Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Trailer Checker Job (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Trailer Checker Job
Jason M Miller
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2006 02:57 PM      Profile for Jason M Miller   Email Jason M Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know who to contact to become a trailer checker for a studio?

|  IP: Logged

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 03-08-2006 06:27 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that even a position that exists? I was under the impression that studios outsourced trailer creation to marketing firms.

I could be very wrong.

I could make better trailers than any of the bozo's that currently do them.

Ciao

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 03-08-2006 07:01 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that is a real position. The studio hires a firm to send people to go and check that theatres are playing the right trailers. They check one or two screens and drive to the next theatre and check them.

In the Hollywood and Westwood first run houses, staff from the studio's publicity and marketing departments do spot checks on trailer placements. And it would get back to the studio that night.

When the studios released important releases they would also use TAP to grade theatre opening presentations and then they would go back to regrade the print condition and rolling stock and report back to the studio on how the print looked and how the theatre handled prints. [thumbsup]

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2006 08:13 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dave Williams
Is that even a position that exists? I was under the impression that studios outsourced trailer creation to marketing firms.
Dave,
I think you've misunderstood the original question. He's not asking about the creation of trailers; he's referring to "trailer checkers," people who are hired by auditing companies working for the studios to ensure trailer programming agreements are being met.

The trailer checker typically is only given the name of the feature film to attend. They won't know which trailer(s) they're checking to ensure has been included in the group of trailers playing before the feature. The checker will report the titles and sequence of the trailers back to the conmpany, who then will communicate with the hiring studio. Checking the presence and placement of posters, lobby displays, etc. are sometimes part of the checking process.

Not a lot of pay but excellent perks.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-09-2006 04:03 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..and why some large circuits have trailer lists to give to their booth personnel for each movie that the film companies wants on what certain movies of trailer titles..

..and the trailer checkers make sure that the list of trailers that they have from the studios match what required trailers are supposed to be on the screen.

And if their is any differences, the checkers report this back and there better be some questions answered that are asked by the studios to the circuits on these differences.

Can get a bit ugly at times..for the circuits.. - monte

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2006 04:48 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean for the projectionists. I've been blamed for non-compliance several times from various companies and studios, even though I did everything I could to get the requests on the films. The approach is to assume the booth staff screwed up, rather than the assigners, shippers, checkers, etc.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-09-2006 04:58 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lol..I was going to add the word 'projectionists' in here, but unfortunately, we're getting to be a dying breed in this industry since most circuits rather have "booth operators" in these positions - partly skilled and the "I-don't-know-what-I'm-doing", or "do I use a hammer to fix this?" skilled.

-Monte

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-09-2006 11:55 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Noting the trailers is a part of the checklist if you do any screen checks for DCMI, Dolby Cinema Monitoring, Inc. I only get to do those about once a year or so here - last picture I checked was Domino. Can't live on the pay at that rate but it's a pleasant way to spend the occasional day. Helps if you live in a market area big enough to get the studios' attention. There's threads here on how to sign up to be a Dolby screen checker.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2006 02:19 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are serveral companies that do this, one of the largest is Certified Reports. Click on their "Contact Us" and follow the link to apply to be a checker.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2006 10:13 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From CRI's web site "BLIND CHECKS
CRI checkers will covertly attend showtimes to observe attendance and any other "special" observations you require.

FULL SERVICE OPEN AND BLIND CHECKING
In addition to the Open and Blind checking described above, CRI's trained and professional in-house staff will vigorously review box office reports to checker reports, reporting to you any underreporting and/or potential red flags pointing to underreporting. CRI's thorough analysis goes beyond comparing patrons counted to tickets sold—we scrutinize ticket prices, handling procedures, free passes and promotions, and any other potential underreporting problems."

Covert, gee, the same checker does open checks for years, then comes in to do a blind check, yeah that's covert. [Big Grin]

This is freakin hilarious. They don't train checkers about squat. Most checkers have absolutely no idea what they are doing or have a clue as to WHY they are doing it. I have refused in the past to let checkers in or sign their stinkin reports because of the checker standing in the corner of the lobby pickin his butt the entire time, then filling out the paper work and making up crap to put in it.

OR, they inform me at the start of the shift that they will call me later to get the numbers and then they leave. They want the manager to sign their blank reports. No siree Bob.

Of course he doesn't understand that his fictious report could get a theatre in mucho trouble. So I kick their sorry butts out and then report them to the film company that hired the check.

Such a friggin joke. /rant

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-10-2006 12:49 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a good job for a TV weatherman...or other incompetent moonlighter. Louis

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-10-2006 05:49 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Incompetent moonlighter? Sign me up!

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 03-10-2006 10:27 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Coate
Dave,
I think you've misunderstood the original question. He's not asking about the creation of trailers; he's referring to "trailer checkers," people who are hired by auditing companies working for the studios to ensure trailer programming agreements are being met.

Yeah, I think we all get that I am completely dumb on this issue. [Confused]

I think bill covered that i missed the boat entirely in his comments before yours.
quote: Bill Gabel
Yes, that is a real position. The studio hires a firm to send people to go and check that theatres are playing the right trailers. They check one or two screens and drive to the next theatre and check them.

I however appreciate your pointing out how stupid I am [evil]

It wouldn't be the first time. Some of you may remember one of my first postings many many years ago when I reacted to a very FAKE [Mad] thread about altering classic movies. I can't even remember what it was about, but man did I feel sheepish! [Eek!] What a way to get introduced! [Razz]

No really though Michael, all things considered and in good humor, point well taken, and I should have known better! [Roll Eyes] It wasn't too long ago I was knee deep in the industry that I should have remembered this stuff.

It really goes to show you that too many people have just given up on this medium, both inside and outside the industry.

Ciao

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 03-11-2006 10:40 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had our first trailer checker last year. The person announced what trailer she was looking for, and waited for our show to start so that she could verify that we hadn't put it on. Funny... it was some trailer that was supposed to be in the can, but wasn't. We explained that to her, but she stayed anyway.

quote: Brad Allen
I have refused in the past to let checkers in or sign their stinkin reports because of the checker standing in the corner of the lobby pickin his butt the entire time, then filling out the paper work and making up crap to put in it.

No kidding. We tossed a checker once because she showed up on her second day with 3 friends under the tonneau cover of her pickup. What a box of rocks! She blew in, in broad daylight, and parked at the opposite side of the property from the screen she was supposed to be checking. With no other cars in the field, her friends piled out & wandered around the lot. Some stealth there! [Smile]

Jason M Miller
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2006 01:57 PM      Profile for Jason M Miller   Email Jason M Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the information, I saw these guys come in all the time and I thought that would be a cool way to make some quick cash.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: