Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Dinner and a movie promotions

Author Topic: Dinner and a movie promotions
Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2006 03:28 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, it's me again. Your friendly neighborhood Dom!

One of the local business owners whom me and my staff probably half way support with our lunch breaks brought up an idea I've kicked around before and heard of others doing.
Dinner and a show.
Yes, I know, it's an age old date but what I was thinking was a same-day ticket for our mid-afternoon set would get you a discount (he was thinking 5%) on the dinner special across the street after the movie.

We would basically market it as a package deal thus making it worth while to go to a movie at a particular time of day and then help him out with his new dinner specials.

It could potentially help our attendance slightly but hurt our per-cap. I could see people not wanting to buy large pocorns and candy if they're planning on eating dinner in an hour and a half.
I've done similar promos elsewhere with a coffee shop next door to the thatre that gave a 10% discount if you came over after the movie.
It cut down on people bringing it into the theatre cause they knew they'd get it after the show for less and it didn't seem to hurt us then.

What I'd like to know though is what have the results been for others? Anybody else try it?

I'd like a little more to go on than just hey here's an idea before I go throwing it out there.

Thanks for the input.

|  IP: Logged

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 07-18-2006 05:01 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As you say, it'd probably hurt your percaps. At the very least, you'd probabaly want to arrange the movie first... then dinner.

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2006 08:06 AM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over here many of the cinemas sell advertising space on the back of their tickets, often this space is taken by resturants offering a discount.

To make the offer better you would want to sell a combined ticket (watch the film rental conditions) for both the film and meal.

You would have to trust the resturant to provide good qualtity food and service, also if they eat before the film the timings would have to work to avoid people missing the start.

Alexander Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2006 10:07 AM      Profile for Alexander Smith   Email Alexander Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's an indepedent cinema near-ish to where I live that
does "meal and show" promotions. They have their own restaurant
rather than rely on a partner business.

The cinema is Zefferelli's of Ambleside, they have four
screens apparently. I've been to Ambleside plenty of times,
but not to Zefferelli's.

Alex.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 07-18-2006 11:27 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An upscale french joint a couple blocks away does 2 different movie offers. If you show them our same night ticket stub they will give you a small glass of one of the house wines. The other a is free ticket for the same night with any dinner entree. We provide them with a pass redeemable at the boxoffice.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2006 12:20 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An independent 8-screen theatre is located downtown next to the Columbus Blue Jackets arena. There are a number of restaurants in that area. This theatre offers a package for $35 that gives you $25 at any Arena area restaurant and 2-admissions to any film.

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2006 04:26 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Domonic
I have tried this on several occasions with local cafe's and restraunts,even with my own Cafe's in two locations i have and it's never been that suucessful.You would think it is an obvious combination Dinner/Movie but it just doesn't seem to click with most people...........except for Brad's new Cinema which seems to be the only place in the world it works well..........let's see after the novelty wears off!!!!
Actually what has worked excellent for us is our VIP Movie Club which gives members really cheap tickets on what used to be our two very quiet days-we now have 15% of the population of our town as VIP Members
Cheers Ian

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2006 04:53 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian, that's a really good idea. I've kicked around a frequent movie goers idea for a year or so as well.
Never brought it to fruition though.
Obviously I'd want to divert them from the theatre to the restaurant after the show, never before.
Perhaps it's best to let this one simmer a while.
Thanks for the input though!
--dom

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: