Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Sony exhibiting Da Vinci Code in 4K (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Sony exhibiting Da Vinci Code in 4K
Aaron Haney
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2006 04:59 PM      Profile for Aaron Haney   Email Aaron Haney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From here:
quote:
The company has installed one of the projectors at a theater in Los Angeles that will show Sony Pictures' "The Da Vinci Code." The company, in conjunction with National CineMedia, a joint venture of AMC Entertainment Inc., Cinemark USA Inc. and Regal Entertainment Group, will install projectors in two other theaters next month in yet to be determined locations.

The 4K projectors promise richer color and better contrast that draws moviegoers into the image. The major difference, however, will be seen by those who sit closest to the movie screen, who will see sharper images without noticing individual pixels, which can occur in a theater with 2K projection.

Sony recently tested its system using a clip from the 1965 classic "The Sound of Music." When it was projected in 4K, viewers were able to pick out two hairs sticking up from Julie Andrews' head and see details of the weave in her dress.

"Anything that enhances the visual experience, that better supports the artistry, the story of the motion picture being exhibited, anything that raises the bar of higher quality is a benefit to the moviegoer," said Andrew Stucker, general manager of the digital cinema systems group at Sony Electronics.

I'm surprised any company would still do business with Sony when it comes to theatrical equipment, after getting burned on SDDS. Still, I'm glad to see 4K moving forward, even if it's just a baby step.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2006 07:42 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What theatre has this?

Aaron Haney
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2006 05:33 AM      Profile for Aaron Haney   Email Aaron Haney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
None of the articles I looked at mention the location or name of the theater that is supposedly showing it.

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2006 01:21 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am told the theatre is the AMC Century City 15.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2006 03:40 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also believe the venue is the new AMC Century 15. The movie is being promoted in the local papers as a digital projection presentation, though there's no specific mention of 4K.

I plan to see it in the next couple of days.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 05-21-2006 05:25 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll chime in as a third person to hear it's 4K at the AMC Century City 15.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-21-2006 07:29 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, hope you (or someone) checks it out and gives us a report.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-22-2006 12:13 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Aaron Haney
I'm surprised any company would still do business with Sony when it comes to theatrical equipment, after getting burned on SDDS.
quote: Mark Lensenmayer
What theatre has this?
quote: Adam Martin was the last to post
AMC
[Roll Eyes]

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2006 02:06 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And here is from an "official" source:

From Variety.com :

Sony Pictures isn't the only division of its parent conglomconglom banking on "The Da Vinci Code" this weekend: Sony Electronics is looking to it as the first test of its digital cinema strategy.
Pic will be the first to play commercially in the U.S. on one of Sony's 4K digital projectors. While other d-cinema companies are producing so-called 2K projectors, which are lower-quality but easier to manufacture and deploy, Sony is competing with its bigger, better and more expensive alternative.

Sony's 4K projectors have lagged behind 2K projectors, which are already in the market. The first one has been installed at the AMC Century City 15, however, and will play "Da Vinci" on its opening night.

Sony is installing projectors at Regal and Cinemark theaters in the next few weeks and plans to use the three to test its technology, thus far used only in Japan.

"This is our opportunity to test how our equipment works in the real world," said Sony digital systems group manger Andrew Stucker. "We're anxious to talk with all the studios about playing more movies on them throughout the summer."

(end of article)

Interestingly, the Cinerama Dome at the Arclight has dropped all references to DA VINCI CODE being shown in 2K Digital Projection from their ads and website (where they have been "hyping" the 2K). Could this be because they fear hyping an "inferior" presentation? (The Arclight is a prime example of a theatre where digital might improve things. They seem to LOVE splotches of dirt and scratches on their prints, including brand new 70mm ones).

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-22-2006 09:06 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to mention 35mm Cinerama ones.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 05-22-2006 06:43 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I have a reason to go see this movie now.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2006 08:08 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is great news if the projectors work in day-to-day operation as advertised. Somebody that saw the Sony demo last year described it as looking as good as 35mm dailies that he had seen.

If AMC and Regal get in bed with 4k (through National Cinemedia) it will go a long way to getting 4k product available. 4k is what the industry needs. Unfortunately, it's Sony supplying it.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-23-2006 07:51 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What technology does the Sony projector use?

What format was this film originated in? If a film format, has it been through a digital intermediate before the 4k transfer was made? If so, what resolution was this?

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2006 08:55 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Sony projector uses Sony's SXRD (Silicon Crystal Reflective Display) technology. It is Sony's variation of LCOS, which in a nutshell is an LCD with a mirror behind it. I've never seen SXRD in action but apparently the pixel spacing is very small.

From a Doremi press release:
quote:
Doremi Cinema's DMS-2000 is the first digital cinema mastering station to create 4k movie files for major Hollywood Studio releases. The DMS-2000 was utilized to encode DCI / JPEG2000 4k masters for the new Da Vinci Code and RV movies.
Da Vinci was shot on film. It can only be assumed that there was a 4k DI used.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-23-2006 11:58 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Anything that enhances the visual experience, that better supports the artistry, the story of the motion picture being exhibited, anything that raises the bar of higher quality is a benefit to the moviegoer,"
ANYTHING that enhances the visual experience? How about shooting in 65 and installing 70mm in a major way around the country? What make me think they are not THAT concerned about enhancing the visual experience for benefit of the moviegoer. As for the "bar" of higher quality -- it's already set, no one needs Sony to raise it. And the bar is 70mm. Beat THAT with zeros and ones and whatever number of Ks it takes and then you'd be saying something.

Just a reminder to Mr. Stucker -- you can see those two hairs in an original Super Panavision presentation. The Sony 4K projector couldn't have shown those hairs if they weren't already there on the FILM.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: