Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Payroll Cost per Admission (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Payroll Cost per Admission
Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 07-21-2006 05:29 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there an industry standard, or guideline, as to what a theatre's payroll cost per admission should be? RTS provides a Cost Per Admission statistic in the Weekly Deposit Recap report, but I need some basis for comparison, like a standard. Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Matt Whitney
Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2006 07:11 PM      Profile for Matt Whitney   Email Matt Whitney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ours is typically between $.85 to $.95. We always try to keep it under $1.00.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2006 08:09 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Play with your staffing until you find a good mix of customer service, to "stand around" ratio. Basically, see what staffing level provides low wait times in lines for your customers and clean orderly lobbies and restrooms with no extra dead weight standing around and use the number generated as your target.

Not every building in every area is the same so an industry standard of staffing levels would be impossible.

Stephen LaPadula
Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2006 11:42 PM      Profile for Stephen LaPadula   Email Stephen LaPadula   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From my experience in NY, any 'busy theatre' (in comparison to screen count)should be less than $1.00 per person, however many 'smaller, less busy' theatre are over $1.00 per person. Not so much an issue as long as you can turn a profit.

Christopher Crouch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2006 05:24 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch       Edit/Delete Post 
How I miss my first run days...

I currently work at a sub run theatre, where the goal is to keep payroll below .50. As if that isn't low enough, I'm also in California, where the minimum wage is $6.75.

quote: Sean McKinnon
Not every building in every area is the same so an industry standard of staffing levels would be impossible.
I wish more people would realize that. In addition to varying financial differences between areas, some theatres require more/less staff based on building design/layout.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2006 08:17 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little under $1.00 - Matt

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2006 10:11 AM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Christopher Crouch
some theatres require more/less staff based on building design/layout.

That is a very important point that not a lot of corporate offices seem to grasp.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-23-2006 09:48 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Suits!! Louis

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 03-29-2009 06:45 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 979 days since the last post.

Greg Haas
Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2009 06:45 PM      Profile for Greg Haas   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Haas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I'm bumping this thread up because my searches didn't reveal any more-recent discussion related my question. I think my question is only just a wee-bit off topic...

I've seen a decrease, in the past 8 months, in per capita revenue at our concession stand. People seem to be sharing drinks/snacks and/or not buying anything. For several months I tried adding some staff, knowing I was increasing my "stand-around" costs. Hasn't seemed to help much.

Also, planning/scheduling staffing has gotten trickier with doing as many Monday to Friday bookings as we are. Traditionally we schedule monthly. (Our subrun twin is open four days: fri-sun most of the year. Small market. Next closest theater is 35 miles north.) Most of our staff is in high school and they have other lives, so they like to plan ahead.

This has gotten more and more difficult because we also have a tradition of all the staff staying through the shows (cleaning, etc.). Often they get paid to do homework when I just can't think of anything else for them to do.

What I'm bumping up against, if you haven't already guessed, is that I'm scheduling staff 3 or 4 weeks out when I *don't really know* what titles I'll be getting.

So I'm wondering if other schedulers are running into this. What are other folks doing? Scheduling weekly? Bi-weekly? Just calling around and adding somebody when a "big" title is finally booked?

I'm considering scheduling more staff for seating only and just have one or two stay on after to clean up/restock, etc. So a Friday might see 4 for an hour and 1 for the whole evening. As opposed to, say, 3 for the entire evening. Big downside of that is it really cuts hours for most staff and then do they really want to keep the job...??? I keep a large roster (11 right now) and still the other day it was me and one other guy doing everything when I needed two more. *everyone* was doing something else and two on the schedule had family emergencies.

I'm not sure how clear all that was. Sorry for boring you with my woes. I'm just curious how others are doing this. The way we've been doing it for six years (yes, I'm still *that* new to this business) doesn't seem to be working as well as it did for the first 5 years.

Any thoughts?

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-29-2009 07:48 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg
I would recommend going back and looking at your per caps from week to week based on your top movies. I'm sure you'll find that weeks where your top movies target an older audience, your per caps are considerably lower than weeks where you have family movies or those that appeal to a more general audience. This would be something you can take into consideration from week to week when making your schedule.

I had never tracked payroll per admission before, but looking at 2009 YTD, I'm at $0.76 - excluding my salary. For busier weeks it's been as low as $0.65 for the pay period and for slower weeks it's been as high as $0.96. For the slower weeks we run with only 3 employees on weekdays and I can't really justify running with any less.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2009 12:54 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Greg Haas
Most of our staff is in high school and they have other lives, so they like to plan ahead.
Change your schedule so that it is put out Monday (after you have the bookings) for the upcoming weekend. 4 days notice. We've been doing this for 13+ years and have no complaints. Present it to your staff as the bonus of them being able to ask off with less required notice. I have polled my staff several times over the years and they always have voted in favor of keeping the schedule as is rather than doing it farther ahead. High School kids don't plan ahead 4 hours much less 4 weeks, unless they have a family trip or something they would know far in advance anyway.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-30-2009 01:29 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Chad. My work schedules run Friday-Thursday and I always post them Monday evening; all time off requests have to be in by Monday afternoon. By doing it weekly, it's easier to take into account business fluctuations based on the movies.

One thing I do to deal with special events like proms, spring break, Christmas break, etc. is I post a special sheet a month ahead of time to get them thinking about what they will be doing. This not only causes them to figure out their plans, it also gives me a heads up about any potential staffing problems.

Greg Haas
Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2009 10:14 AM      Profile for Greg Haas   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Haas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the suggestions. I would really like to move to a weekly schedule from our monthly one.

Most of my employees do actually plan ahead. They see the monthly schedule and make plans for when they're not "on". This makes it difficult to find replacements when someone does need to change the schedule.

I think posting a month (or two) calendar where they can request "no work" days will help with moving to a weekly scheduling regimen. I hate scheduling. I think this is one of the reasons we started with a monthly thing. Hoping to only have to do it once a month. End up doing it several times a month anyway because of calls from kids who *didn't* plan ahead.

I'm glad to know that it is not unreasonable to do it weekly.

I was also just thinking of scheduling an "alternate" that could be notified on Monday whether or not he'd be working the following weekend. But I don't see why I can't do that for all the employees for the next weekend. I can make up the base schedule once a month but post it weekly with necessary changes.

I'm grateful for this forum which helped me think this through.

all best,
Greg

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-30-2009 01:39 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Greg Haas
I think posting a month (or two) calendar where they can request "no work" days will help with moving to a weekly scheduling regimen. I hate scheduling. I think this is one of the reasons we started with a monthly thing. Hoping to only have to do it once a month.
We keep one of those large "write-on" calendars in the crew room and I do our scheduling on the 25th of each month. Before that date rolls around, the kids are allowed to write in the days they need off in the next month for things they must attend, such as sports events (when they're playing), family trips and such. We don't allow them to take days off for "fun" events like school dances and so on, because then we'd wind up with days when no one would want to work. We do guarantee them all Prom Night off and we try to be fair -- everyone has to miss a fun event now and then.

Once the schedule is made for the month, they are allowed to get a substitute to work for them if they wish, as long as they keep us informed about who will be working. We make it clear that it's THEIR job to get a sub and if they can't find one, they'd better show up themselves. They're not allowed to just call in and tell us they won't be showing up. They're also not allowed to get a "newbie" to work for them unless said newbie has been on the job at least a few months.

Once the schedule is finalized, I transcribe it into an Excel spreadsheet and it's posted on our website so the kids can check it anytime. We just started doing the online schedule a couple of months ago and it's really gone over well.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: