Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Screens: Ideal Number

Author Topic: Screens: Ideal Number
Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2006 03:53 AM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the reasons we are spending billions of dollars changing film to DC is because it costs a fortune to supply multiple prints to too many screens.

It appears that those screens can’t properly be maintained or manned with skilled operators. Many locations have proved to be uneconomical. More importantly, a large chunk of the market is intimidated by the supermarket size and style of massive multiplexes.

IMHO I believe that a rational screen number in a major city development should be 12; for major regional centres 8 and for any other town 5.

If you have 30 screens you have to fill them with any rubbish the studios want to push on you.

It is too late to reverse the madness but what do you think?

|  IP: Logged

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 08-01-2006 05:27 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to see a megaplex with 57 screens and owned by the Heinz family.

Or perhaps Joe Friday could open a 13 screener.

I got nothin' else.

You really have to take into account current and future screen development for the area in question and then depending on the area you may want more or less screens.

A small town with 2000 people could get away with a twin real easy. That's what I want to do, but I can't stand small towns.

Ciao

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2006 07:20 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to think 4-6 screen complexs as ideal, both to work in, and to watch a movie in.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-01-2006 12:24 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dave Williams
A small town with 2000 people could get away with a twin real easy.
We have one screen and there are some times of the year when I wish we had two or three. There are other times when we'd be better off being closed because there's not even ONE decent-grossing movie to play.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2006 12:51 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think 8-10 is ideal. You start getting into the 12-15 and up to 20 plexes, all your doing is opening houses for multiple prints of the same movie. I've noticed that we usually have 8-10 different movies playing at any time. I know its a matter of conveinience for customers when you have 3 prints of a movie and start it ever 20 mins or so, but come on, how busy are peoples lives??? If its a good movie, they will make time to see it. Daytime, night time, weekend...whenever they can. Very few movies ever sell out every show all day. If I built a new plex, I would make it 10.

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2006 07:06 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm loving working at a 6-plex, I just wish I could dedicate my time to booth, rather than haveing to do this managment buisness. Musch more interested in working to improve our equiment than counting registers.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2006 09:42 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More prints showing of a film means less likelihood of selling out and no need for staff on every screen to seat people. Also means you have no 'dead time' where your staff are doing nothing as shows are starting every 30mins or so. That's the cynical view anyway.

I would say 7-14 depending on the market is the ideal size. Any smaller you can't show enough and any bigger you're showing six or seven prints of the latest release and also it's difficult to control staff. Screen capacity also is as important as the number or screens.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: