Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » trailer order (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: trailer order
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-27-2006 06:43 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When programming trailers, do you show them in:

a) release-date order (soonest first)
b) reverse release-date order (soonest last)
c) random order
- or -
d) some other order that I haven't thought of?

One theatre I know always runs everything in reverse-release date order (to the point of changing the trailer order if release dates change); when I make up my own trailer reels, I usually do release-date order (with dater tags between) for no particular reason other than that it makes sense to me to do it that way. This assumes that one will only show trailers for films that are booked for the theatre in question. Does anyone show trailers for films that aren't confirmed bookings and, if so, why?

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-27-2006 09:30 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reverse playdate order.

Our schedule is set weeks/months in advance. I already know what's going to play and what trailers I have on hand.

Each week, when you break down the print it's very easy to pull the last trailer off the ring before you build next week's show. New Additions can be center-dropped quite easily.

If you do things right, you center-drop a new trailer into the program. Each time you drop a new one you pull an old one from the outside. Trailers will magically seem to migrate from the center to the outside of the pack.

Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2006 10:06 PM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the case of a single screen:
Reverse Release Date Order to maximize the number of eyes seeing the trailer for the film coming in next.
In a multi or if I don't have trailers for our next title(s):
Shortest to longest. This just feels right. I'll also try my best to group the trailers by format where applicable. If we're showing a scope film with 1.85 matted for scope trailers I'll group all those matted trailers first followed by the widescreen trailers.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-27-2006 10:22 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I try to put the trailer we've been running the longest first. The crowd has seen it before and so it has no major effect, and gives them time to settle down.

If I have a brand new trailer for a huge upcoming blockbuster, I'll put that last -- or the movie most anticipated, at least. I want to leave a big dose of "Wow, I want to see that one!" leading into the feature.

Since we don't run ads, Disney's "Cars" trailer that looks like a car commercial is a cool one to place at the end just before the feature.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2006 10:24 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
5 Trailers
3 Each From Random Film Companies in spots 1,2,3
Spots 4 & 5 go to the enclosed and attached trailers from the release print company

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2006 04:14 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
usually run 2 trailers on each feature.

I place the next to play last , so that customers who always arrive late will get to see the trailer for the next new release film.

I try to match suitable trailers with the film the are about to watch. for example I would run "Hostel" trailer on Wolf Creek with the idea if people enjoy what they have come to see , we will have more of a similar nature coming soon.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-28-2006 04:28 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If a flat trailer pack, I try and program the "letterboxed" trailer first, as this is a nice guarantee that the projector is in perfect framing. Otherwise, I play them in release date order, even if that means the attached is the first thing on the roll. This way it is rare for more than the first trailer, or maybe the first two, to have any handling past the initial assembly. It also makes trailer changing that much easier.

If a scope trailer pack, I try and program the "flat matted" trailers first, so the picture only gets bigger. Otherwise I go by the standard release date order.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2006 10:40 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At Muller we programmed earliest-latest & no features that were more than two months out (unless trailer stock was low). At St. Anthony it's mostly random, but we stick to obvious content matching. We like to place trailers based on what we assume we'll be booking, but going week-by-week it's hard to tell sometimes.

Ideally, I like to see each available trailer & just go by what runs well together in particular orders. And of course, I'd have Coke Fantana Invasion snipes [Mad]

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 02-28-2006 12:17 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the first run GCC and Pacific Theatres in Hollywood / Westwood and select Los Angeles areas. The booking department made the call on the trailer placements. Because of what the studio wanted the lineup tobe.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2006 01:47 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We play in reverse-release date order.
And we match trailers to the movie, i.e. I'll cut a comedy off of a horror flick in favor of a darker trailer.

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2006 03:16 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At my current job ... the order is set by corporate. In the past when I've been able to determine the order, I would do it similar to Mike B... and put the trailer that I thought would have the most impact as the last one before the feature. If I felt they were all about the same, then usually earliest to latest start date. (but if the start date changed, I didn't feel any need to alter the placements). Also, if building multiple prints that require the same trailers, I'd alter the order, or at the very least, the first trailer.

quote: Scott Norwood
Does anyone show trailers for films that aren't confirmed bookings and, if so, why?
Yes, in all booths I've worked in, we've run trailers for films that we haven't booked yet. I've never been in charge of booking, so I might not be the right one to answer, but in my opinion, getting an audience exposed to titles that will be shown theatrically is a good thing.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2006 07:20 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Release -date order. I deal with multiple screens It's easier to remove that first trailer when the release date comes around. Sometimes I will substitute another trailer in it's place, but if the remaining trailers in the pack total 10 or more minutes, I don't add another one.

If we end up playing a film for a long run, and the trailers become dated, I'll pull the whole pack and substitute a new one.

If the attached trailer makes it to it's release date, it gets pulled and I will try to replace it with another trailer from that company, provided I have one in stock and it's appropriate for the feature it's to be played with (per subject matter, rating, etc.).

Kenneth Tiffany
Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2006 07:25 PM      Profile for Kenneth Tiffany   Email Kenneth Tiffany   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever trailer the person building wants to see the most goes first. Then, 2 more they want to see.

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2006 08:35 PM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Films we don't know the booking status play first, if there is room after we place trailers for films we are confirmed for. Films we know we are getting go on closest to the feature. That way, stragglers that miss the first few trailers still see the ones we know are coming to our theater.

Naturally, as soon as we find out we are not getting something, all materials for it are taken down (posters, trailers, etc).

If we know we are not getting a film, and it's trailer is attached to something we are playing, we remove it only if we have another trailer from the same company that is being removed to replace it. We do not like to knowingly advertise for the competitor.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-01-2006 12:01 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a better question...

If you open a new movie and the attached trailer comes out ONE WEEK LATER, do you even bother putting it on? I know "studio contracts" require it, but seriously guys...do you?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: