Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Predictions... Gross Winner: Superman or Pirates? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Predictions... Gross Winner: Superman or Pirates?
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 06-19-2006 08:13 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In honor of Kamakshipalyia whatever-his-name-was, I thought we'd take a little poll.

Superman is way handicapped with not only a Tuesday night opening at 10PM, but that's followed by basically a five day weekend with the fouth of July falling on the following Tuesday. That practically amounts to a ridiculous week long weekend opening. So predicting which will have a bigger opening weekend wouldn't really be fair. So...

Which do you think will win when all is said and done at the box office? IMAX included for Superman, and worldwide grosses, not just domestic.

My prediction is that... I'll save that for later.

|  IP: Logged

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2006 08:30 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While Superman is going to do huge numbers. I think Pirates will be a huge hit worldwide. Its going to be a close call but the final numbers will be Pirates 550mil(worldwide and domestic) and Superman will be 500mil (worldwide and domestic)

Thats what I think

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-19-2006 09:44 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pirates all the way. Superman has way too much baggage.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2006 10:01 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Domestic...Pirates
World-wide...Superman

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-19-2006 11:01 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm saying Pirates. The last one was just too huge for this one not to be huge. Superman is not seen as "that cool" among the young set. Will the grownups come out for it, is the question.

Ross Oba
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2006 12:16 AM      Profile for Ross Oba   Email Ross Oba   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, despite all the "Is Superman gay?" rumors, the movie is getting very good reviews. I am going to one of the many who will see this Tuesday night at 10PM. Not sure how making this open on Wednesday instead of a Friday will help. But I for one am actually looking more forward to Pirates than Superman.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-20-2006 02:24 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pirates, though I'm hopefull that Superman will make a good showing.

The release schedule is totally screwy. They should have worked it out so S'man would have had at least 2 or 3 weeks before Pirates. Maybe "Click" should have traded spots?

I'm seeing a lot of posts from single screeners, on the topic of how to book this one.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2006 02:24 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pirates will win in the smaller markets and most likely nation wide.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-20-2006 05:13 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to our booker WB was thinking about offering a nine-day run of Supe from 6/28 thru 7/7 for single-screens that are already planning to open Pirates. We would have jumped on that in a heartbeat but they decided not to do it.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2006 05:20 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pirates- Domestic, International, Total, any way you want to cut it. Unless they screwed it up. If it's anywhere near as good as the first one it'll do well over $300 million domestic.

Superman will probably end in the $225-$275 million range. Batman Begins was really good and only did $205 million.

Pirates did $305 million and it wasn't exactly hugely anticipated when it was released. Now that millions of people have seen it (both in Theatres and on DVD) it will open HUGE.

Warner Bros. is afraid of Pirates that's why they keep making the release earlier and earlier, to try and get as much gross as possible before Pirates opens.

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2006 06:00 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have to say that Pirates will be grossing more than Superman, though I would have to give Superman a chance for a close second place.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2006 09:50 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both will be $200 million movies. Pirates will be a $250 million+ movie. Neither will be a $300 million movie.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2006 09:22 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to say: The "Superman" film franchise died with Christopher Reeve.

Pirates will outgross Superman by millions and millions of dollars. Nobody in their right mind would disagree.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2006 01:06 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Spaeth
Both will be $200 million movies. Pirates will be a $250 million+ movie. Neither will be a $300 million movie.
Why would you say Pirates won't do over $300 millon? The first one did $305 million. This one has more buzz, ticket prices are higher, it's an "all ages" movie and there is nothing coming out the rest of July to cut into it's gross.

Unless they totally screwed it up and made it bad, I'd be shocked if it grossed under $300 million and I wouldn't be surprised for it to surpass $350 million. X-Men 3 was disappointing and it still made $216 million so far (more than the far better X2, which finished up with $214 million). X3 will probably end up in the $230-$240 million range (7.5-12% higher than X2). If Pirates does the same percentage wise over the original, it'll end up in the $327-$342 million range.

Paer Hoegberg
Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2006 05:13 PM      Profile for Paer Hoegberg   Email Paer Hoegberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I say: Superman (28 July) have no chance. I think Pirates (12 July) make more than the double $$.
Reason 1 - Pirates come before superman.
Reason 2 - Pirates Trailers have run at cinemas 3 month, And (Big) standees. Superman trailers at cinema - starting next week. Ho standees, no posters (yet).

I see different dates in the US - but in Europe I think Pirates are a winner.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: