Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Favorite recalled posters (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Favorite recalled posters
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 06-30-2006 12:39 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have any posters in your collection that were recalled? To the best of my memory, I only have two.

The first is the Firday the 13th Jason Takes Manhattan poster with the I Love New York logo on it. Apparently, they didn't get permission to use the logo before the poster was printed, and then they couldn't secure permission after the fact either, so they had to recall them and come up with a new poster.

The second is for a movie called White Sands. Why this one was pulled was a real puzzle to us for a while. We even had them laid out side by side to compare them, but couldn't figure out why the studio was so firm about pulling and destroying the first batch. Eventually we learned that the artwork on the poster depicted a white guy running across the desert carrying a brief case, but in the movie, it was a black guy. Or vice versa... I forget. But the characters on the poster were relatively small, and somewhat fuzzy, and I think one of them had their head turned, so the difference wasn't immediately apparent. But once pointed out, it was obvious.

How many do you have? And what's the story behind the recall?

|  IP: Logged

Matt Whitney
Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2006 12:45 PM      Profile for Matt Whitney   Email Matt Whitney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know the Saw II poster was recalled. It did not pass MPAA standards because it showed two severed fingers. The new posters still showed the fingers, but went to the bottom of the poster so you could not tell they were severed.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-30-2006 01:12 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spider-Man, with the World Trade Center towers reflected in his goggles/glasses/spectacles or whatever they are.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 06-30-2006 01:38 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was there also a Spiderman banner with that artwork on it?

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2006 01:45 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Last Castle: Had an upside down American Flag on it. too bad that poster came out a few days after 9/11.....

Austin Powers Goldmember- way too close to the Goldfinger poster

Saw 1- severed leg and hand. Got mine on ebay from Canada.

not necessarily my favorites, but those are the three that I can remember.

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2006 08:01 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My memory is out being cleaned at the moment ... but were there posters for the Revenge of the Jedi before it became Return of the Jedi on its initial release?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-30-2006 08:39 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if this qualifies as "recalled," but I have a large Titanic teaser banner with "Summer" listed for the release time.

On the surface there's really nothing objectionable about the poster. This isn't as bad as severed fingers. However, when the movie's release was pushed back to December it fueled speculation about the film's ballooning budget and that it may be the worst bomb ever.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-30-2006 08:47 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ron Curran
were there posters for the Revenge of the Jedi
Yes, they are prized collectors items. I think at least one or two people on here have one and have posted pictures.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2006 08:56 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a chance to acquire a "Revenge o the Jedi" poster a few years ago. I was not impressed with it. I opted not to make the purchase and then wondered about all the hype over the years..

My favorite 'recalled' poster, which I have, is the original "Thin Red Line" poster. Not because of it's looks or anything. I just love telling people the story behind it. It's great when the credits on a poster change - but when it is a top billed actor - it's classic.

* I think most poster changes are made because of a re-arrangment of casting credits (who's name is first, etc) I just love explaining these things to the general public - because they have no clue how vain most actors are....

Dan Zastrow
Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2006 09:01 PM      Profile for Dan Zastrow   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Zastrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once had a great WILD BUNCH poster that had it's original rating-"X" It later got an "R".
I think many of us have that "Summer" release poster of TITANIC. By the first weekend of that run nobody was talking about a bomb and by week 28 I could have really used a product like FILMGUARD!

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2006 09:04 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. The poster had the wrong release date on it. Not sure if it was a teaser or not.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2006 09:06 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Aliens" (image of Ripley holding rifle and, I think, Newt). Not sure if this was recalled or simply never officially issued.

quote: Ron Curran
but were there posters for the Revenge of the Jedi before it became Return of the Jedi on its initial release?

quote: Mike Blakesley
Yes, they are prized collectors items. I think at least one or two people on here have one and have posted pictures.

Yep, I'm one of 'em!

quote: Dennis Benjamin
I had a chance to acquire a "Revenge o the Jedi" poster a few years ago. I was not impressed with it. I opted not to make the purchase and then wondered about all the hype over the years..
The imagery on this poster isn't anything great...and certainly not in the league of the typical Drew Struzan contribution. But the collectible value is due to the title change not the artwork.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2006 09:35 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Correct me if I am wrong:

Isn't the Revenge poster the one with the orangy-red background and Darth Vader's mugshot-type picture on it?

I didn't fork over the dough simply because it did not go with the rest of the posters. I understand that it does have a collectable value. I have past the point of shelling out $ for collectable items. Maybe because I have three kids now?

Anyways..............

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2006 10:26 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis, your comment about the vanity of actors reminds me that the super ultra thin condensed sans serif type on posters is usually because of "equal billing" requirements.

The characters listed don't understand typography enough to know that most people can't read their names with this presentation.
Sorry, I meant that the cig cos used this type because they DID understand the principles of readability.

Also, that's why the cigarette companies printed the legal warnings on their packs in similar unreadable fashion.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-30-2006 11:22 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone remember the 1978 disaster "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band?" The Bee Gees sued to get equal billing with Peter Frampton on that piece of crap. (Frampton had been listed first.) Why they wanted it is beyond me, but I do think they reprinted the posters for it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: