Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Seat Covers

Author Topic: Seat Covers
Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2006 11:36 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What options do I have to get 600 seats recovered?
Obviously the original supplier of the seat, but their quote is [Eek!]
Are there other companies who can mass produce seat covers?
Is it worth a trip to China?
Cheers Ian

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-07-2006 05:10 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
check out most business that do comercial recovering of furniture

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-07-2006 05:58 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look in Boxoffice, in the classifieds there are some ads of places that do this. Cy Young Industries is one, I think.

Christopher Crouch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2006 03:35 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Cy Young Industries is one, I think.

I worked at a theatre that used them to reupholster a couple thousand seats. Fairly quick and worked overnight, so it didn't interupt business.

I'm sure there are similar companies in Australia and it will surely be cheaper than the original manufacturer. You might want to look for commercial reupholsterers (ie. not necissarily theatre industry specific).

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2006 10:03 AM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ian:

Cinema Services USA in San Carlos, CA specialzies in seat and theatre renovation. Owners Rudolfo & Juanita Lupe - nicest people you'll ever meet.

Mike

Paul J. Neuhaus
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2006 12:56 PM      Profile for Paul J. Neuhaus   Email Paul J. Neuhaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian, If you want to do it for less do it yourself!

You should be able... and I'm sorry that I'm not talking specifics here..... to buy coverings for your brand of seat.

Then it is just a tedious matter of removing the cussion and either removing the old one ...or my advice just placing the new one over the old one..much simpler and you don't have to mess with the actual cussion underneath that can change the shape.

From there it is usually just a matter of stretching the fabric and stapling.

This takes awhile but for anyone who has ever gone through the hell of moving or installing seats this is nothing. It just takes time. But when all you have to put into it is money for the coverings, staples, and allot of sweat it is a satisfying endeavor!!

Paul

Kevin Baglow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2006 03:28 PM      Profile for Kevin Baglow   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Baglow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian. I got covers made to re upolster 400 seats for my cinema. Got them sewn in Thailand for about $25 each. I can arrange this for you. Kevinbaglow@hotmail.com

Kris Brunton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2006 11:56 AM      Profile for Kris Brunton   Email Kris Brunton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A reputable local upholstery shop should easily be able to help you. Taking a sample of the cover to them will help. I would also suggest replacing the foam if it has lots of wear.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-17-2006 04:13 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately local shops usually don't have access to the special fire retardant fabrics required by most local laws. I use the seat company who will sew covers for ANY brand of seat. Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: