Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Popcorn Cost

Author Topic: Popcorn Cost
Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2006 11:51 AM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How many 125 oz tubs of popped corn can one get in a 33 gal garbage bag? I have a church asking me to sell them several bags of popped corn and I'm trying to come up with a price but this is one item I have not yet come up with a formula for figuring a cost. Has anyone else figured the cost of a 125 oz tub? I realize it depends on the cost of my raw corn but I've never counted the number of tubs that come out of a 50 pound bag of raw corn. Thanks for your help.

|  IP: Logged

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2006 08:42 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As opposed to selling it to them, I would always donate it, making sure that I advised it was a donation. I would go so far as to advise the church that they could source small bags, or even popcorn boxes, at a local supplier (Prime Ticket) if they wanted.

Back to your question at hand, I seem to recall being able to make roughly 25 or so 130oz bags out of a 'bag' of popped corn, which was three kettles of raw seed. From there, someone else would need to do the math to determine how much a 50lb bag would make.

Regardless, the good will of donating it meant more than the money it would bring.

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2006 09:28 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason is probably right.
But you should advise them that your donation is of $retail and you should list it as tithing.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2006 05:25 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys. I got some help from our supplier Farner-Backen here in Iowa. We pay a local farmer $13 for a 50 pound bag of raw corn. There are 800 ounces of raw corn in a bag. It takes 1 ounce to make 3 cups of popped corn. Our small cup holds 6 ounces at a cost of 3.25 cents and we sell it for $2. Donating is a good idea. It is our corporate treasurer that made the inquiry. I'll consult with her about it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: