Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Sub run question

Author Topic: Sub run question
Stephen LaPadula
Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2006 06:47 PM      Profile for Stephen LaPadula   Email Stephen LaPadula   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Say I run a 25 screen theatre; would I be able to show 1st run movies on 20 of the screens and charge $10.00, and then use 5 of the screens to show titles that have slipped in to the sub run eand charge $2.50?

I'm thinking probably not, but maybe not a bad way to attract attendance during slow months or an incentive to watch something else when popular titles sell out as opposed to leaving.

|  IP: Logged

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 02-25-2006 07:34 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My guess would be whatever you are able to book, you can show. The price tier I would hope wouldn't cause any extra complications, as sub-runs would probably be contracted that way by definition.

My first theatre was an 8-plex discount house that had five of the auditoriums at a dollar a ticket, earning us the unofficial title of "dollar theatre" among patrons, inaccurately. This was because our three "premium" auditoriums had relatively newer movies, sometimes even first-run--though we never opened a movie on its opening day--and we charged $3 adults, $2 others.

Of course, we had our booking done at a corporate level.

The only problem we had, in practice, was having the proper staff/security on hand to check tickets and make sure that dollar-ticket holders weren't sneaking into the prem-o houses. That was NOT fun, as our indignant and poor, cheap-ass regulars were ALWAYS trying to pull the "I dropped my ticket/threw it away" routine over on us.

(Edit: Post 600! Hello, and welcome to post 600. Yay me.)

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 02-26-2006 01:08 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know nothing about your market... but isn't that a rather drastic pricing difference? I wonder if it might not cause people to wait, knowing a good show will probably stay at your theatre and drop to the sub-run rate. At $2.50 admit might also gain you a class of customer you'd rather not have in the building. Over here, the dollar-discount admission was popular when one of our area theatres first started it... but the building was soon trashed by people who could care less about the place. A lot of other stuff was going on in the auditoriums... none of which had anything to do with what was on the screen.

At $10.50 for premium admission, half that would still seem a good deal... at least looking at it from the other side of the country!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-26-2006 02:05 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
something that you'd have to work with the booker and the film companies to ensure the split. But unfortunately, it really doesn't work in the long run especially you have to "babysit" the customers to ensure that they're in the right houses.

Plus, on the first runs and with hot movies, there might be checkers to make sure that your attendance matches the ticket sales for that one house..and if the numbers don't rightly match up and since they have to report all of this, you could get into big, big trouble with the film companies...

..they "control" you, you know.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2006 04:22 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would make more sense to me to just hold the product longer. Many people would rather just watch it later when the crowds die down, regardless of the price.
That's what Bargain Tuesday is for.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2006 04:20 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Dominic, we run 1 release and sub run mix depending on whats out there and what will work in our town , we charge the same price for both and discounts on tuesday.

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2006 09:26 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another option would be to offer double features on the second run product while maintaining full admision prices.

Mike

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2006 02:54 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In some markets, studios will not make the title available for sub-run in a general area until all the first-run sites take it off screen. There are exceptions, depending on the number of prints they want to keep on screens. You have to ask.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: