Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Curious Drive-in Cinema Rules (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Curious Drive-in Cinema Rules
Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2006 06:38 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

This is a thread for curious rules at Drive-in Theatres. Some theatres list of dos and don'ts on their websites and sometimes there are oddities in them

I shall start the ball rolling with an extract from the FAQ of my local Drive-in Theatre, The Lunar. The owner forbids

quote:

Drifting, wheel spinning, doughnuts and wreckless driving will result in the vehicle and its occupants being ejected without refund.

Notably the Lunar's patronage comes from the suburbs surrounding Dandenong and one nearby source of patrons is an outer suburb called Narre Warran where a few weeks ago Melbourne's first Krispy Kreme store opened. There have long lines of cars at the store for weeks on end.

No doubt these people have been filling their boots full of doughnuts in the hope that they can smuggle them in to the drive-in. Never mind the people who smuggle in friends and relatives! Doughnut smuggling is a heinous crime.

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

cheers Peter

|  IP: Logged

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2006 10:00 AM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
If I answer this seriously, will I be accused of being humorless and missing a joke? Or should I address a possible language or class barrier?

At the risk of seeming obtuse: "spinning doughnuts" does not refer to twirling pastries - it's the kind of thing cultureless yahoos with cars find endlessly amusing - on a loose surface, stomp on the petrol, let the rear tires spin wildly and throw the car into a 360° power-spin, ejecting gravel forcefully in every direction and leaving circular ruts in the ground (reminiscent, to tiny minds, of "doughnuts").

An unpleasant thing to be happening next to you at the drive-in, especially if your girl has finally gotten bored with ATTACK OF THE NAZI ASTRO-ZOMBIES and decided you can finally have your way with her.

Clearly the term hasn't made it to Australia, or maybe you're just too civilized a person to have paid attention to what the extras from ROAD WARRIOR do when they're bored.

I'm more concerned with the rule against "wreckless driving" - is the entire audience compelled to run into bridge abutments before the show?

To add my own (sort of) rule, I last frequented drive-ins in the 1960s, when the between-show reel listed, among the advantages of going to the drive-in: "smoke if you like!" I and my friends took that as an invitation to light up something they didn't sell at the concession stand.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 08-05-2006 11:41 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it doesn't say spinning doughnuts it says
Drifting
Wheel Spinning
Doughnuts
and
wreckless driving

So Doughnuts are not allowed [Smile]

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 08-05-2006 12:30 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is when we refuse to realize the obvious and force businesses to post things the way we demand them to is when McDonalds has to have a sign that warns people that their coffee is hot.

As funny as we might like it to be, it is only then that we put ourselves in the situation of making sure that everything has a sign and a warning, from how to flush a toiled to how to open a door, just so we don't all get sued to death.

It is implied that it is spinning donuts, because it is in the middle of a warning on vehicle behavior. I am quite sure that prosecution of the rule would be interpreted that way, and I am really sure that they hear plenty of cracks on the subject as well. As a judge I would be lenient in the case of firing off a pistol at anyone who thought it was funny enough to crack with the staff about it.

Ciao

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-05-2006 02:20 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They could just post a rule against "exhibition driving," but that might not be understood by some idiots.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2006 03:36 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How come thay have not mentioned the infamous "durfee"?

Now that's exhibition driving at its finest!
KEN

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 08-05-2006 06:42 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Rules/FAQ I wrote for the 99W Drive-In (or..."How Brian found out people really read the stuff on the website").

Somebody actually pulled up to the ticket booth and said "I don't have an elephant."

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 08-05-2006 09:41 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam's Link
You cannot exit the theatre once you've paid admission.
Kinda like the Hotel California?

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2006 10:26 PM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the 99 Drive-in site

quote:

I am a being from another planet and my flying saucer is too large for a designated parking spot. Can I just park on the Twin/snack bar roof?
No, but you can hover above it as long as you can pull that off silently and it does not disturb other patrons.

Clearly this Drive -in theatre does not mind patrons bringing in doughnut shaped objects. Its just really tall elephants that they have a thing about. [Eek!]

Also from the Moonlite Drive in

http://www.lipumatheatres.com/rules.php

quote:
Shoes are required on theatre property.
Another very sensible rule that should be applied at my local drive-in. It keeps out those Ugg-boot wearing riff-raff!

At Yatala

http://www.drive-intheatre.com.au/aboutus.htm

quote:

With no dress code rules, attire varies from shorts and thongs to cocktail wear. And some have been known to arrive resplendent in one-piece pyjamas, finished off with fluffy dog-eared slippers.

The shoes rule neatly eliminates these people too!

Also from the Centre Star light site

http://www.centrestarlite.com/FAQ.htm#pets

quote:

Can I bring my dog/cat/ferret/elephant?
Yes, as long as the animal is harmless to the customers and our operation. Management reserves the right to refuse any animal (including human) admission. Elephants and other larger animals will be charged a single-occupant car admission due to the fact they would take up a car space by themselves. If you are bringing in your pet anaconda please make sure it is properly fed before you enter the park. Our other patron's pets are not there to be your anaconda's dinner. You will be solely responsible for damage caused by your animal to the drive-in, yourself, other drive-in patrons or property. You must keep your animal secured to your vehicle/parking space. NOTE TO ELEPHANTS AND GIRAFFES: Our ticket window height clearance is 8 ft. Oh yeah, you must scoop their poop.

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

I'd like to see the Lunar add one rule which was derived from a comment I saw elsewhere on the web.

quote:
We reserve the right to mock local patrons as most of you were conceived here
[Smile]

Regards Peter

[ 08-05-2006, 11:45 PM: Message edited by: Peter Berrett ]

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2006 08:47 AM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kenneth Wuepper
How come thay have not mentioned the infamous "durfee"?

I have now waited long enough, so I am prepared to look like the idiot. WHAT ... IN ... THE ... HELL ... IS ... A ... "DURFEE"?

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 08-06-2006 10:05 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. The Starlite stole a couple of items from our FAQ.

Don't you love it when people steal your material outright as if it's their own? [fu]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 08-06-2006 02:10 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been happening to me for years, Sam. One guy took my whole FAQ, changed the names & just loaded it up. He's tinkered with it a bit since, but it's still pretty clear where it came from. Guess I don't mind much. It makes me feel a little less guilty when I find a jewel on someone else's site! [Big Grin]

Got anything good over there?

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 08-06-2006 07:24 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Anslem Rayburn
WHAT ... IN ... THE ... HELL ... IS ... A ... "DURFEE"?
Dur! That'll be $1, please.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2006 10:03 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Durfee", while constantly spinning the rear wheels, the vehicle performs a figure 8 on the lot.

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2006 06:09 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Sam

quote: Sam Graham

Wow. The Starlite stole a couple of items from our FAQ.

Don't you love it when people steal your material outright as if it's their own?

Get your lawyers ready

http://www.mustangdriveinguelph.ca/faqs.html#petsr

http://www.lindsaydrivein.com/faqs.html

Dang Canadians! First Celine Dion and now this!

Regards Peter

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: