Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Auditorium Mess, getting worse ? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Auditorium Mess, getting worse ?
Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2006 01:31 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A while back we all had a coood gripe about the state our toilets end up in.

I am curious as to how others are finding their auditoriums after sessions , I am certain the mess is getting alot worse as time goes on.

I think we all accept some spilt popcorn , just a fact of cinema life , but the increase of empty containers and packets just dumped on the floor along with melted icecreams is on the rise over here.

With the operator doubling as the cleaner and 4 minute session turn arounds , it really puts the pressure on when we have totally trashed auditoriums.

Phil

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-10-2006 03:20 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People here are generally pretty good about hauling their empties to the cans. You have to pass by not one, not two, but three trash receptacles on the way out of our place, so it's easy and convenient for people to clean up after themselves.

If it's a kids movie, all bets are off, but a good adult crowd isn't bad at all these days.

Probably the thing that's helped us the most was the invention of the cupholders....they cut down on at least 90% of the spills. We have Greystone seats, and the cupholders on them are GREAT.

Nick Scott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2006 04:02 AM      Profile for Nick Scott   Author's Homepage   Email Nick Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed if we have an usher at the door nobody picks up anything for themselves but if they dont see anyone they generally take all of there big stuff with them.
Its also great to have a hand held dust buster handy to quickly pick up the scattered popcorn around the cinema they work well [thumbsup]

[ 05-10-2006, 05:35 AM: Message edited by: Nick Scott ]

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2006 07:10 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try doing the showtimes so that you have more then four minutes to clean.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2006 07:23 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like the Austrailians are becoming more like Americans everyday! In the big cities of the US - the theatres are usually a big giant mess at the end of every show. We have a mandatory minimum of 20 minutes between every show, sometimes 30 minutes if we can squeeze it.

Dieter Depypere
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2006 08:57 AM      Profile for Dieter Depypere   Email Dieter Depypere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the theatre I work at, there is usually low amount of mess - ususally a small amount of spilled popcorn, an empty softdrink bottle, maybe a used ticket. It gets worse when lots of children are here.

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2006 10:34 AM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where I work at, on our slow days, the amount of trash is not so bad, but, on our busy days (especially with those kids movies), our auditoriums can get pretty trashed up which makes for a very busy clean up. Thank goodness for the invention of cup holders.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2006 11:30 AM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's always less mess in 'arthouse' films we show.

People usually leave their empties in the cinema.

Worst we've had recently was Narnia, took four of us nearly twenty minutes to clean on opening weekend. Mostly adults as well. Spills aren't so common because of cup holders.

Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2006 05:50 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our theater, which is primarily all arthouse, is rarely left messy... unless it's a late night showing. Not only that, we've trained our audiences to recycle too! During the pre-show introduction, I ask everyone to drop their glass and plastic in the recycling bins... and they do.

Regardless of how messy our theaters are, I like to schedule at least 20 minutes between shows so we can sweep up every bit of popcorn, clean up spills if necessary, and vacuum the carpet. I know, I'm anal... but we get lots of compliments on how clean our auditorium always is.

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2006 06:22 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4 minutes to clean an auditorium and get the show back on the screen? Just how far can an operator be pushed, anyway? Don't
you have more floorstaff? [Confused]

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2006 08:32 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two weeks ago I actually saw a woman stop a little girl (I'm assuming her daughter) from carrying her trash out. I heard her tell her "Just leave it, honey. That's what the people get paid to do." I will be re-introducing my "justifiable homicide" bill to my state congressmen.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 05-10-2006 11:03 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe we little to complain about, after all we sold it to them, the quantity of trash is directly related to the cash that came in, be glad. In our experience the art film patrons buy very little at the concession so there is correspondingly less trash. They also don't bring their crap out, I guess due to their arrogant attitudes.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2006 08:50 AM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We couldn't clean a screen in four minutes unless it was an 11am showing. Do you not end up cleaning as the ads and trailers start rolling?

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2006 08:57 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although, I try not to leave a huge mess, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the theatre to provide clean-up service when I just paid $8.50 for maybe a dollar worth of popcorn and drink. When I eat in a restaurant, they clean up after I eat, why should a theatre be any different?

On a separate note, concession prices are really getting ridiculous. I'm not a cheap person when I go out but when you can't possibly spend less than $6 for the smallest size popcorn and drink it causes me to consider whether that part of the movie going experience is really necessary. Usually I buy anyway. Well, I guess that's another topic alltogether.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2006 08:06 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A restaurant isn't a cinema. Food isn't the primary purpose of going. You aren't forced to eat there so you should at least take your rubbish back out with you. Also we're not really there as cleaners it's more of a fire safety thing. If people weren't messy and there was some way round fire rules most chains would forgo floor staff I think.

Although half the reason I bin my waste at cinemas and fast-food places is because I know some poorly-paid cinema/fast food monkey like me will have the mind-numbing task of doing it otherwise.

If the food wasn't so expensive the tickets would be. And you aren't forced to buy the overpriced food (it's less than a dollars worth of coke and popcorn). Even with 40% staff discount I think it's too expensive, the only reason I buy is convenience, if there's 20 minutes before the start of a film I'll get something from a convenience store and put it in my bag.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: