Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » How long do you keep ticket stubs? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: How long do you keep ticket stubs?
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-18-2006 01:06 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and how do you store them?

I used to keep our stubs in a daily envelope but on less popular movies I recently switched to a weekly envelope (just to save envelopes). It still creates a mess ... how do you deal with this?

|  IP: Logged

Cory Isemann
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2006 01:07 PM      Profile for Cory Isemann   Author's Homepage   Email Cory Isemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We keep ours for 3 months. We have 3 large plastic trash cans that get rotated each month. We keep the ticket stubs in plastic bags.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 05-18-2006 01:20 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I'm not into the business side of theater operations, I have a question: Why would a theatre want to keep the ticket stubs after tallying and reconciling the daily counts? Just curious. Three months seems like a long time to me.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2006 02:26 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We keep a collection dating back since BC took over from Reading in 2003. We collect them nightly into wax bags & staple one ticket to each bag for dating. We've never been audited, but we play it ultra-safe.

Chris Mosel
Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2006 02:40 PM      Profile for Chris Mosel   Email Chris Mosel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We keep for one month. 32 plastic shoe boxes with lids labeled 1-31 and extra. Toss out the appropriate box each day.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-18-2006 04:22 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Paul Mayer
Why would a theatre want to keep the ticket stubs after tallying and reconciling the daily counts? Just curious.
Since we have a booker I don't deal with contracts directly but I'm fairly sure it is required by contract to keep them for a while, at least.

Matt Kerekes
Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2006 06:47 PM      Profile for Matt Kerekes   Email Matt Kerekes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have worked at various theatres, each has been different. Some keep stubs a week, some 2 weeks, some 1 month or 2, and one didn't even keep the stubs, they just made a half-inch tear in the ticket and gave it back to the customer, when they left and came back, they got another tear. I have always been told they are for auditing purposes, but never seen them used in an audit.

- Matt.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2006 07:12 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We need stubs for auditors, not too sure what they want with them though. However the other major chain doesn't take ticket stubs, guy at the barrier just tears it.

Our tickets are put in an envelope daily and it is dated and stored.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2006 07:49 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Mosel
We keep for one month. 32 plastic shoe boxes with lids labeled 1-31 and extra. Toss out the appropriate box each day.
I see you're prepared for when Congress enacts the 32-day month.

Chris Mosel
Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2006 11:27 PM      Profile for Chris Mosel   Email Chris Mosel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually work at least 32 days a month. [Wink] Sometimes more, so I have to cheat and double box a couple of days. Please don't tell anyone. [thumbsup]
If not that them someone always manages to screw up a day here and there so we can put back up CYA stubs in "Extra."

Jeff Arellano
Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2006 11:49 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the longest time, AMC Used to hold them 3 months. Bag them and throw them into a huge trash can (60 Gal), that after the 3 months, can be rolled out and dumped into the compactor.

Alexander Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2006 05:51 PM      Profile for Alexander Smith   Email Alexander Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if this is representative of cinemas here
in the UK, but we don't keep ticket stubs at all.

The computer ticketing system produces an exhibitor's
report at the end of each day for each film. The system
keeps electronic records for, actually I don't know how
long for. The printed exhibitor's reports are kept for
long time, I don't recall ever seeing them being disposed
of.

I guess different companies have their own protocols for
this type of thing.

Alex.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2006 09:42 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is an auditing issue. You should have the same amount of stubs that you have tickets sold. If you have less stubs than tickets sold it could be indicative of a cashier "double selling" tickets by ripping them and selling both halves pocketing the cash for one of the halves.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2006 11:03 AM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have one half that has 'customer copy' printed on it.

Dan Zastrow
Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2006 04:29 PM      Profile for Dan Zastrow   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Zastrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keeping ticket stubs is really only useful for in house to keep an eye on your box staff. A good tell tale that you have some collusion with your box office and door personnel selling "half tickets" is when your concession cap strangely goes up during certain shifts.
The studios used to send counters out (they may still do it but I haven't had one in years) who would introduce themselves to the manager, count heads at each show and then ask for your numbers at the end of the day to compare. Perhaps those of you working in the commercial end of exhibition can tell me if they still do that but in the art house world they don't seem to be too concerned. They seem to be more interested that the average ticket price doesn’t go down too much do to VIP and passes.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: