Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Quality theater (like Northpark 1) in the Dallas, TX area? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Quality theater (like Northpark 1) in the Dallas, TX area?
Jeff Wirz
Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2006 01:51 PM      Profile for Jeff Wirz   Email Jeff Wirz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone,

I "lurk" a lot on this site but after seeing MI:3 this weekend, I just have to find a quality theater.

I grew up going to the Northpark 1 theater in Dallas, TX. It was perfection. Everything about it was always great. The film was always in focus and the sound was INCREDIBLE.

I hated the day it closed and have never been happy with any other theater since. The Regal Gateway in Austin, TX was pretty good but I am in Dallas again so that's not an option.

No matter where I go now, I almost always end up walking out of the theater. The focus is usually off or the sound is no where near the level where it should be. WHERE IS THE BASS?!??

Northpark is what really got me into home theater too. I have spent over $20,000 to be able to watch movies the right way, like Northpark presented them.

My set up is now a 119" screen, 720p projector, and 7.1 with Buttkicker transducers. I had to have that "Northpark" bass. [Smile]

If anyone around the Dallas area knows of a quality theater, I will be there. The Galaxy was always lacking, as is the DLP at the Legacy.

People just do not seem to care these days about presenting movies the way they should be heard and seen.

Thanks!

You can email me too: DELETED - READ THE RULES

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum area.

[ 05-08-2006, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: Brad Miller ]

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-08-2006 05:50 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The area you posted in is OK, but you need to edit-out the email address you put in your post. That's TOTALLY against the rules (it's to protect you from spambots, I think).

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2006 06:53 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since you already have all the equipment at home, just wait three weeks for the DVD.... [Razz]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-08-2006 07:05 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Such a theater does not exist in the Dallas area. There isn't even a close second. Sorry.

Jeff Wirz
Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2006 09:37 AM      Profile for Jeff Wirz   Email Jeff Wirz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about the email address.

Hey Brad, that is what I thought. Oh well, I was hoping you may know someone in the area that actually cares about a good presentation.

I do wait for DVDs most of the time but with the big blockbusters I really want to see it in the theater on opening day or even a sneak preview.

I guess the glory days of seeing movies in the theater are indeed gone now.

What a shame.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-09-2006 01:19 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jeff Wirz
I guess the glory days of seeing movies in the theater are indeed gone now.
Well, in Dallas at least.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-09-2006 03:40 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It's gone probably everywhere Mike. I have yet to find another theater anywhere which reached that sort of quality level. There have been some good seconds scattered here and there, but nothing as good as what he is wanting.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2006 05:47 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess the problem is that those of us that desire to open a theatre like that don't have the money to build one.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2006 07:21 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel very lucky to work for a guy who understands the true meaning of showmanship. After our re-model and upgrade, our theatre will be a true 'premiere' theatre. I just get to manage it and run it. I don't know if I would want to have all the headaches of owning it. Not to mention the financial risk of owning your own business.

My goal is to build a theatre in my house. Why? Because even when the theatre I manage is the best theatre on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - why would I want to watch a movie with a bunch of idiots? And yes, I will screen some movies late at night or early in the morning when no one else is in the building - but it is still work. Everyone needs their time away from their job.

Someday, I will have that private screening room in my house. In the meantime - if there are no good moviehouses left to see a film in - then maybe we are at the end of our rope in the theatre business.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-09-2006 07:31 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem isn't the money it takes to build such a theater, like the Northpark 1-2.

The problem has more to do with the exhibition industry's lack of desire to maintain a high standards level of presentation quality.

Granted, it isn't really cheap to build one auditorium with over 1000 seats and have expert audio engineers custom-engineer the theater's sound system.

However, a lot of theaters would have much better presentation quality if they just had some regular maintenance. I think a lot of theaters go at least a year or two between re-tunings, if not longer than that. The sound systems at Northpark 1-2 were retuned all the time. Repairs for things like blown speakers were carried out quickly. Things weren't simply left broken like they are in so many other theaters.

I don't think you necessarily have to have a 1000+ seat auditorium in order to have a great theater. Although, there is a kind of cool rush you get when you walk into a really big screening room. Great projection and sound quality can occur even in the smallest of auditoriums if the theater owners would bother to invest in better presentation quality.

With that issue being stated, I don't think "D-Cinema" as its called will greatly improve matters. Viewers are still going to encounter screens with dim and blurry projection quality and sound that is way out of tune, wimpy on dynamic range and lacking on the bass. I think the problems will persist because routine maintenance is more a policy issue rather than a "digital versus analog" issue.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2006 07:57 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not the cost of building one screen or even two. No theatre is going to be very viable with less than 8 screens. Any smaller and you have huge problems with one "dud" that you booked and is taking up screens that you need to bring in something that does business.

Even if you can find an existing empty theatre to re-open, the sound systems will probably run $40,000 - $60,000 per auditorium depending on size. Figure 2000 seats at $150 a pop that's $300,000. So far we're at around $700,000 without a picture. Maybe you can do the screens, projectors, cosmetic stuff and concession stand for $300,000. So, if you found an empty 8 plex, it would take around $1,000,000 to get it up an running at a level like the description of northpark I & II.

If you had to build the building, you're probably looking at $4,000,000 plus land for an 8 plex.

If everybody is ready to chip in and create "Film-Tech Theatres" maybe we can do it!

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-09-2006 08:34 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinema World 8 here in Eugene has a big "For Lease" sign on it. Hey, these 8 screens were renovated in 1995 and they were all THX-certified. It's a start. [Cool] (I'm not suggesting it was ever in the Northpark's league, but in the right hands...)

Of course, since owner Regal is replacing it with a new 15-plex across the street, they might have other ideas. [Wink]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-10-2006 02:04 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
The sound systems at Northpark 1-2 were retuned all the time. Repairs for things like blown speakers were carried out quickly. Things weren't simply left broken like they are in so many other theaters.
Ummmm, we tuned the sound systems for every single film that ran in at Northpark. Even when the print moved houses, a full tuning would be performed. Also, whenever something was noticed that was wrong (blown speaker/dead amp), it was repaired that day as we had replacement EVERYTHING in the booth. This was a special situation however where all of the projectionists were competent though. Nowadays a theater is lucky if there is one person in the building with enough knowledge to even change out a blown driver.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2006 02:33 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so at the end of the day... was the northpark losing money?

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2006 05:59 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jeff Wirz
People just do not seem to care these days about presenting movies the way they should be heard and seen.
It's almost like theaters don't want to hire those of us with actual booth experience. It seems like they want the greenest people they can find.

Sure, I could start all over again, cleaning piss of toliet seats, but is it worth it?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: