Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Ideas on suitable phone message machines

Author Topic: Ideas on suitable phone message machines
Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2006 07:53 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I currently use a cheap micro cassette answering machine to play our daily screening times on a dedecated phone number.

This works well and elleviates staff being bogged down quoting screen times during busy periods.

The machine is starting to faulter , looking around I have yet to fine anything better to replace it with. Micro tapes were great, I had 7 cassettes and would record them all up at the start of the week . Now most machines are digital and you can only record one message at a time.

Would appreciate any imput on machines that may be out there that can do this task.

|  IP: Logged

Christopher Crouch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2006 04:07 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch       Edit/Delete Post 
I currently use a GE 29869GE2 digital answering machine that is capable of holding two seperate outgoing messages. Pluses are price (under $30 us), relatively clear recording (I've noticed many cheap digital machines have issues with cut out and distortion), and plenty of outgoing/incomming recording time. Drawbacks have been the two outgoing message limit and the fact that you can't turn of the incomming message recording (during busy periods, I have to clear the incoming messages mid day).

Unfortunately, I haven't run across a cheap domestic machine that has the flexibilty/options of an old micro tape player.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-10-2006 05:58 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might check with your phone provider to see if they provide a voice mail service. We have that here -- I got tired of paying for a new answering machine every time we wore one out. Now it's $4 a month and we never have to worry about the line being busy, and I can change the outgoing message from any phone.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2006 01:52 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto on what Mike says. We pay $30 a quarter for a dedicated number with voicemail that can handle 16 incoming call at once.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-11-2006 02:59 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil, that is a great idea of recording all your messages at the beginning of the week on different cassettes. The only thing I can suggest is to look around for another machine that still uses cassettes surely some still are manufactured. If not, try ebay.

On the other hand, if you have an old PC hanging around that has become obsolete because of the Microsoft conspiracy to get us adicted like coke or smack to their digital shit, and you haven't thrown it out or given it away, you can use it with a modem to run any of the simple telephone/fax answering programs -- I am running PhoneTools which will run fine on just Win 3.1 all the way to Win XP (even though the facist XP says it is incompatible....yah? incompatible my ass). Anyway, you would prerecord all your messages that way. Thing is, it's a lot bigger than an answering machine, like using a Mack truck when you just need a go-cart, but it will do the job.

If you need a nice answering maching program, I can send you a copy of PhoneTools, which btw, you can use as a FAX machine as well....again, a lot bigger than a stand-alone FAX machine, but as I said, it will work.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2006 08:20 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this Pc idea interests me Frank, are you able to pre record messages in advance for the whole week with this ? If it is I would be glad for you to send over the program.

With my current method of pre-recording the whole week on program day eliminates relying on staff doing the message each night and or getting it correct etc. all they have to do I pop in the correct tape.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-13-2006 11:51 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil, I just checked the program and yes, it will allow you to record any number of messages for playback, and then select them via a menu. It can be set to playback a message only or playback a message and then record a voicemail. Seems like this would be just what you need. To change recordings it would be a simple matter of going into the program setup and selecting from the list of the greeting messages that you pre-recorded and which you have named, say, by the date they should be played. It should be a piece of cake for anyone to do -- probably less chance of screwing up than getting the right cassette in the cassette machine. Plus, as I said, it will also receive and send faxes.

I'll get in touch with you be email about getting a copy to you.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: