Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Minimum amount of time between shows (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Minimum amount of time between shows
Jason Moore
Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2006 06:42 PM      Profile for Jason Moore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you program your showtime schedule, what is the minimum amount of time you would put between a start time and the endtime of the previous show? The reason I ask is that I have a mandated timeframe with which to program 5 shows of any film less than 120 minutes long and that means I have to be very careful how I schedule. I was just curious about where folks on this forum draw the line.

|  IP: Logged

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2006 06:48 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a difficult one Jason. 15 minutes absolute minimum - you don't want to rush people and you don't want them standing in the foyer longer than necessary.

For kid's films you need at least 25 minutes for the decontamination of the auditorium.

If you have paid advertising, you can't run it before the audience is allowed in.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2006 08:51 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would suggest a bare minimum of ten minutes between shows. Any less and you piss off your floor staff and projectionists no end, and you're more likely to run late.

Ideal gap would be 20 minutes, 30 minutes for busy films. However it depends on efficiency and number of floor staff, the type of film and how far it is into its run, and how busy you are in the mornings. You can get away with five minutes in the morning in a smallish house.

Five shows for a 120 minute film is approaching a joke, unless you run late shows every day. That's a 140 minute programme with ads included, would need a 150 minute gap between shows in the day and 160 minutes in the eveing.

Our programming is erratic at best. Three minutes is the shortest and ninety minutes is the longest I've seen.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-21-2006 09:05 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can adjust based on the film's popularity too. If we're running a stinker, where we'll only get a handful of people to each show, 5 minutes is enough. If we're showing a hit movie, I usually try to leave at least 25 minutes between shows.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2006 09:06 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed that 15 minutes minimum is best. Years ago we didn't run any 5:00 shows which made for anywhere from an hour to hour and a half down time between the 3:00 and 7:00. That made great time for maintaining equipment or cleaning the booth, but in no way improved our bottom line. Classic case of old style management verses new.

Down-time is also dependent on the number of trailers in your packs. More trailers, the less downtime. Few managers I've ever met have included trailers in their overall running times and looked foolish when shows were routinely dropping five to ten minutes after they were due to start. Our policy is four trailers maximum. On my make-ups three is the limit.

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2006 09:54 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Aaron Mehocic
Few managers I've ever met have included trailers in their overall running times and looked foolish when shows were routinely dropping five to ten minutes after they were due to start.
Its odd, when I worked for Carmike, we alloted a flat amout for trailers, either 15 or 20min. It normally works fine, but if you have a required trailer list of long trailers it can be a problem. I've seen a show, which had a 5min downtime due to required showtimes, that had a longer(than the flat time) trailer set, end up dropping 1 min after the next scheduled start time, fortunatly the following downtime was long enough the tardiness didn't affect things. I average about 1 min to fully thread, with framing and automation reset. So you can figure for that week, that that show started 2 min late.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2006 09:59 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Aaron Mehocic
Down-time is also dependent on the number of trailers in your packs. More trailers, the less downtime. Few managers I've ever met have included trailers in their overall running times and looked foolish when shows were routinely dropping five to ten minutes after they were due to start. Our policy is four trailers maximum. On my make-ups three is the limit.
We are given a trailer plan for each film each week from our advertising agency and have to adhere to that, this will vary from ten to nearly thirty minutes. The timesheet shows the film length and the amount of ads/trails, and then the total run time.

I had a situation once where the manager screwed up programming, underestimated how many ads were in the film and gave us a 20 minute over-run on each show.

We had to clean with lights up and customers in the screen during the credits, then when the last one left let the next shows customers in whilst the credits were still rolling. That was just to get the show starting five minutes late.

Cue incredible amount of apologies by myself, no idea where the managers were every time for that week.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2006 10:37 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theatre runs Firstlook and we have to allow a minimum of 30 minutes intermission to allow the program to run properly. When we are busy, I allow 40 minutes plus.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2006 11:15 AM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
We are given a trailer plan for each film each week from our advertising agency and have to adhere to that, this will vary from ten to nearly thirty minutes.
As an independent, we are not beholden to any agency when programing our trailers. Our policy is to give preference to those trailers also produced by the same studio as the feature to be shown. Then one or two extra at our projectionist's disgression.

If we permitted 30 minutes to ads and trailers there would be small riots in each of our auditoriums. A former assistant manager used to program as many as six trailers in his packs. By the time the last greenband hit the screen, more customers were more sour than excited to see the movie.

Gary Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2006 12:27 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford   Email Gary Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At our independent single-screen, our rule is 15 minutes between shows. Two trailers maximum on the front end, and the 5 minutes for them is included into the run time schedule. Seems to work just fine.

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2006 03:58 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can leave 2hrs 15min in between shows just like the UA Stonestown Twin in San Francisco... [Eek!] [Razz] (See showtimes on Fandango for Inconvenient Truth for Friday 08/25).

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-22-2006 04:08 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever you do, please do _not_ send ushers in to clean the auditorium before the film is over and the house lights are up. As a patron, I always hate it when staff enter the theatre (and, occasionally, turn on the cleaning lights) while the credits are still running.

From what I have seen, 10-20 minutes of time between shows is common. Less for single-admission double-features.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2006 04:12 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ron Curran
For kid's films you need at least 25 minutes for the decontamination of the auditorium.
I love the way that is said. Decontamination... that's about right for kid's shows.....

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2006 10:05 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have 4 minutes between sessions , that is from finish of credits to start of slides. This is the norm for average shows , when we have blockbusters , the first week we allow 15 minutes between shows. During the quiet times we actually run with a minute or two overlap between sessions for the main reason being that sessions prior to 11.30am are not economic nor are sessions after 8.30pm so we endeavour to program up 5 shows per day between 12.00 noon to 8.30pm in each cinema more if they have short running times.

It puts allot of pressure on if busy as we dont have ushers or cleaners , the operator does this role but we get by and it makes this day go fast.

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2006 02:59 AM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We currently run 30 to 40 minutes between shows. It has eliminated lines to get into the auditoriums, increased our per cap, and made our customers much happier. We used to run 20 to 25 minutes, and people would routinely show up 45 minutes prior to the start time, causing lines that ran outside, where it is routinely over 100 degrees. Tons of complaints from customers. We switched when we opened X-Men 3, saw our lines reduce and our concessions sales increase dramatically, and have no plan to go back. It really is something that needs to be done on a per location basis, to maximize patron satisfaction without decreasing ticket sales by slashing number of shows. Delicate balancing act.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: