Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Is "A day without an Immigrant" affecting your theatre? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Is "A day without an Immigrant" affecting your theatre?
Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2006 12:14 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NO POLITICS ALLOWED IN THIS THREAD. I DON'T CARE WHAT YOUR OPINION IS ON THE POLITICAL STATEMENTS TRYING TO BE EXPRESSED. I JUST CARE IF IT'S AFFECTING YOUR BUSINESS.

quote: source: CNN
It will be tens of millions from coast to coast, from Los Angeles to New York," Javier Rodriguez, a spokesman for the March 25 Coalition, told CNN. "You can expect L.A. to be at a standstill almost totally. You will not have truckers. You will not have taxi drivers, garment workers, hotel workers, restaurant workers -- half of the teacher force will not be going to school."
I had spoken to one theatre in my area and the manager said they didn't have any night time cleaners Monday because of this, but are expecting staff call-ins to be minimal.

I work in the restaurant business and I know over 20 people were going to "call in". We have to put servers on as cooks tomorrow due to the boycott. It should be an interesting day.

Do you expect a decline in business or large staff "call-ins"?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 05-01-2006 12:22 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this a sequel/remake of "A Day Without a Mexican" in which a large purple cloud engulfs California causing all Mexicans to disappear while disrupting traffic and communication in and out of the state?

Sorry. Couldn't pass up an opportunity to summarize that plot again. [Big Grin]

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2006 12:24 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny you say that Mike, the media here in Denver is calling it "A Day Without a Latino".

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2006 12:36 AM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know, I don't think it'll affect my theatre's attendence. Of course, I could be wrong, but, if it does, I think it'll be minimal. I won't notice it too much since I'll be in the projection booth.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2006 01:09 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This will not affect my theater. Possibly the janitorial crew, but that's the contractor's problem. If their hired workers fail to show up, they have a responsibility to cover it internally. If people call in without a proper excuse (sickness w/ doctor's note, etc.) - fire them.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-01-2006 01:20 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago, in a theater in Bristol, VA, a kid decided he was going to try to "hurt" the company by threading up the first round of movies then walking out in the middle of the set.

I walked into the theater and took over without missing a beat. The kid got canned and a few of his buddies that called off with him.

A while after that, a theater in Atlanta "lost" its manager. That manager thought it would be a good thing to do to tell all the other employees, "If I get fired, you all get fired." For one day, almost no employees showed up at all. I and the Regional Manager and, maybe 2-3 other employees ran the whole place.

The moral of the story is, in a situation like this, the best defence is to show that their presence is NOT missed. The best thing you can do is to pick up the slack, whenever and wherever you can to PROVE that their little "publicity stunt" won't work.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-01-2006 01:42 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read today that there are only about 7000 immigrants in the whole state of Montana so I can't imagine anyone here will be affected in the least. (Some farms maybe...that's where most of the immigrants work.)

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-01-2006 07:25 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It didn't affect us, although we are in the manufacturing biz, not exhibition. If they are otherwise good employees, let them have their day; they are only trying to make a point, IMHO.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2006 10:05 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The point here is the way in which they try to get the day off. If they are an otherwise good employee, and put in the request per company guidlines, great, they don't get scheduled that day. If, however, they decide to do the last-minute call-in crap, they get canned.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2006 11:49 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I havent noticed the mall custodial crew around. But it's not very dirty either...

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2006 02:16 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not in the least bit will our business be affected, but I'd sure as hell would like to find an Italian barber that will open his shop on any given Monday.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2006 03:56 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Sonoma County where about 20% of the population is Hispanic, everybody knew that they were going to need the day off. So most employers made adjustments to their schedules to accommodate them. A large construction site ran on Sunday and closed on Monday so all the workers could attend the demonstration. Most janitors work at night so they worked then went to the demonstration. Taking 2-hours off isn't going to make the economy grind to a halt.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 05-01-2006 04:36 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same thing here. The hotels and the culinary union have been coordinating so people to could participate in the various demonstrations. Even though the protestors didn't have a permit to do so, the LVMPD worked with them to close down Las Vegas Blvd so they could march up to the federal court house from the JC's park. Another group is marching on The Strip in front of both the MGM Grand and New York New York.

Me? I had lunch at my favorite neighborhood ma & pa mexican food place. They were open, in fact quite busy getting ready to open their second location just down the street in time for Cinco de Mayo. My other favorite mexican place did have to close though, since the entire staff (all 52 of them) said weeks ago they would not be coming in today. The owner Javier figures he'll lose about $14,000 in revenue today. He has mixed feelings about it.

And now this grandson of unwanted asian immigrants must finish getting ready for an airline job interview tomorrow and another job fair on Wednesday. Geez, I haven't worn a suit and tie in at least five years!

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2006 11:33 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a rally outside of Mpls. City hall, steps from the train station around 6pm. There was also a Twins game, so it was packed with head-turners. That's all I noticed.

Our custodial staff came to work, btw.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 05-02-2006 02:53 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing affected was traffic in the lower half of Manhattan, it SUCKED more than normal.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: