Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » "Ant Bully" -it's tanking big time (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: "Ant Bully" -it's tanking big time
Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2006 06:24 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone noticing this movie is stinking up the place? I haven't seen a movie doing this poorly in a while.

Might it be that someone over at Warner Brothers messed up? All the ads on television, the posters, and any other advertising material all say the film opens August 4th!

I think Pirates and Miami Vice will be battling for the top spot this weekend. i'd be surprised if Ant Bully is in the top 5.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2006 08:15 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're still seeing good business in Cars and Monster House . Ant Bully had only two customers for the 9:00 PM Friday showing.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 07-29-2006 08:22 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Were seeing OK numbers, not selling out, but it's busy.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-29-2006 08:50 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We aren't playing it, but we ran the trailer with CARS and PIRATES and not one person yet has asked me when it is coming. That's a sign of a flop for me.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2006 12:17 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tanking in Southern Ohio as well. - Matt

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-30-2006 01:44 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tanking in my area as well. Now watch it will get moved and everyone will show up next weekend. [Roll Eyes]

I think there are just too many kid movies out to choose from and people are choosing to see Pirates, Cars and Monster House rather than a worn out insect movie. Next week you have a bunch of Barnyard animals running around.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-30-2006 04:12 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Makes you wonder if CGA movies are getting a bit on the boring side..and all played out ..

Big problem I see is that CGA studios are desparately trying to find the successful notch as what did PIXAR did.

Thus, the old saying goes "Can't follow success with hope." - and it shows when these movies are in the "hope" stage.

- monte

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2006 10:02 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps parents don't want to take their kids to see a film that preaches communist ideals. I haven't seen it but I have seen many reviews that have described it this way.

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 07-30-2006 02:11 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps it's just the title which really sucks. They might have attracted even fewer if they called it "The Ant Asshole."

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-30-2006 10:01 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to boxofficemojo.com "Ant Bully" opened in 5th place with $8M. Not good.

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2006 05:42 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Families already spent their movie $$ allowance on Pirates and Cars earlier this Summer.

Barnyard will BOMB too.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2006 07:58 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody likes a bully. I think it was dumb to put that word in the title.

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2006 08:28 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not the gem that WB thought it would be. Too many CGI films this year, with too many G,PG films on the summer lineup. Add that to the cost of Summerfest, Six Flags, Wisconsin Dells, and a bunch of State/County/Church picnics/fairs/events and I wonder how any parent can afford food/clothing for their kids this summer. Oh, and lets not forget about back to school supplies! Seems like almost all the movies running at our theatre were aimed at kids. Needless to say, I'm tired of 1000s of messy kids, who can't pick up their snacks or clean up after themselves when using the restrooms. [Eek!]

Ross Oba
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2006 11:12 PM      Profile for Ross Oba   Email Ross Oba   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some theaters already have the movie scheduled for just one show a day this coming Friday. One of the rare occurrences that a movie goes from a full schedule to sharing a screen in a week.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2006 08:14 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From IMDB.com:

The Ant and the Bully

The failure of The Ant Bully brings to mind a Woody Allen stand-up routine in the '60s when he told of being so poor that his parents couldn't get him a dog, so they gave him an ant instead. "And I didn't know any better, y'know, I thought it was a dog, I was a dumb kid. Called it 'Spot'. I trained it, y'know. Coming home late one night, Sheldon Finklestein tried to bully me. Spot was with me. And I said 'Kill!, ' and Sheldon stepped on my dog."

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: