Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Valet Concessions

Author Topic: Valet Concessions
Matt Kerekes
Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2006 10:58 AM      Profile for Matt Kerekes   Email Matt Kerekes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone tried having concessionists take orders in theatres and bring it to them in their seats? If so, what kind of advice can you give me if I were thinking about trying it. Any ideas such as menus, seating charts, etc? Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2006 02:18 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen roaming concessionists only once, They used numbered tickets and gave the customers in the theatre a paddle similar to the ones used at auctions. The person would hold the paddle up when the concessionist returned with the orders to signal where they were and what order number they had. It was kind of a goofy system.

The only thing that I can see working pretty well is to take a "sports arena" approach and have the person carry a tray of candy or other easily caried items and some change. Soda and popcorn would still be handled at the counter.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2006 05:44 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're starting this at the moment. Sold Coke and ice cream on trays during the ads and trailers. It went well financially. You can get Coca-Cola branded trays that look quite good.

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2006 10:20 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
A long time ago, I think it was first-run STAR WARS or some similar summertime blockbuster, I was at a theater in DC where the lines waiting for the next show reached halfway around the block and the crowd took forever to enter and get seated - vendors with sodas in stadium-style trays both outside serving the lines, and inside (pre-show) serving those who were reluctant to stand up and risk losing their seats.

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2006 10:11 AM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Previous discussion

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-08-2006 11:58 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At K-B theatres, it was quite common for us to have "Hawkers" that would sell soda and popcorn to people in line as well as in the theatres. This was particularly true of the theatres in the city. The K-B Cinema really did well with that. When you have 824 seats and only a short time to get the theatre switched around for another sold-out show...you make the most of the time you have.

One guy really did a show with it, Sam Ramsey...his tag line was always "By a hot popcorn and get a free napkin; buy a ice cold drink and get a free straw; what a deal folks!" It always got laughs and sales. Other creative guys also had their routines at various theatres. The ones that really got into it did notably better than those that just carried or pushed their carts.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-08-2006 12:08 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemark here used to have a couple guys with a snack cart visit the crowded auditoriums on weekends. They entertained the crowd with movie trivia questions and gave out some kind of small prize for correct answers (I think it was candy of some kind). They were pretty good at it, the crowd liked it, and they sold a lot of crap off those carts (which stocked only the LARGE sizes of drinks and popcorn).

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2006 06:43 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To go back to the original post I wouldn't attempt to take orders from customers. You've got a window of 30mins max to sell to people before a film starts and running back and forth limits the time your staff can be selling in the screen.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: