Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Outdoor Movies (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Outdoor Movies
Tony L. Hernandez
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2006 01:45 AM      Profile for Tony L. Hernandez   Email Tony L. Hernandez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just attended The City of Fort Collins, Colorado's first outdoor movie with some friends tonight. It was the 1987 "Princess Bride" on DVD, of course on a nice bid inflatable screen. It was all so nice and professional but it made me realize just how long its been since I've heard of a city run outdoor movie being run oon film. Very sad....

Anyways, does anyone here know of outdoor movies that use film as ossposed to digital? I am very interested to find one of the "movies in the park" programs that does. I was the projectionist at Greeley, Colorado's outdoor movies until they got DVD in summer of '03. We used two Eiki projectors with 16mm film. We had classics, family movies and some pretty new stuff now and then. What good memmories...what a wonderful exprience!

[ 07-13-2006, 02:50 AM: Message edited by: Tony L. Hernandez ]

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Baglow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2006 02:20 AM      Profile for Kevin Baglow   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Baglow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm In Eastern Europe, and just attended the areas biggest music festival at Novi Sad in Serbia EXIT 2006. They hold it in a 10th centuary fort. An outdoor cinema is included in one of the areas. They used 2 KW Xenon projector with 6000ft reels. SUPERMAN was the main attraction. Was hard for the sound system to compete with the 9 other nearby outdoor areas with bands and discos, but very nice effort! If any one would like to discuss the cinema business situation in Eastern Europe Email me
<address deleted>

[ 07-13-2006, 03:18 AM: Message edited by: Brad Miller ]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-13-2006 07:31 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least until last year, "Free Friday Flicks" was using 16mm. I assume that they still are, although I haven't been down there this year. They had a funky rear-projection system involving a pair of portable xenon Eikis. I don't know the details. The image is sharp, but not nearly bright enough for the size of screen that they are using (which is too small, anyway).

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-13-2006 10:30 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check out the "Cinema Borealis" photos in the Film-Tech picture warehouse:
http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/wareview.php?id=4&category=1

quote:
Cinema Borealis was a project of James Bond and the Randolph street gallery. With assistance from Mark Gulbrandsen, Rent-Com Inc., Intersonics Inc., Lonnie Jennings - Dolby Laboratories, JBL, Chicago Sun Times, 3 Penny Cinema, and the Documentary Film Group at the University Of Chicago.
Thousands of people enjoyed the free showings. Saturdays screening of 2001 was marred by rain but several hundred fans of HAL endured the weather and sat through the screening anyway.

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 07-13-2006 10:43 AM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Red Rocks Amphitheatre Films on the Rocks has been running a summer 35mm at their extraordinary outdoor site for about three or four years now.

Gary Stanley sets up his Christie P35, SLH lamphouse w/6000W, Speco platter, CP-65, and uses a 25' x 61' screen w/a throw of 120'. He's the projectionist too.

quote:
Program:
Monday, June 19 Top Gun
Friday, June 30 Animal House
Monday, July 10 Almost Famous
Tuesday, July 25 Pink Floyd The Wall
Wednesday, August 2 Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
Tuesday, August 8 King Kong (2005)
Monday, August 14 "The Original" Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory
Thursday, August 24 Old School

TICKETS ON-SALE Thursday, June 1st - $8.00 in advance, $10.00 day of show.
“4-Star Film Fun Pack” = 4 admissions, 4 hot dogs, 4 popcorns and 4 Pepsi fountain drinks for $44! (ONLY available in advance)
Tickets are available in all King Soopers stores and by phone at 1-866-464-2626. To buy tickets online and to obtain driving directions to Red Rocks, as well as rules and regulations of the Amphitheatre, go to www.redrocksonline.com or www.denverfilm.org

FILM ON THE ROCKS IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY THE DENVER FILM SOCIETY AND THE CITY & COUNTY OF DENVER.

One of the really great things about this program is that they don't compromise and play only PG stylee films. Because they often have R rated comedians and live music in the same program, they will play films that they think will draw a crowd.

Gary told me that once when a pre-show comedian used the "F" word quite a few times and was chided by an audience member that "children were present," the comedian told him "Don't worry, they'll explain the joke to you when I'm finished."

Fred Georges
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2006 10:44 AM      Profile for Fred Georges   Email Fred Georges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank Angel will be along to supply details about New York because I know He's involved with an outdoor Film series. Here in Chicago We have an outdoor summer film series in Grant Park handled by James Bond. [beer]

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 07-13-2006 03:27 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anyways, does anyone here know of outdoor movies that use film as opposed to digital?
Since 1991, the Wine Country Film Festival has featured a number of 35mm outdoor screenings.

WCFF 2001 outdoor venues

WCFF 2003 Outdoor Venue

-Aaron

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 07-13-2006 09:44 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If "organizations" are doing movies in the park for free, they are competing with you. Make sure they are doing it legally. We blew the whistle on a group that was doing it. They were advertizing "Star Wars", we asked our rep with the distributor about it, he said they hadn't licensed it, that was on Tuesday, the unlawful screening scheduled for Thursday was suddenly cancelled. They had been doing it for 6 weeks, it ended there.

Dan Zastrow
Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2006 02:59 PM      Profile for Dan Zastrow   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Zastrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill-
As long as they pay the licensing fee and are abiding by the law I think free outdoor screenings are great. Try booking STAR WARS in your theater and see how many folks show up. The outdoor screenings can't get first run anyway. The hook is that people are seeing the film under the stars, on the grass and possible enjoying a bottle of wine. I have done several outdoor shows in the park or on the wall next to the theater I run and it doesn't hurt our box office one bit. In fact, people appreciate the events and many became good customers of our regular runs at the theater. My wife runs the front of house at a winery in the Rusian River Valley. On July 29th we are showing NORTH BY NORTHWEST on the crush pad. Getting licensing from SWANK. Folks will have a glass of Pinot Noir, some popcorn and it will be a great time. Will people who come to this event decide that they have spent their movie money for the week and not go see PIRATES...you must be kidding!

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 07-16-2006 08:41 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If we have to play by the rules they must do it too. If we played Star Wars without paying the licensing fee there would be hell to pay. These showings were being done by commercial promoter renting a public outdoor facility. While there was no admission fee to viewers, food vendors and merchandise sellers were charged pretty substantial fees. When confronted with the need to pay a couple hundred bucks out of their take to do it legally they bailed. Doing what they were doing is just as unlawful as making and selling pirated DVDs, that is stealing somebody elses property. Dan, the difference between these guys and you is you did it right, they didn't. The studio rep checked in seconds to see if any any distributors such as Swank,etc. had licensed it. We later got a thank you letter for helping reduce the number of pirate screenings.

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2006 03:56 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Schauburg Kino in Karlsruhe, Germany does open-air cinema every evening from 21.07 - until 17.09. They seat 3000 people who can listen to 5.1 Dolby Digital on a gigantic screen.

Images and calendar here

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-17-2006 06:08 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And of course the Galaxy Travelling Outdoor Cinema screens 35mm year round in and around Mackay in North Queensland, Australia.

We tour to the mining towns and are preparing to take in most of Central and North Queensland as part of a regular scheduled tour. Each tour should take about 6 weeks then begin again with another movie.

People love it. We're happy to say even the cold weather (by cold, I mean 50 degrees is about as low as it gets...this is the tropics, after all, but it's all relative, isn't it?) doesn't stop them coming. The only thing that knocks Galaxy on the head is the rain. We're going to install an FM transmitter though so folks can sit in their cars if it rains and listen to the movie through their car radios. They do sit in their cars even now if it rains, but hearing the show is an issue.

We go with films (depending on who the distributor is) about 4 weeks after initial release.

I'm in the process of getting some pics together and will post a picture tour shortly.

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2006 02:55 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This got to be among the coolest out door events

CE3K @ the Devils Tower

OUTIW @ Monument Valley

All events

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-19-2006 04:58 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CE3K @ the Devils Tower looks very cool indeed. I sold my 16mm print of Xanadu to these guys many years ago. Their programming schedule is very good and inventive indeed.

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2006 09:07 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John it would be great to see some pictures of your setup in FNQ.
I've been thinking about doing something similar but on a much smaller scale back in your old stomping ground of NSW.
I'm really interested to know how you set the gear up and how you make it all transportable.Do you use an inflattable screen?
I think I need a holiday in Mackay!!
Cheers Ian

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: