Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Reactions to Door Prizes/Giveaways?

Author Topic: Reactions to Door Prizes/Giveaways?
Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2006 06:28 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you done door prizes and giveaways before movies?

If so, how have they been received? Do you find you need a particular number of an item or certain value of item to make it worthwhile (non-tacky)?

For example, Akeelah and the Bee is opening on the 28th, and the board game Scrabble plays into the plot line. I had the idea of buying a bunch of games from a local store and doing a giveaway before the movie started.

How many would be appropriate? One would be too cheap, but at $7 each, it adds up quickly.

|  IP: Logged

Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2006 09:02 PM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What we do at our theatre(classic movie) is give one prize away for each ticket type(ie child, student, adult, senior, and comp). It is almost always liked by the crowd.

Cody

Matt Whitney
Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2006 09:02 PM      Profile for Matt Whitney   Email Matt Whitney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever we have done handouts, it has always just been promo materials that the studio gave us. I have gone into a theatre with as little as 5-10 items to give away. I like to do some kind of trivia contest with the audience and whoever answers correctly gets the handout. In your case you might want to do a spelling bee with winners getting the game.

Chris Mosel
Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2006 08:52 AM      Profile for Chris Mosel   Email Chris Mosel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" we attached Gold V.I.P. passes (not subject to restriction) to random Wonka Bars. We gave away 8 passes over the entire opening weekend. You would have thought they won a car or something. I guess the prize value is not as important as the relationship of the prize to the feature. We promoted it big and people reacted big.

Matt Kerekes
Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2006 09:45 PM      Profile for Matt Kerekes   Email Matt Kerekes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scrabble games sounds like a great idea, I would recommend though trying to trade out passes for the games, maybe about 10. $7.00 is about the price of a ticket, so maybe 10 passes for 10 games. IF trading out won't work, see if you can cross-promote with a toy store or something and see if they will donate the games and you can put up a sign in the lobby or something advertising where they came from. Take care.

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2006 10:46 AM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to do a larger promotion some form of scratchcard competition may be an idea.

Have some large prizes (3 month passes?), some smaller prizes (comp /popcorn vouchers, and some discounts (on popcorn etc [making sure that you still make enough profit].

To fund the printing of the cards you could get other businesses to sponsor the cards and in return have some of the cards offer a discount at their business.

You could give out cards with every ticket or with concession stand items. (local regulations may require to have a non purchace necessary entry route).

---
Door prizes will probably not get you any extra sales, but may encourage people to try to see a film at the busy times.

Luci Reeve
Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2006 05:39 PM      Profile for Luci Reeve   Author's Homepage   Email Luci Reeve   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
During SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE I made Tiramisu and gave it out in little cups as the audience was leaving the theatre. People really liked it.

On week nights we give away a free popcorn. One of my managers used to give away something from the lost and found. The audience loves it. They feel like someone cares.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: