Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Cinemark to buy Century (Page 1)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Author Topic: Cinemark to buy Century
Brian Woods
Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2006 03:16 PM      Profile for Brian Woods     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a FYI!
Blockbuster deal: Cinemark to buy Century
Tuesday August 8, 2:37 pm ET

Century Theatres Inc., one of the largest operators of movie screens in the Sacramento region, is being sold to Cinemark USA Inc. of Plano, Texas
San Rafael-based Century Theatres is a family owned company. It was founded in 1941 by Raymond J. Syufy.
Under a definitive agreement Cinemark will acquire all of the outstanding stock of Century for a combination of cash and stock of Cinemark's parent company.

Cinemark has 202 theaters and 2,469 screens in 34 states. It also has theaters in 13 countries, mainly in Mexico, South and Central America.

Century Theatres operates 78 theaters with 994 screens in 12 western states.

In the Sacramento area, Century operates the Century Downtown Plaza with seven screens; Century Stadium 14 in Point West; Century Greenback 16; Century Laguna 16; Century Roseville 14; the Sacramento Drive Inn 6; and Century Folsom 14.

For decades, Century was be the dominant theater operator in the Sacramento area, but its status declined in recent years with the merger and consolidation of Regal Entertainment Group absorbing Regal Theaters, United Artists theaters and Edwards Theaters.

After the Century-Cinemark deal, the combined companies will have 391 theaters with 4,395, screens in 37 states and 13 countries.

Century Theatres is led by Ray J. Syufy's sons, Raymond W. Syufy and Joseph Syufy. Since 1996, the company has added 641 screens and has expanded into eight states.

In 2000, it launched its CineArts division, with screens in California and Illinois. The company is a founding member of Fandango, a leading Internet ticketing company.

Upon closing of the acquisition, Cinemark's stockholders will include Lee Roy Mitchell, Cinemark founder and chief executive; Syufy Enterprises LP; Quadrangle Capital Partners; and Madison Dearborn Capital Partners, which will remain the controlling shareholder.

Cinemark was founded in 1987 by Lee Roy Mitchell. In 2004, a controlling interest in Cinemark was sold to Madison Dearborn Capital Partners.

Mitchell will remain chairman and CEO of Cinemark and the combined company. Raymond W. Syufy and Joseph Syufy will join the board of directors, representing Syufy Enterprises LP.

The purchase will be financed with a senior credit facility led by an affiliate of Lehman Brothers Inc. and an affiliate of Morgan Stanley & Co. Inc.

|  IP: Logged

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2006 03:44 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well all-righty then...

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 08-08-2006 04:26 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The official Cinemark press release

quote:
Cinemark USA, Inc. Acquires Century Theatres, Inc.

PLANO, Texas & SAN RAFAEL, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 8, 2006--Cinemark USA, Inc. ("Cinemark") and Century Theatres, Inc. ("Century"), two industry-leading motion picture exhibitors, announced today that they have entered into a definitive purchase agreement under which Cinemark will acquire all of the outstanding stock of Century for a combination of cash and stock of Cinemark's parent company.

"The real winners here are people around the country who love movies," said Lee Roy Mitchell, Chairman and CEO. "Customers of Cinemark theatres enjoy the best available presentation of movies in an environment that is fun, comfortable and exciting. This heritage will continue with the addition of Century Theatres into our enterprise given the high standards of customer service and quality that the Syufy family insisted on at Century."

"This transaction establishes the premier international movie theatre circuit, empowered with extraordinary employees at every level," said Raymond Syufy, Chairman, Century Theatres. "My brother Joe and I are very proud that our customers will continue to enjoy the high quality presentation and movie going experience that has earned such wonderful loyalty over the years. We are very pleased to be playing an important role in the creation of such an exciting, international enterprise in entertainment."

Upon closing of the acquisition, Cinemark's stockholders will include Lee Roy Mitchell, its founder and Chief Executive Officer, Syufy Enterprises, LP., Quadrangle Capital Partners and Madison Dearborn Capital Partners, which will remain the controlling shareholder.

The combined enterprise will exhibit movies to over 200 million patrons annually in approximately 391 theatres with 4,395, screens in 37 states and 13 countries. Lee Roy Mitchell will remain the Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer of the Company. Raymond Syufy and Joseph Syufy will join the Board of Directors, representing Syufy Enterprises, LP.

The acquisition will be financed with a senior credit facility led by an affiliate of Lehman Brothers Inc. and an affiliate of Morgan Stanley & Co. Incorporated. The merger will not constitute a change of control for purposes of Cinemark, Inc.'s 9 3/4% Senior Discount Notes or Cinemark's 9% Senior Subordinated Notes. A portion of the new credit facility will be used to repay Century's outstanding indebtedness under its existing credit facility.

Lehman Brothers Inc. served as financial advisor to Cinemark. Kirkland & Ellis LLP, and Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP served as legal counsel to Cinemark. Morgan Stanley & Co. Incorporated served as financial advisor to Century and its shareholders. Century was also represented by Morrison & Foerster LLP.

Completion of the acquisition is subject to the satisfaction of customary closing conditions for transactions of this type, including antitrust approval and completion of financing.

About Cinemark USA, Inc.

Cinemark USA, Inc., a leader in the theatre exhibition industry operates 202 theatres and 2,469 screens in 34 states in the United States and operates 112 theatres and 932 screens internationally in 13 countries, mainly Mexico, South and Central America. Cinemark was founded in 1987 by its Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of the Board, Lee Roy Mitchell. In 2004 a controlling interest in Cinemark was sold to Madison Dearborn Capital Partners. Cinemark was among the first theatre exhibitors to offer advanced real-time Internet ticketing at its own website. Visit www.cinemark.com for more information about the company.

About Century Theatres, Inc.

Based in California, Century Theatres currently operates 78 theaters with 994 screens in 12 western states. The company was founded in 1941 by Raymond J. Syufy and is now led by his sons, Raymond W. Syufy and Joseph Syufy. Since 1996, the company has added 641 screens and has expanded into 8 additional states. In 2000, it launched its CineArts division, with screens in California and Illinois. The company is a founding member of Fandango, a leading Internet ticketing company.

[ 08-08-2006, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: Sam Graham ]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-08-2006 07:01 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does this mean that we can expect to see THX certification removed from all Century Theatres screens (not to mention a possible drop in overall presentation quality)?

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-08-2006 07:21 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does this mean Century booth people will no longer be able to order Film-Guard? (assuming they can order it now and assuming Cinemarkers still can't). [Big Grin]

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 08-08-2006 07:52 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] Soy muy triste.

Another small chain of well run theatres gone.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2006 08:17 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Does this mean that we can expect to see THX certification removed from all Century Theatres screens"

Other than using non-THX certified equipment when replacing broken stuff how do you lose the THX certification?

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-08-2006 09:22 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I meant no disrespect to the Cinemarkers who do a good job, including the booth staff at Cinemark #235. [Smile]

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2006 10:01 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's interesting to hear that Cinemark aquired Century Theatres. I used to goto the Century Orleans Stadium 12 in Las Vegas. That was a nice theatre, especially the film presentation and quality.

Which brings up a question. I recently talked with my GM and he told me that The Decurion Group, which operates Pacific Theatres, is looking for a buyer and so far, Regal Entertainment Group and Cinemark were interested. I would be able to know as soon as January of next year who bought us out. So, the question is, who do you think will aquire us, Cinemark or Regal Entertainment Group? I'm just curious.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 08-08-2006 10:13 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Does this mean that we can expect to see THX certification removed from all Century Theatres screens (not to mention a possible drop in overall presentation quality)?
Not to mention the end of "TV commercial free" presentations.

And the end of real butter on the popcorn.

And the end of Nathan's Famous hot dogs on the menu.

And the end of staffed satellite concession stands.

And the end of wretched excess in the use of exterior neon.

And...And...

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-08-2006 10:59 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Other than using non-THX certified equipment when replacing broken stuff how do you lose the THX certification?
Hmmm. Not paying the annual certification renewal fee?

Christopher Crouch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2006 11:58 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chad M Calpito
So, the question is, who do you think will aquire us, Cinemark or Regal Entertainment Group? I'm just curious.

Having just taken on Century, I doubt Cinemark would be looking to make another large aquisition so quickly (especially of a company that overlaps Century markets). My guess would be that Cinemark was looking at Pacific as a backup plan, if the Century deal didn't come to pass. Of the two choices, I'd think Regal would be the frontrunner, but I'd even question the likelyhood of that happening, as their plate is pretty full. If Pacific is looking for a buyer, I'd actually predict another party all together; perhaps, another investment group.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-09-2006 01:21 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brother...there goes the neighborhood..."the Invasion of the Usher B's"

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 08-09-2006 03:25 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not official yet. There are still some hurdles to clear and I would say that some of it probably has to do with anti-trust situations.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2006 01:02 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whoever does get control of Century needs to restore all of the old dome theaters that were chopped in half more than 25 years ago! If they brought those back, it would give people a reason to go to the theater again. Those theaters are a disgrace the way they are now.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: