Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » MPAA's Anti-Piracy website. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: MPAA's Anti-Piracy website.
Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2006 07:41 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting some of the info on the site as well as the cash awards being offered.

http://www.fightfilmtheft.org

quote:
Illegal camcording in movie theaters is the source of over 90% of all illegally copied movies in their initial release form. Camcording in movie theaters is a federal felony punishable by steep fines and up to three years in prison, and is also a criminal violation under state law in most states.

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2006 07:46 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
90% eh?

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 03-25-2006 09:46 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But how do they stabilize the camcorder picture and why insert the timecode readout?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-25-2006 11:27 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The operative words are:

quote:
in their initial release form
The timecoded pre-screener is NOT the initial release form.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 03-26-2006 09:00 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but Dave has a point; The question really is: What percentage of illegally copied movies come from theaters? I don't see that number on the MPAA. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's a problem, but theaters are not the only problem. You what Mark Twain said about statistics [Smile]

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 03-26-2006 09:30 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Suspect Seating Arrangements — Movie thieves try to place themselves in the middle of the theater, and they will often try to shield themselves by having accomplices sit on either side. Please remain alert.
Yes, it's really suspicious when somebody sits in the middle of the theater, and there's somebody sitting on either side of them; isn't it?

John Joseph Fink
Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2006 09:42 AM      Profile for John Joseph Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John Joseph Fink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The police need to crack down on those selling it on the streets for five bucks - put those people in jail, threaten them and then go after the larger distribution networks. If the MPAA would box them in from both sides they may actually make some progress in this country.

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2006 10:42 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Canada becomes film piracy target
quote:
Canada becomes film piracy target

TORONTO, Dec. 11 (UPI) -- Canada is the newest enemy in the film industry's war against piracy and Montreal is the No. 1 city in the world for illegal recording of feature films.

Ninety percent of illegal DVDs being sold are the result of a camcorder recording straight off a cinema screen, Serge Corriveau of the Canadian Motion Picture Distribution Association told Variety. He said 40 percent to 50 percent of the camcorded DVDs are made in Montreal.

Because movies are released in French and English in Montreal, it gives pirates a leg up on the European market, Corriveau said.

While the duplication is done in Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver have become major players in the bootleg black market.

Variety said 40,000 pirated DVDs were seized in Canada last year. So far this year, the number is around 500,000.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-26-2006 06:23 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ideas for MPAA:

1. Day & date releases to video. This saves the thief the bother of the camera. He just buys what he needs.

2. Other plan, start your own MPAA piracy firm, be good at it and put the other pirates out-of-business. Louis

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2006 04:07 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was talking to someone from the MPAA at Showest and I told him that it would help considerably to post real situations where cases of theft have gone to prosecution.

I got what was probably a patronizing "thanks for the info, we'll consider it" reply, but he feigned interest well enough to get me out of his hair.

The MPAA prosecuting camcorder thieves is the stuff of urban legend. I'd love to see a running record of how many people have been caught as a result of the MPAA's efforts to crack down on moviegoers. The only reason I can think of that it hasn't been done is that it isn't substantial enough to make for good marketing material.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2006 04:13 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
1. Day & date releases to video. This saves the thief the bother of the camera. He just buys what he needs.

Or steals it from the store. Get those loss-prevention people involved with it! [Smile]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-27-2006 09:30 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Jentsch
The MPAA prosecuting camcorder thieves is the stuff of urban legend. I'd love to see a running record of how many people have been caught as a result of the MPAA's efforts to crack down on moviegoers. The only reason I can think of that it hasn't been done is that it isn't substantial enough to make for good marketing material.
The MPAA used to issue press releases about major "busts" and prosecutions on their website. Remember, the anti-piracy code on prints is used primarily to identify theatres or channels of distribution that have a high incidence of being a source of illegal copies, and is not normally a significant part of the evidence presented to the court.

Bob Jones
Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2006 09:39 PM      Profile for Bob Jones   Email Bob Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL - the MPAA is a joke - and their campaign is even more of a joke. I was recently traveling and stopped at a major truck stop for gas. Because the pay-at-the-pump reader was not working - I went to the cashier - and while I was standing there - a foot high stack of DVDs placed near the register caught my attention. I started flipping through them - and it dawned on me that they were films which were still in wide release. After further inspection, the homemade nature of the color dvd sleeve was apparent - and it was shrink wrapped.

So - crazy me - I said I'll call the local FBI office. Got the run around there. Called the local office of the U.S. Attorney who covers the area - got some interest - but they pawned it off to U.S. Customs & Homeland Security who would have to initiate any action. I was informed that the FBI no longer handles such cases of copyright/piracy, etc. - and to ignore all those FBI WARNINGS. So -- I called the regional customs office - got the run around. Then decided to call the MPAA -- oh boy - those guys are a bunch of tools for sure. Even less interest -- after numerous transfers of "who might be able to help me."

So - needless to say - I've lost all interest in the subject - and will not be going out of my way for the effort.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-28-2006 01:22 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear you're giving up the fight, Bob. ("Southeast U.S.A." -- Isn't there a Film-Tech rule of using actual location names on posts?)

Edit - guess not, I just changed mine. [Big Grin]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-28-2006 05:33 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually yes the city and state is required or we'll boot you as we notice.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: