Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Goldern State Theatre

Author Topic: Goldern State Theatre
Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2006 06:02 AM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I came across a website for the Goldern State Theatre in Monterey CA (www.goldernstatetheatre.com), what a unquie Cinema!.

Has anyone visited this Theatre and wondered if it is well supported as they seam to programme old movies, just wondered if it is the venue or the films that is the attraction?.

|  IP: Logged

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2006 01:29 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It should be www.goldenstatetheatre.com (lose the r in golden).

This used to be a 'tri-plexed' UA location. (The baclony was split into two different 'upstairs' theatres. Typical UA 70's plexing.)

It was bought from Regal and restored to its original condition. IT IS AWESOME!!!

Also see here!

Now, if only someone would do the same for the Alexandria Theatre. (The Golden State was 'tri-plexed' in this same fashion.)

Warren Dewey
Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2006 02:17 AM      Profile for Warren Dewey   Author's Homepage   Email Warren Dewey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the kind words about the Golden State Theatre (although Goldern State Theatre is kind of catchy). The web site is entirely the work of Al Mercado, who also designs our brochures and posters. I bought the theater about a year and a half ago, and I think it's one of only a few old palaces that have been "monoplexed" after being multiplexed in the seventies.

Actually, it does not really qualify as a "palace" at only about 1000 seats. The programming is mostly classic film, and we also do live shows and concerts. There's a stage behind the screen and dressing rooms downstairs. The 110-member Army Field Band played here last Friday.

Luckily the acoustics turned out to be quite good, once the added walls were removed. There's a nice 'Easter Egg' at the bottom of the Restoration Images page that shows a little stop-motion movie, shot from the top of the balcony, of the triplex walls coming down as the main screen is revealed.

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2006 11:55 AM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, its nice to hear of one of the original Golden State Theatres ( predicessor to the UATC "UNITED ARTISTS THEATRE CIRCUIT") preserved! I haven't been in there in over 25 years! Last time it was still a UA triplex..(too bad) Now if we could only save some of the other GS / UATC houses that were triplexed and now derilect like the State in Marysville California. At least the Del Oro in Grass Valley Cal. is still in operation and I hope the owner Mike Getz will someday return it from the dreggs of a UA tri back to the beautiful single it once was!! Congratulations on preserving a great art deco theatre from what was once a great theatre circuit!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: