Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » How many years does film have left? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: How many years does film have left?
Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2006 10:55 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to get a feel for how long film has? 5 years? 10 years?
How long till the digital take over? Is the change over going to be really fast or will digital DLP's slowly creep in. Will DLP's put the last projectionists out of work? I have a feeling in about 5 or so years 35mm projectors will go the way of 16mm.

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2006 12:02 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film will be around till I'm dead. I'm 44-years-old and expect to live as long as my 89-year-old grandmother lived. That said, commercial cinemas will be mostly digital in about 10-years. But film will still be shown in specialty houses for many more years than that.

The good news is that the dwindling supply of good projectionists will be able to command a premium again. If you want to stay in the technical side of the exhibition industry, learn to service the digital projectors along with the film projectors.

So sayeth Large.
Amen!

(of course I could be wrong.)

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2006 12:36 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film will be around until the studios say you can't have pictures unless they're digital.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-15-2006 12:47 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The real tipping point will come when theatres move to digital projection on a significant scale, thereby reducing the demand for lab services and film stock, which in turn will reduce economies of scale and send the price of film-based imaging sky high. If you think about it, the quantities of camera and intermediate stock made and processed are tiny compared with that of release print stock (say, 200,000 feet of camera negative, assuming a two-hour feature with a 20:1 shooting ratio, compared with the release print footage needed for 1,000 prints of that feature); so as long as sales of release print stock and processing remain high, film as a medium remains economically viable.

But, given the capital investment needed at the exhibition end, I can't see the bulk of mainstream theatres going digital until the standards and compatibility issues finally shake down (from what I understand, DCI hasn't gained universal acceptance) and until studios are willing to subsidise the investment costs of theatres. There don't seem to be any immediate signs of this happening. My gut feeling is 5-10 years. When it does, I think that film will rapidly become a niche market product for high-quality camera origination and creating archival preservation elements. How long it will continue to be manufactured after that is anybody's guess.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 06-15-2006 12:47 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film will be around for afew more years. The studios are doing more digital based market research screenings than on 35mm film & track these days.

quote: Ian Price
the dwindling supply of good projectionists will be able to command a premium again.
It may depend on what Big city market, to get premium salaries from any of the theatre chains. The chains will still pinch their pennies when it comes to staff salaries.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-15-2006 12:58 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's been 7 years since all the Digital Cinema hype started at ShoWest 1999. I was on the stage at Bally's, pointing out the differences between the side-by-side film and digital projection, which were very obvious from up-close.

Here is what I wrote after that ShoWest demonstration seven years ago in the Kodak publication H-50-51 "Film Notes for Reel People" in June 1999:

Electronic Cinema - What Did You See?

quote:
Electronic Cinema What Did YOU See?

Everyone seems to be talking about electronic cinema. After the ShoWest demonstrations comparing two prototype electronic cinema projectors with a conventionally projected film print, many felt that electronically projected images were finally approaching the quality of 35mm film projection.

Sure, the film images seemed to have better color reproduction and flesh tones-and a bit more fine detail and sharpness. And there were questions regarding the cost and complexity of the digital equipment in the theatre-and the level of expertise required maintaining and operating it. But, ShoWest was a technical demonstration and so, to be fair, let's consider electronic projection and film projection from a technical point of view...

So what did you see? I saw that electronic projection has come a long way in the last 10 years. I saw electronically projected images that were bright and sharp on moderately sized screens. But I also saw lots of work before we have an electronic projection SYSTEM that can compare technically - and in so many
other ways - to what we have with a film projection SYSTEM today.

Pretty accurate in my prediction. [Wink]

Seven years later, the Digital Cinema standards are finally coming into place, the original 1280 X 1024 pixel projectors are considered obsolete, almost a thousand 2K Digital Cinema installations are in place, 4K is finally being beta tested in theatres, and Kodak is one of the major "players" in Digital Cinema.

Yet, Digital Cinema is only on about 1 percent of theatre screens worldwide. Film is still a very cost-effective method of distributing feature films, with a "business case" and proven track record that's hard to beat. 2005 was a record year for Kodak motion-picture film, with well over 10 BILLION feet of film sold worldwide.

As Mark Twain once wrote: "Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated".

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-15-2006 01:28 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most movie productions will be film-based for the foreseeable future. Some strides have been made, but all video cameras currently max out at mere HDTV resolution. That's a terrible limit. Video production affords a great deal of speed and flexibility. But it currently represents a step backward in terms of image quality.

Until video cameras of 4K or higher resolution can be developed, I don't think they can pose a credible threat to traditional 35mm film cameras for major studio productions. While some directors are enamored of the flexibility in videotaping a movie in HDTV resolution or even as low as NTSC 480p, I think most other filmmakers are going to still demand the higher quality imagery from shooting on film.

As to how long film will last in theaters, I don't know. I don't see any video-based projection system being able to replace formats like IMAX, 8/70 or even 5/70 anytime soon.

35mm projection in smaller commercial theaters is threatened. It looks like 2K DLP projectors are going to replace at least 25% of 35mm projectors in the United States within the next 2-3 years. A full third might be replaced by 2010. I'm hoping 4K projectors can be rolled out en-masse during this time. I would prefer the bulk of video conversions to happen at higher resolutions. Unlike the 1.2K DLP systems which are either being shut down or replaced, those 2K systems may hang around quite a long time before they're replaced with any 4K or better systems.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 06-15-2006 01:39 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two 35mm projector manufacturers have introduced or will introduce new belt drive projectors this year...they are confident there are at least 5 to 7 years of new projector sales plus an equal amount of time for buyers to recoup the investment. DCI is not a world wide standard with countries like Brazil, India and others using parallel systems tailored their market needs. Competition and growth are generally a good deal if you keep on top of the possibilites [Cool]

Warren Smyth
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2006 08:02 PM      Profile for Warren Smyth   Email Warren Smyth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Film will be around untill I'm dead
I remember film editors in the television industry saying that 25 years ago. Some of those who used this claim as a reason to avoid retraining in video tape were redundant within two years.

While I don't share Ian's confidence on the future use of film in theatres, I think he is correct in his advice for projection staff to retrain. It's the only way I survived.

If we consider the rapid demise of 16mm film once mobile video cameras and VCRs came available, it is clear that change can occur quickly once the economic conditions are favourable. The driving force is often the ecomomy of scale which cranks up the quality and lowers the price.

The greatest scale however, is not going to come from multiplexes but from the consumer home market. Perhaps rather than asking how long will film last? we should be asking for how long will theatres have the technical advantage over home entertainment. irrespective of the medium used.

I know what Singing in the Rain and King Kong looks and sounds like in my theatrette at home from just a DVD. They are pretty damned good. What is Phantom of the Opera going to look like on HD DVD? - even better.

The question is, if one looks at the total package - no ads, an intermission at will, no popcorn smell, no parking hassels, no annoying patrons nearby, a picture that is not magnified beyond it's resolution capability, available exras on the disk, to name just some advatages, can the multiplex compete?

I know that the result at home is not as good as I presented to audiences when I screened Lawrence of Arabia and Chitty Chitty Ban Bang in 70mm but that was a long long time ago. The "bang" has long left the minds of audiences and the current young crop wouldn't know what 70mm film is. Many think movies come from a disk anyway. In short, the industry is responcible for the reduction in standards over the years and very soon, may not be able to compete with home entertainment.

In the fifties it was easy with wide screen systems swamping the impact of small black and white TV set. Today the competition is a far bigger monster. Don't worry about the life of film, there are much larger concerns.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-15-2006 09:06 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tell you, in the last couple of months I've had a chill go down me regarding DCinema...it seems like the fools ary TRYING to put up roadblocks to the "movement."

While the 1.3K systems were pre-DCI it is absolute stupidity not to support them (with source material) so long as there is someone that wants to display the movie that way. They are not "run out of the door" horrible and it sends a very horrible message that if you invest in this technology, one can randomly just say, "no we don't want to supply you with that resolution anymore." We are not talking about trying to support some obsolete mechanical part...just the image files at a LOWER resolution. There is simply no reason for this any more than there would be a reason to say if you didn't buy your lenses in the last 10-years, we are not going to supply you with 35mm film prints.

But wait the subilties don't stop there. Now some studios (well soon to be all) are not going to offer their movies in anything but JPEG2000 format...so all of those systems that were put in for Chicken Little and such are going to have to be ripped out and replaced/updated. Why? This business of having to always have the latest is just plain stupid. It is not like the equipment is going to put out an inferior show this year than last year.

Technology is going to march on...there is no reason one needs to ALWAYS have the latest. People already don't have the answers as to how all of this is going to be paid for and here they are demanding that once you pay...you MUST pay again. It is like a $20K-$100K a year subsciption (depending on what is declared too old fashioned to be acceptable). Somebody is paying for all of this and it is truely wasted money even if it is not the exhibitor.

Who is driving this train?

6-months ago, I would have said that 50% of the US theatres would be digital in 5-years...now, I'm not so certain. Sombody should be hiring lawyers to put an end to this "your equipment isn't good enough" attitude, DCI or no. We never had that with film and there is a very wide range of projectors, optics and sound systems out there.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-15-2006 09:26 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been reading all youze guys posts and I'm going to give the short answer: Digital cinema will hit "saturation" in no less than ten years. Film will reach obsolecence in no less than twenty. 70mm and "special" formats will probably last a lot longer than that. Much of the infrastructure, in terms of film manufacture and processing, will be switched over to making 70mm film.

I used to work in a TV store, way back in 1992. Customers used to ask me, "When is digital TV coming?" I used to tell them "Ten to fifteen years. Maybe more." Well, it's almost fifteen years later and digital TV STILL hasn't reached saturation!

So, my estimates for film are probably going to end up falling short as well.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2006 12:23 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nicely put [Smile] ,My guess is <7 years. Did you know that the first test of a video projector in a cinema was done in New York in 1929? I kid you not! Personally I'm tired digital vs 35mm comparisons, digital cinema is going to have to be vastly better than 35mm to recapture the audience and to draw the audience back to cinemas
In the 50s, it was Color, Wide Screen, 6 track sound that made cinema relevent in the B&W tv era. Interactive Computer Games, Large plasmas screens, 5.1 sound and the introduction of HD & blue ray means that the cinema offers no real advantage over watching it at home. You can simply see it first.
Film can be vastly better by simply speeding it up, 60 fps is the ideal for the human eye. Digital technology really should not be limited to 24fps, perhaps a variable rate 24-60fps digital projector would be a dramatic step in the right direction.
Over the last 7 years digital projectors have dramatically improved, and I'm sure within 7 years will be getting to a stage where they are better than the film technology of today. Who knows 60fps digital technology may make 70mm look old hat ,I hope someone gives it a try. I also wish that the cinema image of the future is better than the best of today, not simply a digital projector designed to be more of the same.
Sound wise a move away from bass refex boxes would also be a great first step! 4 way active technology has been an ideal since the 1950s and now is getting affordable!

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2006 07:35 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quoted
"Interactive Computer Games, Large plasmas screens, 5.1 sound and the introduction of HD & blue ray means that the cinema offers no real advantage over watching it at home. You can simply see it first."

Well I know a lot of people who still have a 20 inch TV and 30$ DVD player... I think a 30 ft screen and a 500 Watt digital surround system is still more then the average house hold. Plus its kind of a rip off to watch movies at home. $2000.00 for your HD-TV, $1200.00 for a good 5.1 system...then you have to rent DVD's at up to $5.00 a pop..

I'd rather pay $6.00 and go to the Movies..But I guess a lot of people wouldn't.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2006 08:40 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem Paul is that people who still have a 20 inch TV and 30$ DVD player are people who do not care about 30' screens and 500 Watt sound systems. These are the people who long ago stopped being regular theatre goers, and going digital is not going to change that.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2006 02:06 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Paul Gordon
I'd rather pay $6.00 and go to the Movies..But I guess a lot of people wouldn't.
Well, looks like prices are up to $9.75 here! [Eek!]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: