Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Dance Dance Revolution, hurt or help concession?

Author Topic: Dance Dance Revolution, hurt or help concession?
Gary Davidson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2006 09:18 PM      Profile for Gary Davidson   Email Gary Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone got this game in their lobby? Does the attention it attracts help or hurt concession sales, in your opinion?

|  IP: Logged

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2006 01:31 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see how it would hurt... It might help by making people thirsty..

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2006 01:31 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can see it how could annoy the hell out of lots of paying customers leading them to never come back to that cinema. And then yes, hurt concession sales. [Razz]

John Hegel
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2006 04:45 PM      Profile for John Hegel   Author's Homepage   Email John Hegel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since movie theaters are now selling the experience and (in recent times) not the movies I would say it can't hurt. If it will take your arcade one step above your competition I would go for it.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-26-2006 07:07 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemark 17 in Springfield had one of those in their lobby for a while. Not sure if it's still there. The volume needs to be cranked up on those things, and that may not be compatible with a movie theater lobby situation (although Cinemark's lobby is pretty huge and it wasn't really that close to concessions).

Robert Burtcher
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2006 05:22 PM      Profile for Robert Burtcher   Email Robert Burtcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With a DDR machine, you WILL get a lot of younger folk coming in to play. In some cases, if there aren't any other DDR machines nearby, you might end up drawing kids and teens that wouldn't normally come to the theatre.

However, since you have to crank up the volume on the machines, and since the machines *can* generate a crowd around them, I wouldn't put this in a lobby, unless the lobby is huge. If I ran a theatre, I'd only put a DDR machine in a gameroom.

As to concessions sales, if you're not in a mall location, then I would imagine they would help concessions sales. Many of my friends and I need to get something to drink after playing DDR, and if your concessions stand is the only place to get that drink... [thumbsup]

One last thing... In many markets, the newer the game version, the better. Myself, I prefer DDR Extreme (also known as 8th Mix). It has a ton of song variety. Generally, 5th Mix and up seem to be the most preferred by gamers, but 3rd and 4th Mix machines can still do business, from what I'm told.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2006 07:36 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't put DDR in a foyer, with two machines it can take up too much space and it's too loud. You'll annoy your staff with the noise as well, our entrance is set within probably the largest arcade in the UK and it's not fun on the ticket barrier sometimes!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: