Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Multiple prints (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Multiple prints
Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 06-29-2006 02:01 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any of you guys remember back when a theatre or theatre chain started with having multiple prints in the same theater.

For me, I remember remember reading the Toronto Star and it said for the June 1989 release of "Batman" it said a select number of theatres have two prints/screens of Batman. I think at the time it was 6 or 8 theaters that had the two prints in total for the toronto area while all the other theatres only had one print.

The other film I remember was Another 48hrs. It was playing at the twin Runnymede in both theatres when it opened.

Anyone have similar stories. Maybe we can trace back the earlist time a theatre has two prints of the same movie.

|  IP: Logged

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2006 02:09 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you mean? Where each auditorium has it's own print vs. interlocking a single print to multiple screens? If that's the case, we interlocked X-men 3. So we showed it on 4 screens with only 2 prints. But that was only for the opening weekend.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 06-29-2006 02:13 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i mean two prints of the same movie.

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2006 02:15 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2 prints of the same movie, for a single auditorium?

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 06-29-2006 02:22 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charles. As simple as this.

The Runnymede theatre had two prints of Another 48hrs. One was playing at 7 and 930pm in the downstairs theatre and the second print was playing at 730 and 1000pm in the upstairs theatre.

This was in 1990.

I am asking if anyone remembers if there were other films in situation above back in the day.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2006 02:26 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
back in '92, the ua here in berkeley had at least 2 prints of alien^3. i know because i went into the wrong one. first i ever heard of such a practice, and unfortunately not the last.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-29-2006 02:56 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The big problem on interlocking (and not due to extra film handling) is that if a print is interlocked, the film companies will charge an extra rate to the theatres for screening one print on two screens - like picking up extra rent and the theatre loses at the end.

Why nowdays, you see multiple prints of one feature...no cost to the threatre on this one

For studios love multiple print releases of their movie - to get their money back in a quick hurry in that first week when the gross percentages are at their highest..

I worked at a 4plex in late 1984 when the first Beverly Hills Cop came out...we didn't have interlock, thus we had two prints for the 2nd two weeks..due to the first week was selling out like mad.

And this was the first time that I saw (and ran) two prints of the same movie.

Later on, we put in interlock in this 4plex so we could tie up all four houses with one print if needed to..(in which we easily did due to our massive kid show attendence we would have..)

-Monte

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-29-2006 03:35 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tom Petrov

The Runnymede theatre had two prints of Another 48hrs. One was playing at 7 and 930pm in the downstairs theatre and the second print was playing at 730 and 1000pm in the upstairs theatre.

Ummmm, in 2001 Studio Movie Grill Plano ran Pearl Harbor on 2 screens with the showtimes spaced 40 minutes apart (for example: 7:00 and 7:40). The only difference is that it was done with one print. [Big Grin]

Cory Isemann
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2006 10:35 AM      Profile for Cory Isemann   Author's Homepage   Email Cory Isemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
The only difference is that it was done with one print.
Endless loop platter? How the hell do you do it with a 40 minute gap? Please explain!

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2006 12:25 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Cory Isemann
How the hell do you do it with a 40 minute gap?
Either with the mother of all accumulators, or else it is possible to run off a platter while building up on the same platter. You just have to be careful.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-29-2006 12:26 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
40 minutes x 90 feet per minute = 3600 feet of film.

Perhaps a very large loop "tree", or piling the film into a clean container from the top, and pulling it out from the bottom -- done carefully, the pile of film won't tangle.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-29-2006 02:44 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(prob had a setup using 6k reels ... with that first reel being rewound for that 7;40 show)

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-29-2006 03:12 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Some pics have been posted before actually. It's called a crapload of rollers on the ceiling and some creative CA21 setup, as the system was never rethreaded between shows. [Wink]

(Monte - all platter booth)

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2006 03:25 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt these were the earliest examples of two or more prints of the same title in the same complex, but they pre-date the examples given here thus far.

The GCC Menlo Park in Edison, NJ had two prints of the orignal "Star Wars." They opened with one print in May '77 and added a second engagement a couple of weeks later.

Pacific Winnetka Drive-In in Chatsworth (L.A.), CA also had two engagements of "Star Wars," and for a while I believe one was in English and the other in Spanish.

Another original "Star Wars"...Festival in Fresno, CA had two.

1980: Syufy Cinedome in Orange, CA had two simultaneous 70mm engagements of "The Empire Strikes Back."

1982: Mann Westwood in Westwood Village (L.A.), CA had three prints of "Tron."

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2006 10:46 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was told by a UA manager in the 80's the only way to get 2 prints of a movie was in theatres like the Prestonwood where one print was 70mm and the other one was 35mm.
However, he couldn't explain how Mann Theatres' Slide Road theatre across the street from us got 2 prints of Ghostbusters in 84. That theatre ran 35mm only.
My first dealing with 2 prints was Batman in 89...at least this is the earliest I can recall.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: