Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Broken DLP Makes Customer Leave (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Broken DLP Makes Customer Leave
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2006 07:28 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Polaris Rave 18 -- Far North Columbus OH

Made a special trip up there tonight to see CARS with DLP projecction..only DLP in area, and quite a bit out of the way for me. Got a bad feeling when paper signs said CARS in Theatre 1 would be in Theatre 7, knowing that 1 is the DLP screen. Ticket seller confirmed...no DLP and no idea when it would be back up. Very disappointing. Wife and I left.

I'll be sure to call up there later in the week before I try again.

Wasn't DLP going to solve all of the downtime problems? I thought digital meant perfect! [Wink]

|  IP: Logged

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2006 08:46 PM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New igniter was installed and back and running today, I did it myself. Sorry you made the trip for nothing...

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-12-2006 09:01 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Must not be a digital igniter.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-12-2006 11:44 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What type of system is in use there?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-13-2006 02:42 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I thought digital meant perfect!
No, sorry..FAR from being perfect in any means...

DigCinema opened up a whole new world of problems...just like any computer problems .... chip array problems, sys board problems, server problems, and networking problems....and finally the same..user input error problems...

As what used to be posted in the front of this FT site: "FILM - might be a four-letter word.." (forget the rest of this saying...) where I would say, "yet, it has proved itself to be a stable medium."

-Monte

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2006 05:38 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, Thanks for the information..we'll go back and check it out later in the week.

Brad, that is a Real-D system installed for CHICKEN LITTLE. It has run many of the digital releases since the original install.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 06-13-2006 05:57 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
one must remember that a lot of things that can prevent a movie from hitting the screen have nothing to do with the projector head. Console and sound can prevent a movie from running or not running at the quality level that it should.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 06-13-2006 09:47 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What digital projector brand?

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2006 10:22 AM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barco DP100

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 06-13-2006 04:14 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
DigCinema opened up a whole new world of problems...just like any computer problems .... chip array problems, sys board problems, server problems, and networking problems....and finally the same..user input error problems...

It would be very interesting to know what the general consensus was when each of the major changes in cinema occurred. If we had a forum like this, we could all go back and look, but hey, we can't really now can we.

Really though, what was the majority thought when we introduced...

Talking
Color
Panavision
Stereo
Surround
Stadium Seating
Reclining Seats
Adjustable Armrests
Armrests with drink holders
Platters
Film-Guard
Xenon Lamps
Previews
Commercials
Product Placements
On Screen Kissing
Hugging
Sleeping in the same bed
Swearing
Digital Sound
George Lucas the brilliant
George Lucas the current
Polyestar
Technicolor
IMAX

and so on....

basically my point is that we are going to have changes, advances, and each time they will not be perfect, and there will be problems. However in time we refine these processes, and move forward to the next technology to try and refine the experience.

Film is a time tested technology, but lets face it... We live in a world with limited resources. The amount of whatever it is that is used to make the film is going to increase with the ever increasing number of crap films and population going to see them. Better we build computers that can play hundreds of these crap films and quit transporting these things around wasting fuel and natural resources.

It's going to get better. It's better in the long run for the environment. It's better that we at least try to provide a solid entertainment experience, instead of staying in one technology for the end of all time.

Ciao

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 06-13-2006 04:53 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since when is an igniter problem unique to DLP ?

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 06-14-2006 08:08 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back when I saw Chicken Little in DLP, I noted that the xenon bulb was on long before the show started. When I asked about that here, someone mentioned that they were told to keep the bulb on all day. I rhetorically asked what the difference was between a xenon bulb in a DLP projector and one in a film projector that necessitated it being on all day, and not surprisingly, I received no answer.

Maybe it's because the ignitors aren't reliable.

[Razz]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-14-2006 09:04 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has something to do with reducing thermal stress on the DLP chips. They would prefer to be hot all the time than to be subject to repeated temperature cycles.

I'm surprised that they didn't have a spare igniter at the theatre; if they did, then the show wouldn't have been lost.

Did they have a backup 35mm print, or was the screen dark until the repair could be completed?

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 06-14-2006 09:16 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barco chassis is very modular so the fix should have been easy.....still dealing with a lamphouse and power supply working to a projection head [Smile]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-14-2006 10:01 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In order to achieve longer lamp life, DCinema machines reduce the number of ignitions. ANY flicker in a lamp immediately shows on a video image...there is no shutter to mask it like with a film projector.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: