Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » AMC Lincoln Square Pulls "Flight 93" Trailer (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: AMC Lincoln Square Pulls "Flight 93" Trailer
Stephen LaPadula
Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2006 11:07 AM      Profile for Stephen LaPadula   Email Stephen LaPadula   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before everyone bashes AMC, as some on here did after they decided not to play the Aristocrats, this isn't a case of censorship, its has more to do with taste and sensitivity. Although I am surprised that Regal's Battery Park hasn't run into the same problem (anyone can tell you Battery is far less busy than Lincoln Square) but it is across the street form the WTC site.

Being a New Yorker, I'll reserve my opinion on this until other people from across the country on this forum give theirs.

http://www.hollywood.com/news/detail/id/3488468

New Yorkers Unhappy with 9/11 Film

By WENN| Monday, April 03, 2006

United 93 Movie Stills
Photo Gallery
HOLLYWOOD - A New York City cinema has pulled the trailer for forthcoming 9/11 film United 93 after several complaints from distressed patrons.
The AMC Loews Lincoln Square movie theatre on Broadway withdrew the promo for the upcoming Paul Greengrass film, which tells the story of United Airlines Flight 93, which was hijacked and eventually crashed in Shanksville, Pennsylvania, on Sept. 11, 2001.

A manager at AMC Loews tells the New York Daily News, "I personally received a couple of complaints. Some people were pretty upset. We pulled the trailer last weekend."

One cinemagoer, Gloria Harper, who volunteered as a Ground Zero relief worker after the city's World Trade Center collapsed, says, "I covered my eyes. I couldn't watch it. I won't see the movie. I mean we lived through it."

Adam Fogelson, marketing president for Universal Pictures, who are producing and distributing the controversial film, explains, "The trailer is meant to give an honest sense of what the movie is going to be.

"We didn't use any footage that people haven't seen before, and we didn't enhance it. It's truly horrific. So we're not shocked to hear that some people find it uncomfortable."

Article Copyright World Entertainment News Network All Rights Reserved.

Related News
▪ September 11 Plane Drama to Open NY Film Festival (Reuters)
▪ 9/11 Movie Causes Further Furor
▪ Oliver Stone Promises Sensitivity in 9/11 Film

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-04-2006 11:27 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the fact that it happened to New Yorkers makes it a 'close-to-home' issue. So they were right to pull it. The distressing thing, really, is that Universal (and others to follow) is going to try to make a buck exploiting the deaths of people. Although, it's been done many times before. All the profits, and I mean the real profits not what the studios lie about, should be donated to some 9/11 fund.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 04-04-2006 12:01 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The story we heard on Fox says they're planning to give 10% of first-week grosses to some 9/11 related charity.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2006 12:02 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can understand why the NYC moviegoers don't want to see the preview...but I can also understand why filmmakers would want to tell the Flight 93 story. The people on that plane were heroes. -Matt

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-04-2006 12:49 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree it's a movie that should be made. For the past few years we've heard nothing but gripes about "nothing new from Hollywood." Now we have a true story about real heroes that has never been filmed before. If it's done right, it will make all the NYers stand up with pride.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2006 12:58 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the problem here is that the preview would have been unexpected. The movie going public wouldn't have been prepared to see it. It would be different for the actual release, because that audience will know what to expect.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 04-04-2006 01:18 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Paul Linfesty
I think the problem here is that the preview would have been unexpected.
I agree. It's a film that I want to see, but I want to be prepared for the emotions it will evoke. I still grieve and cry when I see the Towers fall. [Frown]

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 04-04-2006 01:22 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in NYC, anything dealing with the events on 9/11 will have a problem. Even with the audience knowing the release date of the films. Look Paramount has the Oliver Stone 9/11 picture coming soon too. That one deals with events in the city on that day with the Port Authority and Fire Department.

They are still having problems with who, what and when for the new buildings to go in the site of WTC.

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2006 02:21 PM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw an article on this on the news tonight:

It stated that the relatives of the passengers onboard 'United 93' had given consent.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2006 09:55 AM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The customer comes first, and if people complain sufficiently and validly then you have to do something about it. If the trailer was unexpected and in a cinema where the images are far more powerful than on TV you are going to get distressed people.

As for the film itself people have the choice not to watch it. We had so many problems with 'the Aristocrats' even though the tagline clearly mentioned unspeakable obscenity. Agree that all the profits should go to charity.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2006 07:37 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not like the idea of this movie being made for two reasons, so I’m fine with New Yorkers pulling the trailers.

1. I think it is too soon. I cannot help the feeling that there was some twisted race in Hollywood on who could be the first one to get a movie out, but not too soon otherwise it may be in poor taste. I think there should be some unwritten 10 year rule about movies regarding such a terrific event. This was only 4 ˝ years ago, so “fresh in people’s minds” is a bit of an understatement. Plus, we are still gathering information about that day, so I think it is safe to say that they really jumped the gun. I am not trying to imply that we should hide from what happened or not visit the subject, but an industry known first and foremost for entertainment could have backed off this one for awhile longer. Even the tagline reeks of Hollywood.

2. It kind of bothers me that one flight gets the focus because it never hit a target. I completely agree that those responsible for what happened on flight 93 were heroes - there is no debating that - but I do think that it somehow devalues the people on those other three planes. Without getting into a long discussion of the order of events that day, the people on the other planes are not to be assumed cowards or sheep, which is sort of being implied by the attention paid to those aboard flight 93. To put it crudely, with the risk of offending some, I doubt the other three planes will have a feature length film titled after them because their story is not nearly as great.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2006 07:52 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't UIP making another 9/11 film? Sounds awful but they probably wouldn't want the plots to overlap much so there would be two distinct films.

Jason Winn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2006 07:53 PM      Profile for Jason Winn   Email Jason Winn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the trailer to this movie last week when I saw "Inside Man." By the way, it was at AMC. I was shocked when I saw the trailer. I can't believe they're making a movie about 9/11 this soon. I agree with Chad. I think they should've waited at least 10 years before they even considered making a movie about it. And when they do make the movie, they should've made it about the entire day, not just one flight. It should feature all 4 planes, with Flight 93 being the climactic ending to the movie. I, personally, probably won't watch this movie when it comes out, but I might catch it on cable someday.

Stephen LaPadula
Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2006 08:40 PM      Profile for Stephen LaPadula   Email Stephen LaPadula   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say I am pleasantly surprised at the reactions of fellow techers.

I have 2 problems with the trailer. For one, its not like it was part of the preshow where people could choose not to see it, its shown after the lights go down and most people are settled. Making this movie was inevitable, and I've come to terms with that. the part that got me upset was showing two clips; one of a plane all but exploding into the south tower, and then a few seconds later one of the towers falling. This movie is about flight 93 right? or did I miss something? the movie is at least an hour and a half, why put those 2 clips in a 1:30 trailer?? And the poster is even more offensive: there is a plane flying over the statue of liberty with the twin towers on fire in the background: truly insensitive.

Everyone in NY knows where they were on that day; I was 3 blocks away in my Pace U dorm on the 17th fl, I had a clear view of it all. And for those like myself who lost a family member on that day, have those images thrown in your face is despicable.

For the record, the Regal theatres in NY also took off the trailer.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 04-05-2006 08:47 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's interesting is back in Feb. of this year. The cable channel A&E ran their TV Movie about the doomed United Flight 93. That airing became their most watched program with 5.9 million viewers. Every film is going to have a marketing problem. There looks like there are viewers interested in to see what happened. And that was only the second film about that day. The first film released was "The Guys" (2002), about a NYFD fire captain who lost eight men in the collapse of the World Trade Center. You would have to live here to fully understand what it was like on that day and how the city operated during this time. It was not like you saw on the news.

USA Today

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: