Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Question for Carl Martin, Eric Hooper; Others

Author Topic: Question for Carl Martin, Eric Hooper; Others
Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2006 04:38 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Carl, Eric, others:

Just curious - How is it that the Oaks Theatre in Berkeley, CA has only three showings a day on first run movies? For example: "Don't Come Knocking" opens Friday with a 2:00, 5:00, 8:00 showings. They also did this with "Aquamarine". Don't the studios require at least 4 shows a day (except maybe when a movie is very long like 2 hours 45 min).

Just curious,

Mike

|  IP: Logged

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 03-22-2006 08:37 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Competition may drive scheduling, depending on the market. At our indoor, we were only "required" to have two shows... one of which had to be after "matinee hours".

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2006 12:00 AM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been in this business for 40 years now. I've run first run, subrun and discount theatres. Distributors have often told me that a picture must be played "clean", not split with another picture, or must have at least one evening show or at least one matinee show... but have NEVER ever suggested that I must play any certain number of shows per day.

Back in the good old days I had several large, 1200 to 1800 seat, downtown first run movie palaces that ran continuous all day long. In the early 70s when the suburban plexes started popping up and business went down the tubes at those large old houses, I often cut back to only one show a night on weeknights. No one ever said a word about it.

Although I no longer own or operate any first run houses, I still book several, and we schedule showings however we want, again often with only one show on weeknights. Who cares how many shows there are as long as the grosses are there.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2006 05:20 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
when metropolitan took over the oaks, they started dropping the last set of shows, and generally having the same schedule all week long. actually this coming week is an exception. stay alive will have a late show over the weekend and all the showtimes will shift a bit after the weekend (bad idea, guys!).

i don't know if you've ever been on solano ave. late at night, but if you have, you were probably the only one. the neighborhood shuts down early. maybe it's some stupid zoning issue, i don't know.

actually it's not at all unusual for a 2- or 3-screener not to have a full day's worth of shows even when a film opens (that's not expected to be a hit). the acts (4 more days until shutdown) only had evening shows monday-friday with very rare exceptions, for the last 5 years or so. at the cal, we tend to vacillate between having 3 or 4 showings a weekday.

anyways, it's odd you should ask me about the oaks; i've actually been working there (in addition) the last few weeks. if you come by sunday night or monday, say hi.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-23-2006 12:18 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it was the last Harry Potter movie, there was a clause in the contract that you had to have at least 2 shows per day. But, our booker got permission from WB for us to run our usual schedule of 1 show on weeknights.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2006 12:54 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also ran Harry Potter for one show through the week...but I didn't have to get special permission or anything. - Matt

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2006 02:12 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THE ACTS ARE CLOSING?????????

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2006 04:16 PM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yup, 'fraid so. sunday's the last day.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: