Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Jerry Lewis Cinemas (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Jerry Lewis Cinemas
Christopher Crouch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2006 05:49 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch       Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading about Jerry Lewis's breif venture in to franchising a chain of "mini cinemas" in the early 70's. As per the information I came across, the concept was to franchise small, "easily run", family theatres, under the Jerry Lewis name. Allegedly, there was even some sort of "fool proof" projection system in place that novices could handle. The business and idea obviously flopped, but I was wondering if anyone had any memories or experiences?

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 06-15-2006 07:16 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This has been discussed before; if you do a search you can find previous topics. Although, I never read any actual specifics about the equipment used. My understanding was he pushed the idea of using 16mm to avoid some fees (taxes, etc.)

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-15-2006 07:23 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to service a number of those locations in the Midwest but this was after the Jerry Lewis thing was over. They typically had Simplex's with mini-pec automation.. a few Phillips FP-20's, and some had Pro 35's after those appeared. The big problem and what killed some locations was projectionist labor/benefits cost. These normally smallish theaters were designed to be owner-operated and as far as I know only one theater in the Chicago area actually got away with running their own booth... that was Western Heights Cinema which was a twin Jerry Lewis. That location had pro 35's and auto c/o running on hour reels... ORC 1000 lamphouses and Ballantyne mono sound... later a Smart SR-300 on one side. This location is now I believe a 10 screen MArcus location and the original Jerry Lewis building is still nestled within the present building! There was also the Cork Cinema in Justice, IL. way south and one other I can't remember... the latter two were single screens with very short lives of just a few years. There are one or two surviving cinemas out werst in the Mountain States but I'll have to find out which and where they are.

Mark

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-15-2006 07:35 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Jerry Lewis cinema in Rochester (on Carter Street near Ridge Road East) is now an auto parts store.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-15-2006 08:05 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Memories! A number of JL Cinemas in Indianapolis, Seymour Indiana: all Simplex as Mark described. A "near JL" in Frankfort, KY used Westrex on Christie 1000 watt console and Theatremation made by Omar Freeman. All are gone except the Frankfort location, now with many more screens owned by Chakeres Theatres. Louis

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2006 08:59 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is already a thread dedicated to Jerry Lewis Cinemas, Click Here.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2006 09:58 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The theatre I started at was a Jerry Lewis Twin, which was located at the South PLains Mall here in Lubbock. In 73 it was taken over by General Cinema, who sold it to United Artists in 74. It was running with Century SA's, 6000 ft reels with automated changeover, one house was red with 330 seats, the other house was blue with 350 seats. In 78, after Star Wars kept selling out the blue house over and over again, 2 more screens were added across the lobby, Orcon II consoles were acquired, Christie Autowind 3,s were acquired and the existing Centurys were used in all 4. The biggest house had Magnetic 4-channel capability (the penthouse was a Simplex) and a Dolby CP50. Cinemark aquired the theater (and me) in 92. The lease ran out in 94.
Fred Fisher was asked if any of our theatres could be retrofitted for THX. After he stopped laughing, he said the only auditoriums he would consider was the original "Jerry Lewis" ones as they were square and the add-ons were shotgun. (Including the biggest house).
A Comp-USA store now occupies the site.

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2006 01:02 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: James Westbrook
The theatre I started at was a Jerry Lewis Twin, which was located at the South PLains Mall here in Lubbock. In 73 it was taken over by General Cinema, who sold it to United Artists in 74.
So where employeed when John Devine was the manager there? Do these names also ring a bell, Paul Majors, Jason Logan?

Robert Harrison
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2006 05:03 PM      Profile for Robert Harrison   Email Robert Harrison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ 03-11-2007, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: Robert Harrison ]

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 06-16-2006 05:35 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert -- do you work for Village Theatres? If so -- who can I e-mail for permission to photograph for Cinematour/FilmTech?

Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2006 05:56 PM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Robert Harrison
my boss almost took it over. Of course, the asking price was more than 5 dollars, so he passed.

Hmmm..I just got an idea for a new topic...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-16-2006 07:23 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the other Chicago area theatre that Mark couldn't remember the name of was in Elk Grove.
You are correct Robert! It was called the Elk Grove Cinema... ! I did the first Willisized booth work there many years ago... Back when Wolk just started to (or should I say Attempted to) make Century gears..... [Roll Eyes] . I also re-opened the one in Justice once for a Greek guy and he called it the Chandelier Theatre... He had this huge gaudy Chandelier hanging in the lobby... so ugly! I think that alone scared people away [uhoh] . He was a nice guy as are all Greeks I've ever met but it only lasted about 6 months... it has never re-opened again far as I know and may not even exist any more. Tell Ron about it cause if its still there it could indeed be had for less than 5 bucks..... [Big Grin]

quote: John Walsh
My understanding was he pushed the idea of using 16mm to avoid some fees (taxes, etc.)
Nope! It was to avoid hiring expensive union labor. call it taxes if you like... what ever. I never encountered any 16mm installations nor remnants of 16mm anywhere.

Mark

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2006 09:30 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William,
John Devine ("J.D") started in 82 as a Janitor, became an assistant manager in the late 80's, became the manager in 90. He went to Corpus Christi's Padre Staples 6 in 91. He took Paul with him. Jason took JD's place as manager and was still manager when Cinemark took it over in 92. Long suffering Tim Hinson was our district manager based in Odessa. Jason didn't want to work with Cinemark and for a while was an assistant in Odessa until his dad begged him to move back to Lubbock and finish his schooling. The last I heard,
Jason is selling Pharmacuticals in the Dallas area (where his family is now based. His sister Kristy is in the pictures area in the Galaxy 10 as a box cashier). Jason is rumored to have married and may have children, which he said years and years ago he was going to keep far away from me (as I likely would teach them bad profanity. [evil]
Paul Majors married JD's sister and has moved back to Lubbock. He has...2...3? kids now and is a post man. (Yes, Paul is Postal). [Smile]
JD's sister (Andi?) said JD's working for a stock broker agency. He got fed up with UA. He married someone who was working for UA in some capacity but I never knew her...he has children, too.
Ray Andress, our former UA tech, owns a drive-in in Abiline, Texas, near his hometown of Hamlin, Texas. This is relevant as we were both trained in projection by Darwin Barnes, who had been in the business when sound was started to be printed on film. (29?)
I've been in this business so long, I run into one of my UA co-workers here in Lubbock at least eight times a year...and sometimes their children...who seem older than they should...be?

Robert Harrison
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2006 02:42 PM      Profile for Robert Harrison   Email Robert Harrison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ 03-11-2007, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: Robert Harrison ]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-19-2006 07:20 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He also has a picture of the "Stairs of Death" that lead up to the projection room in the big house.

Stairs of death might be an understatement! Try carrying your toolbox and stuff up that thing sometime. There had to be a payoff to some building inspector to allow it to exist!

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: