Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » What is your attendance?

Author Topic: What is your attendance?
Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 07-02-2006 12:18 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: This is a paraphrased version of the original post, based on recovered data from the search index.

We are doing about 7000 per week right now. We are an old-style, non-stadium seating theatre that is about 10 years old. What is your theatre's attendance?

[ 07-06-2006, 04:45 AM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

|  IP: Logged

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2006 07:19 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So who else is contractually obliged not to disclose this sort of information [Big Grin] I really shouldn't have read mine it pretty much signs my life away.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-02-2006 07:33 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone who's just an employee (not an owner) is probably well-advised not to discuss that.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-02-2006 09:00 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David Stambaugh
Anyone who's just an employee (not an owner) is probably well-advised not to discuss that.
Absolutely. Make SURE you have permission from the owners before posting this sort of information here please.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-02-2006 09:10 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what is really interesting is to see the daily and weekly grosses from various sites! It can be very surprising and also very shocking at the same time. Its certainly a good way for any dealer to gauge how much to extend to a given location or customer.

Mark

Dan Zastrow
Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2006 03:20 PM      Profile for Dan Zastrow   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Zastrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are services that exhibitors and bookers subscribe to for just such numbers so it might not be a good idea to disclose that info here. Someone could get into hot water [Frown]

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2006 04:49 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah - you can subscribe to Entertainment Data's daily or weekly info and RENTRAK - they have a very good system set up to track grosses.

Google them...

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2006 06:40 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surely they can't see figures from other chains? You would have to have decent spies for that.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2006 06:57 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You sure can see the other chains. I don't know why it's done that way but it is. If I owned a theatre, I'd hate for others to see my grosses. The other chains know where to build to compete by looking at the existing grosses.

Dan Zastrow
Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2006 07:43 PM      Profile for Dan Zastrow   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Zastrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a two way street with these services. If you want to see the grosses at other theaters you need to report your numbers as well.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2006 11:15 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On Rentrak, you can have it set up so that only yourself, your booker, and the studios get your info.

Most of the big studios have contracted with either Rentrak or AC Neilsen to collect their grosses for them. That's the real reason why you need to report grosses to those companies.

Personally, I like seeing how the other theatres are doing and I let other theatres see my grosses. It gives me a idea of how my theatre should be doing and it helps with booking decisions. - Matt

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2006 06:56 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, with the opening of "MI:III", Paramount requested all theatres playing the movie report the grosses to Rentrak. You had a few choices as whether you wanted anyone else see the grosses or not.

I don't know if you guys realize that the gross information belongs to the film companies. So they can share it with whoever they choose. I have had access to EDI and Rentrak over the years and found the tools to be invaluable. How do you think the news knows what the movies gross opening weekend? It is pretty much public info. I can tell you right now that if your grosses are being reported to either of the previously mentioned companies - someone has access to the info - whether you want them to see it or not. After all - we don't report our concessions or actual attendance to them..........

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2006 08:51 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fair enough I was under the impression you reported attendances to the system, didn't make sense.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 07-04-2006 09:18 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Great job destroying the integrity of the forums, Tom. Your account has been suspended. Contact Brad if you would like to ask to be reinstated.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: