Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Selling Movie Posters

Author Topic: Selling Movie Posters
Trevor Key
Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2006 02:01 PM      Profile for Trevor Key   Author's Homepage   Email Trevor Key   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if it is legal to sell movie posters at a theatre.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 07-28-2006 02:42 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By the 'letter' of the law: no.

That said, I have NEVER heard of anyone that has got into trouble for selling or giving away/raffling/etc posters, standees, and other used non-trailer promotional materials.

I know of at least one mall with a plex that has nearby a 'Hollywood memorabilia' shop that sells vintage and current posters, press kits, autographed items, etc. and it doesn;t take a rocket scientist to figure out where they are getting their current posters from.

-Aaron

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2006 03:30 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You won't get jack for posters. Banners are where the money is. Or so I have heard from other people that claim to have sold them. Technically posters, banners, trailers and anything else like that are property of its respective studio.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-28-2006 05:24 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Read the fine print on any Fox poster. That's the same policy employed by all studios.

But I know lots of places that sell'em for a dollar or give them away and like Aaron, have never heard of anyone getting in trouble.

Ross Oba
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2006 04:08 AM      Profile for Ross Oba   Email Ross Oba   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone has done a recent search on that famous auction site, the lenticular 3D poster of Monster House sold for around $200.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2006 06:17 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do know of a certain person over here in Aust. that removed a poster of an unrelerased film and put it on the "famous action site"

In less than one day the respective studio was on the phone to the cinema concerned raising hell! and they knew the mans full name and the cinema he worked at, some very quick detective work was done on there part considering the auction site only a code name and hotmail addy for the seller.

I think one should be carefull. The only advertising stuff that leaves here goes either into recylying or is donated to schools kindy's or childrens hospital type situations.

Christopher Crouch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2006 01:16 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch       Edit/Delete Post 
I once had a general manager that made a sizeable second income selling promotional materials online and "under the table" to theatre patrons. He used the scam of selling a basically worthless item and saying the promotional material was a "free gift" (ie. claiming he wasn't actually selling the poster, pin, whatever). Despite this supposed loophole, he was regularly having to change his online sales account and cover his tracks, as the studios came after him.

Even though I've never heard of anyone being prosecuted for selling posters, I wouldn't want to risk my job or studio relations over a poster.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2006 02:43 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to sell some posters at a rather profitable yard sale two years ago. None sold. By the end of the day I was willing to get rid of all 20 just for $1.00 and still nobody was interested.

Had a manager about 15 years ago who made some good money selling standees. I remember having to tear appart Robin Hood Prince of Thieves and The Rocketeer and he was adamant not one flap or hinge was to be ripped - NOT ONE! [uhoh]

Trevor Key
Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2006 08:05 PM      Profile for Trevor Key   Author's Homepage   Email Trevor Key   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the Advice guys!

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2006 08:56 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Technically the promotional material belongs to the distributor. I think only Lucasfilm are fussy about wanting posters back for obvious reasons. Where I used to work we got our pick of the posters if the run had finished or we were very unlikely to get the film.

Paul Van Dusen
Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2006 03:06 PM      Profile for Paul Van Dusen   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Van Dusen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We sell our old posters for $5 a pop and put the money in our Children's Miricle Network Donations. It's our little way of getting ahead of the other Carmike's in our district when they have their annual fundraiser.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2006 03:17 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Trevor,

When I ran the projectors at the Athena Theatre during college in the mid 1970's, it was still a single screen 1200 seat theatre. In one of the rooms under the stage there were hundreds of movie posters going back to the early 1930's. While I was visiting friends in Athens in the early 1980's, I stopped back at the Athena to see if the owner would sell them all to me. Unfortunately, I found out that a water pipe had broken in that room which went undiscovered for several weeks. All the posters had been destroyed and were thrown out earlier that year. Served me right for procratinating. At todays prices, they would have been worth several hundred thousand dollars.

For older posters, you mighnt' want to check out the movie poster forum.

Andrew Peter Chobaniuk
Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2006 06:49 AM      Profile for Andrew Peter Chobaniuk   Email Andrew Peter Chobaniuk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have about 200 posters from the past 10 years

and damn, $200 i should have called that poster!

poster policy at our theatre is they go to the first staff member that calls them (or the staff member with the poster case key, me! [beer] ) MUAHAHAAHA

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: