Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » When do you run your theatre’s PSA?

Author Topic: When do you run your theatre’s PSA?
Gary Davidson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2006 02:49 PM      Profile for Gary Davidson   Email Gary Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As you ramp up to the feature presentation, at what point do you run your theatre’s public service announcement about turning off your cell phones, no talking, etc.?

|  IP: Logged

Jason Winn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2006 04:14 PM      Profile for Jason Winn   Email Jason Winn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At AMC, we did it in this order:

1. Coming soon snipe

2. trailers

3. Silence is Golden snipe (no cell phones, talking, etc.)

4. Feature Presentation snipe

5. Finally, the feature

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-13-2006 05:55 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We don't run anything except: Trailers, Dolby logo, Feature.

We do have a sign near the ticket window asking people to turn off their cellphones.

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2006 08:39 AM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer to run the cell phone PSA prior to the last trailer before the feature. That way, when people are messing with their phones to turn them off, it's during a trailer and not at the beginning of the feature presentation. I was very surprised to see how effective the cell phone PSA was, as about 10% of our guests would pull their phone out and turn it off after it played.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-14-2006 02:28 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only one of the theatres where I currently work runs a policy trailer and they play it first in the trailer order. They are showing a generic Pike Productions trailer and it works well at that theatre.

The only other real option would be to run the policy immediately before the start of the feature, but I think I prefer that the policy and/or concession promo be shown first (unless the policy in question is a combo policy/feature presentation trailer).

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2006 12:50 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. trailers

2. attached trailer

3. fire trailer snipe (per code)

4. policy trailer

5. feature presentation snipe

Beth Smith
Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2006 10:22 PM      Profile for Beth Smith   Email Beth Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We run our policy right before the start of the actual film.

However, we have our own "live" version. Managers enter the auditorium and make a general announcement welcoming patrons and reminding them to silence their cell phones and keep the audience level to a minimum. As we exit, the film starts. Customers love it; it adds a personal touch while getting the message across.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-16-2006 08:20 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Beth Smith
However, we have our own "live" version. Managers enter the auditorium and make a general announcement welcoming patrons and reminding them to silence their cell phones and keep the audience level to a minimum. As we exit, the film starts. Customers love it; it adds a personal touch while getting the message across.

I appreciate theatres that still value showmanship. [thumbsup]

Paul Van Dusen
Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2006 01:14 AM      Profile for Paul Van Dusen   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Van Dusen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually run ours like this:

1. Fire
2. Comercials (annoying yes, but i have no choice)
3. Trailers
4. Policy Trailer
5. DTS (where applicable)
6. Attached Trailers
7. Feature

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 03-21-2006 02:29 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
--Lights full--
Digital Ads
Digital Policy Trailer
Digital PSA
Digital Trailers (if any)
--SpotLights Off, Sconces medium--
35mm PSA (if any)
35mm trailers
35mm Attached trailer
--All lights down--
Dolby/DTS
Attached short subject (if any)
Feature!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: