Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Interactive Movies

Author Topic: Interactive Movies
Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2006 10:05 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I have first seen the advertising for the Final Destination 3 DVD and with DLPs spreading among the theater chains, I have been wondering just long it is going to be before someone takes another shot at making an interactive movie. Though I in no way think that this would be the "future" of our industry, it might be an interesting added attraction every now and again. What does everone here think?

|  IP: Logged

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2006 10:13 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it would be a neat idea to implement, but, I don't know if it will be in the future of the industry. In all, it is a neat idea though. The question I have is how implement it and what kind(s) of equipment would be needed to make an interactive show and how much it would cost. Plus, another question would be, would to studios want to go this route as well?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-25-2006 10:43 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was done about 11 years ago. Two probelms;

1. gangs of rowdy kids would push all of the buttons at "voting" time.

2. Since there was no way to have a "fixed" film, Academy award consideration was impossible. Louis

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2006 04:26 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it was? was this a "real" movie or an amusement-park movie?

and was it really oscar material?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-27-2006 09:06 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Several real movies.....very bad, however. Probably a good concept, but probably not workable. Louis

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2006 11:10 AM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that a couple of locations at the theater chain I used to work for tried it with those movies. I had just heard that it wasnt so much the concept but the quality of the movies which were the problems. Not to mention the crappy projectors that was available at the time (the one that looked liked a box with the three color lenses in front). I just think that now, or to be a bit more accurate, a year from now, may be the perfect time for someone to try again.

The movies do not necessarly have to be Oscar contenders or 100 million dollar "blockbusters". The 10 to 20 million dollar Horror genre would be perfect. Taking the Final Destination movies and letting the audience decide who lives or who dies would be interesting. Even more so then that. Can you imagine a movie where you would almost get to choose how a secondary character fights off an attacker? How about if a majority of the audience pushes a button at a certain time, the actress on the screen would then dodge the knife swinging manic (or not). I just think as a novelty it would be a neat idea to do.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 07-27-2006 11:15 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William Castle used a interactive gimmick with his film "Mr. Sardonicus" in 1961. The audience got a white card with a thumb on it. So near the end of the movie he inserted a scene with him asking should the people die or should he live. Thumbs down no mercy ending , thumbs up happy ending. So they did a poll and the projectionist would show the winning ending. There was only one ending used the with this gimmick.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2006 12:21 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always wished my Nintendo light gun would work with everything on the screen [evil]

Gary Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2006 01:28 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford   Email Gary Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Toast, newspaper, water pistols, and weird costumes and they would all have a grand time singing and dancing along with the film!

Total interactivity!

Or has this been done before...? Hmmm

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2006 03:24 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
on imdb i find:

Mr. Payback: An Interactive Movie (1995)

according to the technical specs page, it was 35mm, but ebert and others say it played off laserdiscs.

if it were done in a sophisticated way with multiple 35mm projectors i'd go see that.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-28-2006 08:37 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laserdiscs is correct.FWIW: technical quality was very low; I spent a good deal of time with music video and consumer laser discs, just proving to the managers that "our part" was OK. Louis

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-30-2006 05:17 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with this concept is that some percentage of the audience is going to be disappointed. The ones who want the character to get blown to bits but don't get their bloodlust fulfilled will leave feeling cheated. This really is works much better as interactive DVD where since you and you along are controlling the outcome, you always get the ending you want (unless you are like me and can't hit the right buttons on the remote in the dark).

The whole point in having an interactive movie and presumably why a customer would be going to see it (and probably paying more for the ticket) would be so they can choose the story line or ending they want. If they get out-voted and don't get to see some other story line or an ending they didn't choose, then how's that different than an other standard, non-interactive movie where the story unfolds regardless of what you wish would happen?

This should remain as a consumer gimmick and keep it in the DVD world and out of theatres, although it probably would be something that would set Lucas's heart a-pounding as he lies awake trying to figure out new endings to his STAR WARS double trilogy so he can re-re-release them yet again after they flop as releases in digital faux 3D.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: