Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Awesome info on old Manistee Theatres

Author Topic: Awesome info on old Manistee Theatres
Kara Tillotson
Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2006 11:14 AM      Profile for Kara Tillotson   Author's Homepage   Email Kara Tillotson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so it always irked me that everywhere I went to get information on the closed Lyric Theatre and Chippewa Drive-In here in manistee, had no info.Even the cinematreasures/tours sites and waterwinterwonderland.
So..yesterday I literally spent 5+ hours down at the museum searching for this info. I am happy to say...I FOUND IT!!!
I am working on submitting info to the above sites...hopefully it will be actually upgraded on the firt two sites.
go to my myspae site,/voguetheatre and look in the history section on the left of the page.
I was/am soo excited. Im like a total nerd. [Big Grin]

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-06-2006 01:28 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The world needs more total nerds! I am one, too. Louis

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2006 10:50 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if the world actually needs more people like me! I'm a nerd tooo! Keep up the good work.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 09-07-2006 12:47 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like the title over my pic says... I'm a Theatre Dork.

But yay about getting info on old theatres. If you want advice on how to best present info for quicker absorption to Cinematour, let me know.

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2006 01:05 PM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good job, Kara! Nerd generally means smarter-than-average (or, at least, much more 'focused'), so you have nothing at ALL to be ashamed of about that! Quite the opposite! People less smart or focused are just jealous, but you know that. I think most of us here are nerds, in one way or another. [Big Grin]

Isn't it EXCITING to discover long-forgotten information you've been wondering about? I can tell you are very excited by it. [thumbsup] [Big Grin]

Ron Yost

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 09-07-2006 06:43 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I happened to catch that drive-in property out of the corner of my eye as I drove through about this time last year. As I recall, you can see the projection port windows on what's left of the building from the road.

Glad to see somebody's collecting the info on it.

Kara Tillotson
Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2006 04:33 PM      Profile for Kara Tillotson   Author's Homepage   Email Kara Tillotson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yup. the projection booth is still there. I submitted my stuff to waterwinterwonderland.com and they have the stuff posted already.

So yeah, how Do I get cinematreasures/tour to be more absorbtion-ready?

Right now I am trying to figure out when exactlly they tore down the big screen with the chippewa head on it.
I cant get any straight answers from people. I think everyone is senile!!
I at least have it figured out that they were still advertising shows in late aug 0f 85, so that knocks out someones statement that they closed in May of 85....
Some of this is a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2006 08:39 PM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing you thought of trying to track-down relatives of whoever owned the place? Even if the original owners are dead, or senile, as you say, their kids/relatives may know something? You'll probably have a few, or many, dead-leads, too .. but one never knows. I've done a bit of family geneology, and it's amazing where information turns up. Often not in the places one would expect.

Also, try and be patient and polite with people .. not that you aren't, but patience will get you a long way, though it's not easy at times .. especially with older folks. Don't get antzy or act frustrated with them in conversations - you won't get the info you seek. Appreciate what they offer you, even if it turns out to be incorrect or not what you wanted .. they're most likely not trying to mislead you and are doing the best they can. [Smile]

How about ex-employees of the place back in the time period? That's harder information to find, obviously. Maybe someone took a photo, when they had a special event at the theatre (or similar)? How about the projectionist(s)?? They, or their families, probably would know more than what a concessions person would, assuming they worked there for a number of years. They may even have inherited photos. A new screen or curtains would be more of a big deal (and, thus, more memorable) to a projectionist than anyone else .. except the owner(s) who had to pay for it! [Big Grin]

Did the owners belong to any service clubs or lodges .. Lions, Moose, etc.? Sometimes they can provide some useful info. You might find lodge photos, tho, which may have the people you're looking for identified, and with business clubs they'd probably also say what business they owned or were affiliated with in some way.

Just thoughts. [Big Grin] I love a mystery!

Ron Yost

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: