Were someone to be truly anal about it, the licenses don't say anything about management screenings, either... though it would be interesting to hear about any objections to the practice.

I tended to find staff screenings to be a bit of a bother. The purpose, at least in my mind, was to verify the technical presentation. With 5 to 15 staff members involved, there was always a scheduling issue... starting either too early or too late... and dealing with their attitudes if there was a reason to stop the film... thereby making the show longer and inconveniencing them. Yes, they just had to deal with it, but it added an element to the job that I'm not sure should have been there in the first place.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2006 11:51 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jesse Skeen
Way back when I sold tickets, I gave people a hard time if they wanted tickets for a showing that had already started.
What a wonderful, customer-friendly attitude. [Roll Eyes]

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 09-15-2006 02:35 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My ex business partner when I had cinemas would say "every movie was a fine movie". I agree with Mike, late comers should not be turned away other than telling them the show has just started....less of a problem today due to 20 - 30 minutes of ads [Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: